Page 12 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    I am also a huge fan of Camper Van Beethoven. I like Cracker, too, but not quite as much.
    beauty is in the Eye of ...

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    “You better pack up your family,
    You better get out while you can.”

True story — A distant relative, near Portland, single mother with 3 young children including newborn, was trying to stick it out. Woke up last Weds eve with soot all over her. Her 2-yr old came running in, pointing to black stuff coming out of his nose. A friend finally persuaded her Thurs to abandon her house and move in with friend in “green zone,” closer in toward Portland.

Quote Originally Posted by gumbomoop View Post
    “You better pack up your family,
    You better get out while you can.”

True story — A distant relative, near Portland, single mother with 3 young children including newborn, was trying to stick it out. Woke up last Weds eve with soot all over her. Her 2-yr old came running in, pointing to black stuff coming out of his nose. A friend finally persuaded her Thurs to abandon her house and move in with friend in “green zone,” closer in toward Portland.
    Scary.

One of my sisters and her family are in the South Bay area of California, and a niece in L.A. — frightening stuff.

Dave Alvin

That's a fine recording.

Oh man, great tune! King of California is one of my all-time fave albums! Haven't listened to Dave in a while. I think it's time!
    "That young man has an extra step on his ladder the rest of us just don't have."

Just finished streaming David Bromberg’s 75th birthday concert. This may only mean anything to me, because I understand that most folks have never heard of him, but — damn that gave me joy!!!

What other song sounds a lot like this one:

[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Stand by me.

Quote Originally Posted by mpj96 View Post
    Stand by me.
    Ben E. King, or The Clash?

I just started listening to "A Long and Violent History" by Tyler Childers. Wow. I didn't expect his socially conscious lyrics set to traditional Appalachian music. More, and maybe better, comments after I give it a few listens.

Yep

Quote Originally Posted by MartyClark View Post
    I just started listening to "A Long and Violent History" by Tyler Childers. Wow. I didn't expect his socially conscious lyrics set to traditional Appalachian music. More, and maybe better, comments after I give it a few listens.
    Yes, I just listened to that song yesterday. Haven't tried the instrumental songs yet.

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    Yes, I just listened to that song yesterday. Haven't tried the instrumental songs yet.
    Cool song. I really like Tyler Childers and traditional music but I’ve never really enjoyed strictly instrumental music as anything more than background music. Otherwise I’ll get bored and play something with lyrics. I played the whole album while I worked yesterday. Generally pleasing mountain music with a cool song at the end.

If you like Americana and/or bluegrass at all give a listen to the band I'm With Her. Really good stuff.

If you like Americana and/or bluegrass at all give a listen to the band I'm With Her. Really good stuff.
    They are good. I have heard 2 of the 3, separately, in concert. I'd love to see all 3 together live if this darn pandemic ever ends.

I'm With Her is comprised of three stars of Americana music: Sara Watkins, fiddler and vocalist of Nickel Creek fame. Sarah Jarosz, mandolin virtuoso, vocalist and songwriter extraordinaire. And Aoife O'Donovan, vocalist and member of groundbreaking Americana group Crooked Still.

Finally saw them at the Duke Energy Center for the Performing Arts a little over a year ago. Wow, agree with rsvman. Great evening.

I've seen them all perform individually, so I was prepared for what they all bring to the table. I was still blown away.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTDUDRIEifQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s24fLEYaeEk

I didn't know for a long while, but it's pronounced "ee-fa".
    Last edited by killerleft; 10-03-2020 at 11:59 PM.
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

Josh Morningstar

Heard Josh interviewed by REK on the latest Americana Podcast and listened to his album “The Plea”. His songwriting is really good I especially like this song.

https://youtu.be/tNYsfKKbVq0

Anybody catch Jack White on SNL? A couple great performances (IMHO). Used a Van Halen designed guitar for the second song - Lazaretto. Saying on Twitter - " i wont even insult the man’s talent by trying to play one of his songs tonight. thanks again eddie for this guitar and rest in peace sir."

He wasn't supposed to be the musical guest but apparently the scheduled guest, Morgan Wallen, was caught partying mask-less earlier in the week.

For your viewing pleasure...

edit: Sorry, guess this probably shouldn't be in the "Not Classic Rock" thread, oh well.
    "That young man has an extra step on his ladder the rest of us just don't have."

Loved JW in the documentary It Might Get Loud. I'm going to trick the other guys into telling me all their secrets so I can steal them (or something to that effect).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZ7DZ7HPXck

Quote Originally Posted by jimmymax View Post
    Loved JW in the documentary It Might Get Loud. I'm going to trick the other guys into telling me all their secrets so I can steal them (or something to that effect).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZ7DZ7HPXck
    I loved It Might Get Loud. If you haven't seen it, you should check out Under Great White Northern Lights. Worth it!