Page 14 of 24 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    So true about the current situation having created the perfect environment to foster great music. It makes perfect sense. And I agree with you about the recent music that has come out. There is good-to-great new music being released pretty much every week or two.

My teenage son has been keeping me informed. If not for him I probably would have been missing all of this and just continued listening only to music from the distant past.
    Isbell seems to have the spirit of the times.

And we don't take requests
    We won't shut up and sing
    Tell the truth enough
    You'll find it rhymes with everything

We've been testing you
    And you failed
    To see how long that you could hold it in before you screamed, but you only exhaled
    I don't think you even recognize the sound of your voice
    When it's blasting through the speakers in the sky
    And if your words add up to nothing, then you're making a choice
    To sing a cover when we need a battle cry

Quote Originally Posted by Duke79UNLV77 View Post

Tell the truth enough

We've been testing you
    And you failed
    To see how long that you could hold it in before you screamed, but you only exhaled
    I like it!

Quote Originally Posted by Duke79UNLV77 View Post

Tell the truth enough

We've been testing you
    And you failed
    Isbell is one of the best writers going, and he has been since his days in DBT.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Isbell is one of the best writers going, and he has been since his days in DBT.
    ...and this is to say nothing of his excellent guitar skills, his stolid support of other artists (many of them lesser known and who really benefit from his support), and the fact that he's an all-around good guy. I also really like how many of his songs touch on real-world issues of mental health, substance abuse, addiction, etc...for me it makes his music very relevant and relatable.
    I was front and center for an Isbell performance last September. It was late in the day at a festival and had been quite hot all day. Midway through the Isbell set, someone collapsed right near me. He fully stopped the show, had help come and attend to them, and then just started the song over. Total pro and just solid human decency. Made me even more a fan of his than I had already been.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    ...and this is to say nothing of his excellent guitar skills, his stolid support of other artists (many of them lesser known and who really benefit from his support), and the fact that he's an all-around good guy. I also really like how many of his songs touch on real-world issues of mental health, substance abuse, addiction, etc...for me it makes his music very relevant and relatable.
    I was front and center for an Isbell performance last September. It was late in the day at a festival and had been quite hot all day. Midway through the Isbell set, someone collapsed right near me. He fully stopped the show, had help come and attend to them, and then just started the song over. Total pro and just solid human decency. Made me even more a fan of his than I had already been.
    Thanks for sharing that. 👍🏻

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    When I get a bit more time I will tell you the story of what happened the night of the Hole concert in Austin in 1994. And let me tell you, it was even more than what you surmised, including hanging out with Courtney Love in the Liberty Lunch (the concert venue) parking lot after the show. It was so surreal I still have a hard time believing it happened. But it did.
    That is a story worth telling. What an experience. Would love to hear about it.

Chris Stapleton's new album came out in its entirety today, and it's quite good. His usual gravelly twang, with outstanding songwriting and some wonderful vocal harmonies with his wife.

And a good follow on Twitter.

RIP Hal Ketchum

Just learned today that Hal Ketchum passed last month. Thought I would post here instead of starting new thread. For those unfamiliar with his work, Hal was a talented songwriter and performer known primarily for his work in the 90s. He came to Nashville from Greenwich, NY via Austin, TX. Hal wrote simple, understated songs, for Nashville, the twang provide by Richard Bennett’s Telecaster more than Hal’s voice. I found him on ACL episode 2 of S19 in 1994. It was a fabulous double bill with Kellis Willis (the reason I tuned in). I so enjoyed Hal’s set that I bought all 3 of his CDs and became an instant fan. His set is linked below - enjoy.

https://youtu.be/9jVKdTvUiyE

Yep, I thought so; a music thread,
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

I like St. Vincent's new album, as well as her prior albums. She reminds me of Bowie with her creativity and versatility. This album has a retro feel totally different from her prior album, much like Bowie transitioned to his Philly soul sound. Isbell and she, in that order, are probably my favorite 2 younger than I am.

I just stumbled upon this song by Sara Bareilles with the Milk Carton Kids and Chris Thile backing her. It's not new, but it may be my favorite new listen.

Someone Who Loves Me

Wilco’s new release is fantastic.

Drake’s latest drop is not.

Fact: They were originally the Goo Dolls but thought better of it and added the second Goo.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Wilco’s new release is fantastic.

Drake’s latest drop is not.
    Yes it is. Looking forward to seeing them at Santa Fe Opera in September.

If you’re in Austin, there are a handful of tickets left for tonight’s Kathleen Edwards/John Paul White show at Stateside.

Quote Originally Posted by burnspbesq View Post
    Yes it is. Looking forward to seeing them at Santa Fe Opera in September.

If you’re in Austin, there are a handful of tickets left for tonight’s Kathleen Edwards/John Paul White show at Stateside.
    Wilco still plays a phenomenal live show.

Wilco still plays a phenomenal live show.
    The best songs will never get sung
    The best life never leaves your lungs
    So good, you won't ever know
    You can't hear it on the radio
    You can't hear it on the radio

Florence Dore

I recently learned about Florence Dore, a talented singer-songwriter from North Carolina. She's only done two albums, one this year, Highways & Rocketships, and another in 2001, Perfect City. If I had to classify her, I'd say Americana, with a strong dose of rock. She's drawn comparisons to early Lucinda Williams, although I'd say she has far less of a country sound than Lucinda. I hear some similarities to two obscure singer-songwriters, Cheri Knight and Mary Battiata (who tells me I'm not the first to hear such similarities). Her husband, Will Rigby, is a well-known drummer, being a member of the dBs, and often backs Steve Earle. Her band, as you might imagine, can really rock. Here's the review that got me started on Florence's music: https://www.lonesomehighway.com/musi...-album-reviews

Here's the bad news. She's a professor at UNC. She teaches comparative literature, so I doubt her department was part of the scandal. Despite being at UNC, she's got quite a page at UNC. I'd definitely take one of her classes: https://englishcomplit.unc.edu/facul...florence-dore/

I saw Death Cab for Cutie in Asheville and they were very good. And the opening act for them was so entertaining. They were named "Thao"

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    I recently learned about Florence Dore, a talented singer-songwriter from North Carolina. She's only done two albums, one this year, Highways & Rocketships, and another in 2001, Perfect City. If I had to classify her, I'd say Americana, with a strong dose of rock. She's drawn comparisons to early Lucinda Williams, although I'd say she has far less of a country sound than Lucinda. I hear some similarities to two obscure singer-songwriters, Cheri Knight and Mary Battiata (who tells me I'm not the first to hear such similarities). Her husband, Will Rigby, is a well-known drummer, being a member of the dBs, and often backs Steve Earle. Her band, as you might imagine, can really rock. Here's the review that got me started on Florence's music: https://www.lonesomehighway.com/musi...-album-reviews

Here's the bad news. She's a professor at UNC. She teaches comparative literature, so I doubt her department was part of the scandal. Despite being at UNC, she's got quite a page at UNC. I'd definitely take one of her classes: https://englishcomplit.unc.edu/facul...florence-dore/
    Gave her a listen, sounds good! I'll have to check out some more videos.