Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Nrrrrvous View Post
    Any recordings from the past ten years you are particularly fond of?
    Not from the past ten years. The best recording I've heard of The Rite of Spring and The Firebird were conducted by Leonard Bernstein.

One recording I'm particularly fond of, that is just over 10 years, is of Shostakovich Symphony # 11 "the Year 1905" by the Royal Liverpool Philharmonic, conducted by Vasily Petrenko.

I've very recently been introduced to Zac Brown Band (I know, I'm usually late to every party) and quickly becoming a fan.
    I'm a big Zac Brown Band fan. My wife and I have seen them in concert 5 or 6 times, including earlier this year at PNC in Raleigh. I like that some of their music is beach oriented and country music is a genre that I've learned to like over that last 10-15 years. In concert they are really good musicians. At least one song or mash up of songs in every concert is basically them just showing off musical skill.

One of my pet peeves is many people that are my age (52) that only listen to old music. I mean, I like classic rock but time didn't stop and old bands aren't better than new ones no matter how strong the nostalgia around them.

Lake Street Dive.

Tedeschi Trucks

Getting into Jazz a bit, found Robert Glasper, and that has me listening to some of his hip-hop/rap tunes. Fun. Scares the kids.

Any recordings from the past ten years you are particularly fond of?
    Leonard Slatkin with the Detroit Symphony has released several recent recordings of Aaron Copland works. I love Slatkin's versions. Very articulate. They are Naxos, so very good sound quality, too. I especially like the Billy the Kid release.

We have lots of threads these days discussing the Beatles/Stones, ranking old bands, etc. I'd really like to hear what current artists everyone is listening to. I'll randomly set the limit to active in the past ten years. I'll start with a few of my own favorites, in no particular order, but I'm always looking for new and different artists to check out...
    Joji, Mac Miller, Vampire Weekend. Harry Styles, Dominic Fike, Alexander 23, Beabadoobee, Chance the Rapper, Kanye West, Zach Villiere, The Weeknd, Dijon, Rex Orange County, Cuco, Lorde, Francis And the Lights, Billie Eilish, Charlie Puth, and Post Malone, to name a few.

These are some of the more recent artists who my 16-year-old son has introduced to me. Whenever we are playing tennis or working out together he brings a Bluetooth speaker and I hear this music. I have grown to enjoy listening to virtually all of these artists. I was skeptical at first, but I’ve been won over.

So yeah, don’t assume (I’m not saying you did) that just because someone likes classic rock and loves The Beatles and the Rolling Stones that therefore means that is the only music said person enjoys and listens to. One can listen to a LOT of music in nearly 5 decades.

Quote Originally Posted by luvdahops View Post
    Shins
    Strokes
    Spoon
    Fitz & the Tantrums
    Guster
    St. Paul & the Broken Bones
    Michael Kiwanuka
    Parquet Courts
    Foxygen
    Deerhunter
    Caamp
    I second St. Paul and the Broken Bones. Also, Greta Van Fleet.

I've very recently been introduced to Zac Brown Band (I know, I'm usually late to every party) and quickly becoming a fan.
    Awesome man. I saw them just before they hit mainstream. A street concert in downtown Raleigh for $10. One of the best concert experiences ever. I told my wife, girlfriend at the time, they're going to be around a while.

Have seen them 4 or 5 times since. Always a good show, excellent musicians.

What's your favorite songs?

Quote Originally Posted by elvis14 View Post
    I'm a big Zac Brown Band fan. My wife and I have seen them in concert 5 or 6 times, including earlier this year at PNC in Raleigh. I like that some of their music is beach oriented and country music is a genre that I've learned to like over that last 10-15 years. In concert they are really good musicians. At least one song or mash up of songs in every concert is basically them just showing off musical skill.

One of my pet peeves is many people that are my age (52) that only listen to old music. I mean, I like classic rock but time didn't stop and old bands aren't better than new ones no matter how strong the nostalgia around them.
    We've probably crossed paths, seem them almost as much, and at PNC too.

Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post
    Let's see. I'm pretty traditional in my music, but not necessarily in the musicians.

Foxes and Fossils
    First Aid Kit
    Gabriella Quevedo
    Emma Bale
    Uncle Jed
    Ha! Foxes and Fossils, amazing cover band!
    Another guilty pleasure: Hayde Bluegrass Orchestra, a Norwegian band that does great covers of Emmy Lou and others. Lead singer Rebekkah Nilsson is really good.
    Mandolin Orange.
    The Dead South, St. Paul and the Broken Bones, Lucinda, as mentioned above, and especially Ana Egge - soft spoken, big heart, beautiful message. Finally heard her at the last Merlefest.
    The Deer.
    I'm With Her.
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

You may have been the one who said something similar in another thread that got me to start this one.
    "That young man has an extra step on his ladder the rest of us just don't have."

