Page 9 of 24 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
    I'll admit it: I like Taylor Swift more with each album. Her last 3 ('1989,' 'Reputation,' and 'Lover'), in my opinion, are genuinely excellent pop music.
    And the new surprise one which dropped at midnight last night is an impressive stylistic departure...vibe-y with heavy indie sound, in some ways swinging back around to her country roots without the bubblegum-y tinge of her early music (which I am not as big on). This new one, 'folklore,' is actually more in line with what I ordinarily listen to.
    At this point, I unabashedly "stan" TSwift, as the yoots say.

Quote Originally Posted by plimnko View Post
    I’m a big Hayes Carl fan. I haven’t had time to watch any of his Alone Together YouTube shows but plan to. Todd Snider is a fair comparison but I Think Hayes’ buddy, Corb Lund aka the Hurtin’ Albertan, is a little better comp. like John Prine, those guys mix some biting humor in with poignant lyrics. Below are a few are my favorite Hayes Carl and Corb Lund videos. As much as I love Hayes Carl’s original “Drunken Poets Dream”, have to admit I like Ray Wylie Hubbard’s cover version even better.

https://youtu.be/-yZMnEBGMR0
    https://youtu.be/hXELRDzx58I
    https://youtu.be/GdzXyEoJKpU
    https://youtu.be/hhkHG-oKCEU

https://youtu.be/p4dbgu67jvc
    https://youtu.be/Hg-T7M5WGSg
    https://youtu.be/sPZBxI6GdVk

Similar to a few others here:

Drive by Truckers
    Jason Isbell
    Lucinda Williams
    Teenage Fanclub
    Dillon Fence (a band out of UNC late 80s/early 90s; please forgive the UNC reference)

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    I'll admit it: I like Taylor Swift more with each album. Her last 3 ('1989,' 'Reputation,' and 'Lover'), in my opinion, are genuinely excellent pop music.
    And the new surprise one which dropped at midnight last night is an impressive stylistic departure...vibe-y with heavy indie sound, in some ways swinging back around to her country roots without the bubblegum-y tinge of her early music (which I am not as big on). This new one, 'folklore,' is actually more in line with what I ordinarily listen to.
    I haven’t followed Taylor Swift very closely and I’ve never bought any of her music but it would be impossible to not hear it. I’ve always thought she writes/performs good pop songs with catchy hooks. She did a tiny desk show by herself (if I remember correctly) and sounded really good which indicates that her songs aren’t overly enhanced in the studio. I’ll be interested to see how she evolves in her 30s,40s and beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by plimnko View Post
    I watched the show last night while picking some blue crabs I caught this weekend. Really fun play list and good stories. That’s a really good format for getting to know an artist.

I did not know that Hayes is now married to Allison Moorer. Her Autistic son, John Henry, who made and appearance for a song, is Steve Earle’s kid. Allison was Steve’s 6th wife and his 7th marriage. I read an interview where Steve said that Allison left him for a younger, skinnier, less talented singer songwriter. I had no idea it was Hayes Carll. With Steve it’s hard to say if he was joking. He doesn’t pull any punches and those Texas songwriters do have a competitive streak.

Yep

Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    I watched the show last night while picking some blue crabs I caught this weekend. Really fun play list and good stories. That’s a really good format for getting to know an artist.

I did not know that Hayes is now married to Allison Moorer. Her Autistic son, John Henry, who made and appearance for a song, is Steve Earle’s kid. Allison was Steve’s 6th wife and his 7th marriage. I read an interview where Steve said that Allison left him for a younger, skinnier, less talented singer songwriter. I had no idea it was Hayes Carll. With Steve it’s hard to say if he was joking. He doesn’t pull any punches and those Texas songwriters do have a competitive streak.
    I read the same interview. Not a good moment for Steve Earle, but he does have a way with words. Also recently saw Earle doing a live stream from his house in Nashville. He said his manager calls the house the Alamo, because after 7 marriages it's still standing.

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    I read the same interview. Not a good moment for Steve Earle, but he does have a way with words. Also recently saw Earle doing a live stream from his house in Nashville. He said his manager calls the house the Alamo, because after 7 marriages it's still standing.
    I'm a big fan of Steve Earle (at least his music) and his son, Justin Townes Earle. I've seen them both play, on different dates, at etown in Boulder, a 200 seat venue that gives rise to the etown radio show.

