Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

The "Not Classic Rock" listening thread

We have lots of threads these days discussing the Beatles/Stones, ranking old bands, etc. I'd really like to hear what current artists everyone is listening to. I'll randomly set the limit to active in the past ten years. I'll start with a few of my own favorites, in no particular order, but I'm always looking for new and different artists to check out...

The Raconteurs (just about anything with Jack White)
    The Black Keys
    Dirty Heads
    Imagine Dragons
    Cage the Elephant
    Bastille
    Kings of Leon
    Band of Skulls
    Gary Clark Jr.
    Nathaniel Rateliff and the Night Sweats
    The Dead South
    Ben Caplan
    Old Crow Medicine Show
    Colter Wall
    Tyler Childers
    The Devil Makes Three
    Leon Bridges
    "That young man has an extra step on his ladder the rest of us just don't have."

Good thread!

I'll second you on Tyler Childers. He's terrific. Here are my other suggestions for the last decade:

Jason Isbell (rock? Americana?)
    Mary Battiata and Little Pink (country/Americana)
    Ana Egge (folk)
    Lucinda Williams (rock) (yes, she's getting up there in years, but she's still making good music)
    Brennen Leigh (country)
    John Moreland (Americana, I guess)
    Joan Shelley (folk)
    Renee Wahl (Americana)
    Drive-By Truckers (rock)
    Richard Thompson (folk, rock) (over 70, but still bringing it. check out his acoustic classics CDs)
    Dori Freeman (country/folk)

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    I'll second you on Tyler Childers. He's terrific. Here are my other suggestions for the last decade:

Jason Isbell (rock? Americana?)
    Mary Battiata and Little Pink (country/Americana)
    Ana Egge (folk)
    Lucinda Williams (rock) (yes, she's getting up there in years, but she's still making good music)
    Brennen Leigh (country)
    John Moreland (Americana, I guess)
    Joan Shelley (folk)
    Renee Wahl (Americana)
    Drive-By Truckers (rock)
    Richard Thompson (folk, rock) (over 70, but still bringing it. check out his acoustic classics CDs)
    Dori Freeman (country/folk)
    Awesome, I've got some exploring to do in Tidal.
    I hadn't kept up with Lucinda Williams since Car Wheels on a Gravel Road.
    I've got a good friend who is a big fan of Drive-By Truckers and Jason Isbell, he's always recommending them. Might be time to really dive in.
    "That young man has an extra step on his ladder the rest of us just don't have."

Yep

Quote Originally Posted by Nrrrrvous View Post
    Awesome, I've got some exploring to do in Tidal.
    I hadn't kept up with Lucinda Williams since Car Wheels on a Gravel Road.
    I've got a good friend who is a big fan of Drive-By Truckers and Jason Isbell, he's always recommending them. Might be time to really dive in.
    Lucinda released a new recording just a couple of weeks ago. Very rock oriented. Isbell has a new recording coming out this week.

Quote Originally Posted by Nrrrrvous View Post
    Cannot second this strong enough.

Fascinating thread. I'm an old Curmudgeon and have little knowledge who most of y'all are posting about () but have approached music from a different perspective in the 80s/90s after all our children were born and again recently since we started ballroom dancing as one of our empty nest activities. Imagine yourself laying in bed at night as about a 10 year old listening to AM radio tunes on a cheap transistor radio from the popular stations in a nearby, large metropolitan area (or two if the reception was perfect). Yep, Doo Wop, the British Invasion and then the US response. Fast forward a few years to teen rebellion and "underground" FM radio from the same large city area/s and discovering album/art/classic/psychedelic rock and dial that forward another decade when it all became rather tiring until MTV/VH1 (wait, they actually played music videos that long ago ) revived my interests in metal/grunge/alternative rock (well, one outta three ain't bad ). Then came the classical years when a local CD store had a membership club and I bought hundreds (and hundreds more) of old rock and classical music recordings. Of course, I had to start listening to some of our children's choices and was attracted to many of their favorites but appalled by the language and other topics of some of their choices. The children have their own lives now and I find myself listening to lots of "singles" of what we've danced to in the last decade or more. I've rekindled the old interests in Motown sounds and beach music, rock and roll of many types and found new delights in Latin music for Cha-Cha, Rumba, Salsa, Samba and Tango, in addition to a lot of "pop" music and techno for those dances, too. Big bands and the "swing revival" from the 90s (?) also provide many wonderful choices for East Coast Swing, Foxtrot, Waltz and Quickstep, with some old blues and new hip-hop/funk allowing the opportunity for West Coast Swing dances.

Thanks for reading. I've got some spare time this afternoon and I'm going to dial up a 23+ minute live version of Ashes are Burning by Renaissance, one of my all time favorite bands .
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Solid (virtual) music festival going on!