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    Leonard Slatkin with the Detroit Symphony has released several recent recordings of Aaron Copland works. I love Slatkin's versions. Very articulate. They are Naxos, so very good sound quality, too. I especially like the Billy the Kid release.
    This is great! I consider myself an audiophile-wannabe and I'm always looking out for well recorded music, whatever the genre!
    "That young man has an extra step on his ladder the rest of us just don't have."

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    Joji, Mac Miller, Vampire Weekend. Harry Styles, Dominic Fike, Alexander 23, Beabadoobee, Chance the Rapper, Kanye West, Zach Villiere, The Weeknd, Dijon, Rex Orange County, Cuco, Lorde, Francis And the Lights, Billie Eilish, Charlie Puth, and Post Malone, to name a few.

These are some of the more recent artists who my 16-year-old son has introduced to me. Whenever we are playing tennis or working out together he brings a Bluetooth speaker and I hear this music. I have grown to enjoy listening to virtually all of these artists. I was skeptical at first, but I’ve been won over.

So yeah, don’t assume (I’m not saying you did) that just because someone likes classic rock and loves The Beatles and the Rolling Stones that therefore means that is the only music said person enjoys and listens to. One can listen to a LOT of music in nearly 5 decades.
    Yes, I too have been jamming to Billie Eilish and had to turn it down when I got to a stoplight, lest I be judged... (I am man enough to admit, Where Do We Go... is a catchy little pop album!) I have a 17 year old and a 15 year old so they keep me up to date and I introduce them to the classics!

Yes, I too have been jamming to Billie Eilish and had to turn it down when I got to a stoplight, lest I be judged... (I am man enough to admit, Where Do We Go... is a catchy little pop album!) I have a 17 year old and a 15 year old so they keep me up to date and I introduce them to the classics!
    “Lest I be judged” haha😂.

Yeah, I have the aforementioned 16-year-old son and a 19-year-old daughter living at home; we have learned from each other. In addition to current music, they also love The Beatles, The Stones, Led Zeppelin, etc., and I feel really good about that. It’s fun, don’t you think?

In case any of these have been missed upthread:

Kurt Vile
    War on Drugs
    Alabama Shakes
    Steeldrivers
    Radiohead (still)
    Drug Dealer
    Big Thief
    Cigarettes After Sex
    Carolina Chocolate Drops
    Car Seat Headrest
    Jim James
    Jake Xerxes Fussell
    Courtney Barnett
    Houndmouth
    Tribe Called Quest (still)
    The National
    Bully
    Trampled By Turtles
    Lana Del Rey
    Ty Segal
    toyGuitar
    Happy Traum (new to me, his version Tennessee Waltz is pretty darn good. Sounds like it belongs on that civil war documentary by ken burns)

Quote Originally Posted by mpj96 View Post
    In case any of these have been missed upthread:

Kurt Vile
    War on Drugs
    Alabama Shakes
    Steeldrivers
    Radiohead (still)
    Drug Dealer
    Big Thief
    Cigarettes After Sex
    Carolina Chocolate Drops
    Car Seat Headrest
    Jim James
    Jake Xerxes Fussell
    Courtney Barnett
    Houndmouth
    Tribe Called Quest (still)
    The National
    Bully
    Trampled By Turtles
    Lana Del Rey
    Ty Segal
    toyGuitar
    Happy Traum (new to me, his version Tennessee Waltz is pretty darn good. Sounds like it belongs on that civil war documentary by ken burns)
    The average DBR poster is reading these lists (including the one I provided ) and is like, “Who the F are these bands??!!”

“Lest I be judged” haha😂.

Yeah, I have the aforementioned 16-year-old son and a 19-year-old daughter living at home; we have learned from each other. In addition to current music, they also love The Beatles, The Stones, Led Zeppelin, etc., and I feel really good about that. It’s fun, don’t you think?
    My 17 year old daughter is a huge Beatles fan along with some Queen and KISS thrown in the mix. It's great, we can talk about/listen to music for hours. It's better than trying to discuss TikTok or the latest Youtube personality...

