Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    All this talk of DMB for some reason reminded me of the SNL skit Dave did. He does a great Ozzy Osbourne and Bill Hader played Dave. Classic...

https://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-l...ow-show/n12938
    "That young man has an extra step on his ladder the rest of us just don't have."

Quote Originally Posted by rasputin View Post
    Since Maestro Slatkin was the Music Director of the St. Louis Symphony Orchestra for many years, I have a number of recordings of his. One of the very best of these is of Carmina Burana.
    I've got that recording myself. My wife and I went to grad school in St. Louis (her in microbiology, me in law), and the tickets were pretty much literally given away to students. Their venue, Powell Hall, was an old movie theater with ridiculously great inside acoustics but lousy sound-proofing, so you could hear every note...as long as an ambulance wasn't going by at the time. I wonder how they even recorded in there, but Carmina was recorded at Powell. The playing was magnificent day in and day out. Susan Slaughter on principal trumpet was exceptional.
    Last edited by Phredd3; 05-14-2020 at 04:26 PM. Reason: Missing comma. I [i]hate[/] that.

Has anyone mentioned Cake yet?

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Chocolate or Carrot?

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Chocolate or Carrot?
    I thought we only did pie around here. Ymmm, Pie!
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Are they still around? My roommates at the time and I went through a huge Cake phase in the late 90s - we constantly played Sheep Go to Heaven

Now my waistband would confirm I am going through a different kind of cake phase - preferably chocolate.

I'm still a classic rock guy. How many remember 94.7 WQDR in Durham in the 70's? Of the current artists I do like Joe Bonamassa and Lifehouse.
    Tom Mac

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Are they still around? My roommates at the time and I went through a huge Cake phase in the late 90s - we constantly played Sheep Go to Heaven

Now my waistband would confirm I am going through a different kind of cake phase - preferably chocolate.
    Very unique band and talented. Not sure of their current status. I remember seeing them early on in a small venue and talking to them after the show. They were surprised that “How Do You Afford Your Rock and Roll Lifestyle?” was their first hit. Hey, I still like the song.

I'm guilty of largely being stuck in the 60s and 70s, but there are a few current artists I enjoy. At the top of my list are a couple that I surprisingly haven't seen listed yet:

Jack Johnson
    NC's own Avett Brothers

I also enjoy:
    Zac Brown Band
    Red Hot Chili Peppers
    DMB
    Coldplay
    Tribal Seeds
    Tedeschi Trucks Band

and like what little I've heard from:
    Tyler Childers
    Leon Bridges
    Caamp
    Black Pumas

A few have mentioned Jason Isbell. New album out today, and it doesn't suck. In fact, it's excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke79UNLV77 View Post
    A few have mentioned Jason Isbell. New album out today, and it doesn't suck. In fact, it's excellent.
    Yup, the frequent mentions in this thread got me curious about Isbell, and I checked out his new album, too. Agree that it's excellent.

As a Pandora listener, this thread has given lots of new fodder for new stations! Thanks everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke79UNLV77 View Post
    Very unique band and talented. Not sure of their current status. I remember seeing them early on in a small venue and talking to them after the show. They were surprised that “How Do You Afford Your Rock and Roll Lifestyle?” was their first hit. Hey, I still like the song.
    My now teenage daughters used to love dancing and singing along to "Short Skirt Long Jacket" 12 or so years ago...

I hate to show my age....but there's not a lot of "popular" music after about 1989 that I like.

But I do like Mayer Hawthorne. Of course, many people think he is a throw-back to the "1960's, Mo-town" sound:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNP990BX9Nk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBKx8PyE5qQ

Second the Joe Bonamassa. Awesome live show and luckily he has come to Richmond every tour.

Also like listening to X Ambassadors. Another great live act.

Quote Originally Posted by accfanfrom1970 View Post
    I second St. Paul and the Broken Bones. Also, Greta Van Fleet.
    Being a huge Zeppelin fan, I have a hard time listening to Greta Van Fleet. Friends have said "If you love Zeppelin, you'll love them." But all I can think when I listen is "This song sounds just like (insert Zeppelin song here)" I've finally given up.
    "That young man has an extra step on his ladder the rest of us just don't have."

Quote Originally Posted by luvdahops View Post
    Yup, the frequent mentions in this thread got me curious about Isbell, and I checked out his new album, too. Agree that it's excellent.
    I had tix to see him in Mobile late March. Love his music. Virus cancelled. Also have Tedeschi Trucks tix in Jacksonville late June. Still on but wary about going. I have seen them several times and they get better every year.

I haven’t seen anyone mention Billy Strings. Incredible guitar player and performer. A bluegrass player from Michigan?? We didn’t see many like him growing up in Graham County.

Saw a Carolina Chocolate Drops mention. Rhiannon Giddens is solo now and I could listen to her sing all night. Lost on the River is beautiful.

Tyler Childers and Yola also among my new favorites. It’s hard keeping up at 70, but I’m all in. Happy Friday!

Quote Originally Posted by Nrrrrvous View Post
    The entire Good Company album is on regular rotation in my truck. This song in particular keeps me whistling and snapping my fingers...

Yes, I've really been enjoying this band the last few days and think they'll be with me for a while. My wife does not find it amusing that I put a tiny cowboy hat on our 4 month old son and play "The Bastard Son", then take a video of him dancing to that bit where they sing "I don't feel no more, I just want liquor and dirty wh*res.."

She gets even madder when I send it to the grandparents.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Yes, I've really been enjoying this band the last few days and think they'll be with me for a while. My wife does not find it amusing that I put a tiny cowboy hat on our 4 month old son and play "The Bastard Son", then take a video of him dancing to that bit where they sing "I don't feel no more, I just want liquor and dirty wh*res.."

She gets even madder when I send it to the grandparents.
    I love it!

I hope this doesn't compromise my candidacy for Mt. Hatemore, but this is pretty cool:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IcIeW1bd8Q