Pretty cool all-day virtual music festival going on right now. A lot of really good bands/artists, definitely not classic rock. They are taking donations, and already have raised almost $100k just a couple hours in! I was tempted to make a top level thread, but wasn't sure it was warranted.

Big Something is an excellent North Carolina based band coming up sometime in the next hour or so, and there's a bunch of other great stuff in the lineup (a lot of funk, jazz, and bluegrass), John Cleary is on now.

I also highly recommend:
    Nth Power (really good funk band doing a Nirvana set should yield solid results)
    The New Mastersounds
    Dumpstaphunk
    Dopapod
    Lettuce
    John Medeski
    But really there are too many to list (Greensky Bluegrass and Infamous Stringdusters are also strong). Just thought this might be something fun that would interest some of the folks on this board, and for a good cause!

Donate (and see the full lineup/schedule) here:
    https://www.quarantinecomesalive.com/

Watch here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIiduv_SxEs

lineup.jpg

(I'm cross-posting this in the Movies/TV thread just so more people see it)

Great Stuff from Chuck Mead and his Grassy Knoll Boys - The Official Song of Quarantine. I Ain't Been Nowhere

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIQvaBOuvAs

Quote Originally Posted by richardjackson199 View Post
    Great Stuff from Chuck Mead - The Official Song of Quarantine. I Ain't Been Nowhere

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIQvaBOuvAs
    It’s only official because I have not cut a video of my Quarantine Blues. And, of course, because that sucked.

Let’s just say the category is still open and leave it at that!

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    It’s only official because I have not cut a video of my Quarantine Blues. And, of course, because that sucked.

Let’s just say the category is still open and leave it at that!
    Quarantine Blues was awesome. If the Grassy Knoll Boys weren't stuck at home they would back you for the video

Quarantine Blues was awesome. If the Grassy Knoll Boys weren't stuck at home they would back you for the video
    It is a limited circulation hit. Like, a few dozen people while waiting for the Easter ham to finish.

Sad, June seemed so far away back then . . . .

And for those who have never seen or heard Todd Snider, he does a live broadcast on Facebook every Sunday at noon EDT. Just follow him, if you don’t like you can delete.

Warning, language and subject matter may not be for young ears.

I love the dude though. A taste:

(for Kedsy and Neals384 amongst others)

And for those who have never seen or heard Todd Snider, he does a live broadcast on Facebook every Sunday at noon EDT. Just follow him, if you don’t like you can delete.

Todd Snider is great, I saw Hard Working Americans a few years back and had a blast.

Great stuff! One of my best friends and roommate at Duke is a statistician and econometrics/stats professor at University of Chicago and others. He loved this too

Great stuff! One of my best friends and roommate at Duke is a statistician and econometrics/stats professor at University of Chicago and others. He loved this too
    Azeem Shaikh? He's a star.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Pretty cool all-day virtual music festival going on right now. A lot of really good bands/artists, definitely not classic rock. They are taking donations, and already have raised almost $100k just a couple hours in! I was tempted to make a top level thread, but wasn't sure it was warranted.

Big Something is an excellent North Carolina based band coming up sometime in the next hour or so, and there's a bunch of other great stuff in the lineup (a lot of funk, jazz, and bluegrass), John Cleary is on now.

I also highly recommend:
    Nth Power (really good funk band doing a Nirvana set should yield solid results)
    The New Mastersounds
    Dumpstaphunk
    Dopapod
    Lettuce
    John Medeski
    But really there are too many to list (Greensky Bluegrass and Infamous Stringdusters are also strong). Just thought this might be something fun that would interest some of the folks on this board, and for a good cause!

Donate (and see the full lineup/schedule) here:
    https://www.quarantinecomesalive.com/

Watch here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIiduv_SxEs

lineup.jpg

(I'm cross-posting this in the Movies/TV thread just so more people see it)
    You sound like an Asheville hippie. I like it.

I'm starting my 28th playlist from all of the ballroom, swing and Latin dances we've missed since mid March. The August 2 selections, as usual, include swing, big band, jump blues, jive, blues, techno and some Latin with a night of East Coast Swing, Hustle, Jive, an occasional Foxtrot and Waltz, a Salsa or Cha-Cha, a rare Polka and the evening usually finishes with over an hour of West Coast Swing.

Yep, I thought so; a music thread,

I like St. Vincent's new album, as well as her prior albums. She reminds me of Bowie with her creativity and versatility. This album has a retro feel totally different from her prior album, much like Bowie transitioned to his Philly soul sound. Isbell and she, in that order, are probably my favorite 2 younger than I am.

I just stumbled upon this song by Sara Bareilles with the Milk Carton Kids and Chris Thile backing her. It's not new, but it may be my favorite new listen.

Someone Who Loves Me