Quote Originally Posted by left_hook_lacey View Post
    Awesome man. I saw them just before they hit mainstream. A street concert in downtown Raleigh for $10. One of the best concert experiences ever. I told my wife, girlfriend at the time, they're going to be around a while.

Have seen them 4 or 5 times since. Always a good show, excellent musicians.

What's your favorite songs?
    Quote Originally Posted by left_hook_lacey View Post
    We've probably crossed paths, seem them almost as much, and at PNC too.
    Would have loved to have caught that $10 ZBB concert. First time I heard "Chicken Fried" I was like "what actual hell is this?"...30 seconds later I was hooked.

You may have been the one who said something similar in another thread that got me to start this one.
    Yeah, that was me. The whole stuck in a moment in time/only listen to classic rock thing is a pet peeve of mine. Last year on my golf trip after our round, a friend who I had played with that day had his music on at the pool/bar. At one point I just lost it and asked if he could something/anything from the last decade on. When he asked what I wanted him to play my response was "pretty much anything that's not on your iPod" (yes, he's still using an old iPod). He was confused.

Truth is that most of my life I've just listened to the radio. One of my stations is always the current top 40/pop/whatever station and has been since the 80's. I do listen to classic rock, it's a great change of pace for me.

“Lest I be judged” haha��.

I have 18 and 16 year old daughters. I like listening to what they like. It's something that I share with them. I'd love to say that they have learned from me but that's not the case. They still know and like the more popular classic rock. The other day an old Bon Jovi song came on and my 16 year old was singing along, knew every word. Later in the day she was talking about how a boy screwed up by challenging her to a rap battle and she quoted the first 6 minutes of a song and crushed the poor lad. Last year I went to a Post Malone show with my oldest. It was fun. Twenty One Savages opened and they were a bit rough live but Post killed it. Most of my friends would have been ready to shoot themselves half way through :-(

Because I tend to listen to the radio (or Pandora) half the time I don't even know who I'm listening to. My kids will make fun of me because I'll know a song and ask "who sings this" and they laugh and tell me it's Post or Billie, etc.
    Last edited by elvis14; 05-14-2020 at 11:05 AM. Reason: can't spelll

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    Since Maestro Slatkin was the Music Director of the St. Louis Symphony Orchestra for many years, I have a number of recordings of his. One of the very best of these is of Carmina Burana.

Fascinating thread. I'm an old Curmudgeon and have little knowledge who most of y'all are posting about () but have approached music from a different perspective in the 80s/90s after all our children were born and again recently since we started ballroom dancing as one of our empty nest activities. Imagine yourself laying in bed at night as about a 10 year old listening to AM radio tunes on a cheap transistor radio from the popular stations in a nearby, large metropolitan area (or two if the reception was perfect). Yep, Doo Wop, the British Invasion and then the US response. Fast forward a few years to teen rebellion and "underground" FM radio from the same large city area/s and discovering album/art/classic/psychedelic rock and dial that forward another decade when it all became rather tiring until MTV/VH1 (wait, they actually played music videos that long ago ) revived my interests in metal/grunge/alternative rock (well, one outta three ain't bad ). Then came the classical years when a local CD store had a membership club and I bought hundreds (and hundreds more) of old rock and classical music recordings. Of course, I had to start listening to some of our children's choices and was attracted to many of their favorites but appalled by the language and other topics of some of their choices. The children have their own lives now and I find myself listening to lots of "singles" of what we've danced to in the last decade or more. I've rekindled the old interests in Motown sounds and beach music, rock and roll of many types and found new delights in Latin music for Cha-Cha, Rumba, Salsa, Samba and Tango, in addition to a lot of "pop" music and techno for those dances, too. Big bands and the "swing revival" from the 90s (?) also provide many wonderful choices for East Coast Swing, Foxtrot, Waltz and Quickstep, with some old blues and new hip-hop/funk allowing the opportunity for West Coast Swing dances.

Thanks for reading. I've got some spare time this afternoon and I'm going to dial up a 23+ minute live version of Ashes are Burning by Renaissance, one of my all time favorite bands .
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Would have loved to have caught that $10 ZBB concert. First time I heard "Chicken Fried" I was like "what actual hell is this?"...30 seconds later I was hooked.
    I haven't had a pair of jeans that fit just right since I saw ZBB open for DMB on back-to-back nights at Citi Field in July 2010. Makes me wanna say Ain't It Funny How Time Slips Away (which I also saw them perform live that summer).

Come to think of it, I have seen (at minimum) Brandi Carlisle, Gary Clark Jr., and the Lumineers open for DMB.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."