Arctic Monkeys
    Son Volt (how great was Uncle Tupelo?!)
    Silversun Pickups
    The Roots
    Weezer
    Phoenix
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

Quote Originally Posted by left_hook_lacey View Post
    Awesome thread. Right there with toi on the dead south and old crow.

Been an old crow fan going on 13 years now. I have seen them on new years eve the last 3 years. Seen them in the ryman auditorium. Best show of my life.

I'd also add zac brown band to that list. If you ever get a chance to see them live, do it and sit close.
    I've very recently been introduced to Zac Brown Band (I know, I'm usually late to every party) and quickly becoming a fan.
    "That young man has an extra step on his ladder the rest of us just don't have."

Quote Originally Posted by Kdogg View Post
    Black Puma (old soul Rhythm and Blues)
    a-ha (Acoustic album from a 2017)
    Broken Bells (Rock)
    SuperHeavy (so many)
    If you like Black Puma, you should check out Leon Bridges! IMO similar vibe/feel. Oh man, the song "River"... oh man...
    Last edited by Nrrrrvous; 05-12-2020 at 10:51 PM.
    "That young man has an extra step on his ladder the rest of us just don't have."

Quote Originally Posted by Devilwin View Post
    I like Imagine Dragons. Radioactive..
    My teenage kids laugh at me but I'm with you.

Bridging threads -- Jason Isbell and wife Amanda Shires covering Warren Zevon:

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Rosenrosen View Post
    Vampire Weekend
    Death Cab For Cutie
    Arctic Monkeys
    Son Volt (how great was Uncle Tupelo?!)
    Silversun Pickups
    The Roots
    Weezer
    Phoenix
    Uncle Tupelo might be the greatest band no one ever saw. They broke up long before they became legendary. If Jeff and Jay could check their egos long enough for a reunion tour, Uncle Tupelo might actually make some money. Same for Whiskeytown.

Or if you want Isbell more rock-n-roll and original:

Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    Uncle Tupelo might be the greatest band no one ever saw. They broke up long before they became legendary. If Jeff and Jay could check their egos long enough for a reunion tour, Uncle Tupelo might actually make some money. Same for Whiskeytown.
    Son Volt + Wilco = sign me up!

Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    Jeff told us the best band you’ve never heard:

(absolutely agree with your post re: Uncle Tupelo)

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Rosenrosen View Post
    Son Volt + Wilco = sign me up!
    Son Volt’s members now live in different cities, and a couple of years ago they met at my brother’s recording studio to rehearse before going on tour. My brother didn’t charge them, and at the end of the day Jay Farrar, who was generally a quiet guy, went to his van and came back with a circa 1950 lap steel guitar that he presented to my brother as a gift! Not only a good band, but good guys.

Brandi Carlile is my favorite thing going in current music...great voice, excellent songwriting, fantastic live performances. My wife and I have her at the top of our "do not miss" list when she comes through, and we've traveled on quite a few occasions to see her...hope to do so again ASAP.

Wilco is my other fave. Their albums are deep, recurrent listens, and their live performances are amazing to me.

I'm another voice in the Jason Isbell chorus...great shows and a lot of good tunes in the Americana vein that characterizes most of my favorite music.

Lastly, I really love the Old 97s...they're also Americana-ish, but with a crunchier punk edge. They are very active tourers and have been making music for like 25 years now. Lead Singer Rhett Miller has a lot of good solo material and performances as well.

"The King is Dea" by Decemberists is one of my favorite releases from the past 10 years.

The Dead South's Gunslinger's Glory came on my pandora today for the first time while I was doing some housework. Started damn toe tapping. Been going into other songs and really enjoying their stuff today. Gunslinger's would be a solid running song, too, for those inclined to such shenanigans. They're a Canadian folk-bluegrass ensemble but they have some gentle southern rock to them, too IMO...

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    The Dead South's Gunslinger's Glory came on my pandora today for the first time while I was doing some housework. Started damn toe tapping. Been going into other songs and really enjoying their stuff today. Gunslinger's would be a solid running song, too, for those inclined to such shenanigans. They're a Canadian folk-bluegrass ensemble but they have some gentle southern rock to them, too IMO...
    The entire Good Company album is on regular rotation in my truck. This song in particular keeps me whistling and snapping my fingers...

Last edited by Nrrrrvous; 05-13-2020 at 02:13 PM. Reason: changed link to video

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    "The King is Dea" by Decemberists is one of my favorite releases from the past 10 years.
    Should be "The King is Dead," sorry for the typo.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Should be "The King is Dead," sorry for the typo.
    Not to worry. We had already figured it ou

As for me, the playlist starts with Shostakovich and Stravinsky.

Quote Originally Posted by rasputin View Post
    Any recordings from the past ten years you are particularly fond of?

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    Lastly, I really love the Old 97s...they're also Americana-ish, but with a crunchier punk edge. They are very active tourers and have been making music for like 25 years now. Lead Singer Rhett Miller has a lot of good solo material and performances as well.
    Love the Old 97’s. Nice cameo in The Breakup.

Another great alternative country band I forgot to include in my list is The Jayhawks.

Quote Originally Posted by rasputin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Nrrrrvous View Post
    Any recordings from the past ten years you are particularly fond of?
    Max Richter, Jennifer Higdon, and Caroline Shaw have each put out some interesting things in the last 10-20 years.