The etown host is a guy named Nick Forster, he play in the Hot Rize band. He is a good interviewer and well connected in the bluegrass/Americana/altcountry scene.

Justin Townes Earle had some brutal comments about his father. I won't repeat them but it was really sad to see this young man so apparently devastated by his father's absence (hence the album Absent Fathers) during his formative years.

Quote Originally Posted by MartyClark View Post
    I'm a big fan of Steve Earle (at least his music) and his son, Justin Townes Earle. I've seen them both play, on different dates, at etown in Boulder, a 200 seat venue that gives rise to the etown radio show.

The etown host is a guy named Nick Forster, he play in the Hot Rize band. He is a good interviewer and well connected in the bluegrass/Americana/altcountry scene.

Justin Townes Earle had some brutal comments about his father. I won't repeat them but it was really sad to see this young man so apparently devastated by his father's absence (hence the album Absent Fathers) during his formative years.
    I a big fan of Steve, Justin and Nick Forster/etown. I think it’s safe to say Justin has forgiven Steve for not being around during his formative years. Justin moved in with Dad in 1994 after Steve got Clean. He worked as a rodie and even played some in Steve’s band. They’ve recorded songs together and I even heard them interviewed together. Unlike his Dad, Justin hasn’t been able to stay clean after many stints in rehab though.

Hotrize and their Alter ego band - Red Knuckles and the Trailblazers are great. Those are Super talented players including Nick Forster. I love etown because it gives audiences a chance to hear great singer/songwriters play their songs with a top notch band. I linked a clip of Ray Wylie Hubbard on etown playing a Hayes Carll song earlier in the thread. Here’s from one of my favorite episodes that introduced me to Ariana Gillis.

https://youtu.be/aW7kYCFFeHY

Steve Earle and Lucinda Williams

I saw this nice video of Steve Earle and Lucinda Williams last week, playing some of their recent songs:

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/vi...rt-and-empathy

I saw Steve Earle play a similar sized show at Songbirds Guitar Museum (the most valuable collection of guitars in the world) in Chattanooga. The entire proceeds went to a charity that buys guitars and guitar lessons for underprivileged kids. Earle played his "Copperhead Road" album in its entirety in celebration of its 30th anniversary. He noted that the 1st side was all Vietnam songs and the 2nd side was all loves songs, except for the one Christmas song, which he had originally written for the Oak Ridge Boys. In reflecting on the love songs, Earle commented that it was no wonder he went through so many marriages that decade. The years appeared to have been rougher on Earle than on his music.

Over/under on when most people will feel comfortable going to normal concerts again??

Quote Originally Posted by Duke79UNLV77 View Post
    I saw Steve Earle play a similar sized show at Songbirds Guitar Museum (the most valuable collection of guitars in the world) in Chattanooga. The entire proceeds went to a charity that buys guitars and guitar lessons for underprivileged kids. Earle played his "Copperhead Road" album in its entirety in celebration of its 30th anniversary. He noted that the 1st side was all Vietnam songs and the 2nd side was all loves songs, except for the one Christmas song, which he had originally written for the Oak Ridge Boys. In reflecting on the love songs, Earle commented that it was no wonder he went through so many marriages that decade. The years appeared to have been rougher on Earle than on his music.

Over/under on when most people will feel comfortable going to normal concerts again??
    I’ll probably go as soon as they start having them again.

Lou-Ann Gill was Steve’s 4th and 6th wife. He divorced her the first time to run off with record executive, Teresa Ensenat, a relationship that fueled his long time heroin habit which landed him in jail for 6-mos during which time Teresa ended the marriage. He remarried Lou-Ann in recovery. Below link is from live show at the Bluebird with Townes and Guy Clark that happened during his second Marriage to Lou-Anne. In explaining that his song “Valentines Day” was written for Lou-Ann he quips, “our divorce did not work out.”

https://youtu.be/c08CpDjZCPI
    https://youtu.be/SNgJhI1lufU

But his philosophy on relationships is probably best described in this song written early on during marriage #2

https://youtu.be/Dijf3EhoTaA

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    I think you can “blame” that on the brothers Dessner (primarily known for the National, although Bryce has written some remarkable classical compositions). I’m a long-time Tay-Tay skeptic, and I heard some things I like on the new record.

Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    But his philosophy on relationships is probably best described in this song written early on during marriage #2

https://youtu.be/Dijf3EhoTaA
    Fooled me; I was expecting “I Ain’t Ever Satisfied.”

James McMurtry weekly live broadcasting starting now on Facebook and maybe other platforms. 1/2 hour opener this time (his son(?)); James on starting around 9:30 Durham time. I find it by following him on FB.

Watched this a few times. If you like him, or are curious — it’s free although he will gladly take a tip. Musicians are out of work right now, and streaming has killed album sales. But check it out and enjoy if I. The mood.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    James McMurtry weekly live broadcasting starting now on Facebook and maybe other platforms. 1/2 hour opener this time (his son(?)); James on starting around 9:30 Durham time. I find it by following him on FB.

Watched this a few times. If you like him, or are curious — it’s free although he will gladly take a tip. Musicians are out of work right now, and streaming has killed album sales. But check it out and enjoy if I. The mood.
    Thanks, I'll check it out. I've heard him live in Boulder, CO. "The most disinterested man in the world".

Thanks, I'll check it out. I've heard him live in Boulder, CO. "The most disinterested man in the world".
    Last night's was smoking. They're all acoustic. Great versions of Rachel's Song, Choctaw Bingo, No More Buffalo . . . .

They're on Wednesday nights at 9 est. Last night his son "opened" for half an hour, then James played for about 90 minutes.

Me and Bill there we both come from Georgia
    Met Hank out in New Mexico
    We're bound for Duranqo to join Pancho Villa
    We hear that he's payin' in gold

I guess a man's got to do what he's best at
    Ain't found nothin' better so far
    Been called mercenaries and men with no country
    Just soldiers in search of a war

And we're bound for the border
    We're soldiers of fortune
    And we'll fight for no country but we'll die for good pay
    Under the flag of of the greenback dollar
    Or the peso down Mexico way

When this war is over might go back to Georgia
    And settle down quiet some where
    I'll most likely pack up and head south for Chile
    Heard tell there's some trouble down there

And we're bound for the border
    We're soldiers of fortune
    And we'll fight for no country but we'll die for good pay
    Under the flag of of the greenback dollar
    Or the peso down Mexico way
    — (my favorite song by) Steve Earle, Mercenary Song

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    — (my favorite song by) Steve Earle, Mercenary Song
    First link below is Steve talking about writing the song during his 2005 show at the Bluebird with TVZ and Guy Clark. The last one is 19YO Steve playing the song shortly after it was written On Christmas Eve 1976 at Guy and Susanna Clark’s house in Nashville. Besides Steve, Guy and Susanna, Richard Dobson and Rodney Crowell are also in attendance. The clip is from the music documentary “Heartworn Highways” which I highly recommend. You’ll have to watch the outtakes from the DVD to see that particular clip tho. The Mercenary Song was not recorded until 20 years later on Steve’s Train a Comin’ CD which was Steve’s first record after getting clean and getting out of jail. The record is mostly acoustic recording of old unrecorded SE songs, a couple of covers and the only new song - “Goodbye” about the last time Steve saw wife number 6, Teresa Ensenat, who flew to Nashville from LA for an “intervention” shortly before Steve’s arrest. Steve walked out of the intervention and went to get high. He couldn’t remember if he told her “Goodbye”.

https://youtu.be/EFeXrYY7TWk
    https://youtu.be/EulFyutjFA0

Psychedelic Furs with their first new album in 29 years. Haven't heard the whole thing yet, but what I have heard ls pretty impressive. What an iconic voice.... instantly recognizable.

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    Psychedelic Furs with their first new album in 29 years. Haven't heard the whole thing yet, but what I have heard ls pretty impressive. What an iconic voice... instantly recognizable.
    I saw them at Page Aud. in the mid-80’s. A buddy worked for the group that brought them to Duke and we had front row tickets. Fun.