Page 13 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
    Jack White crushed it on snl. Great song choices. Led me & my son down a YouTube wormhole of greatest guitarists ever. That's a fantastic way to burn an hour by the way.

As for new not classic rock: anyone else enjoying the Coriky album? Reminds me a bit of In on the Kill Taker. Great stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Nrrrrvous View Post
    I loved It Might Get Loud. If you haven't seen it, you should check out Under Great White Northern Lights. Worth it!
    Will definitely check it out the film. Thanks for the rec. Forgot to mention in It Might Get Loud the inclusion of Chapel Hill's Flat Duo Jets, Dex and Sara (RIP) Romweber, which is very cool!

Quote Originally Posted by mpj96 View Post
    Jack White crushed it on snl. Great song choices. Led me & my son down a YouTube wormhole of greatest guitarists ever. That's a fantastic way to burn an hour by the way.
    There’s a great UTube video of the three Yardbird lead guitarist’s together on stage playing LayLa. Clapton, Beck and Page. You could burn an hour on just them.

I don't know if this band has been discussed earlier in this thread, but Scary Pockets is fantastic if you like funk at all. Theymspend a lot of their time funkifying non-funk songs. Just got through listening to their version of Pumped Up Kicks. Just awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    I don't know if this band has been discussed earlier in this thread, but Scary Pockets is fantastic if you like funk at all. Theymspend a lot of their time funkifying non-funk songs. Just got through listening to their version of Pumped Up Kicks. Just awesome.
    Tasty

Not sure which thread this belongs on, because it’s old but certainly not classic rock:

B Movie Boxcar Blues Is one of the best tracks ever laid. Prove me wrong.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.rol...s-1076829/amp/

Great new artist (stage name is Beabadoobee) from London. Her debut album “Fake It Flowers” just came out on October 16; I like it a heckuva lot. Start with the song called “Trouble” — you will be instantly transported back to the early 90’s.

I found about her from my high school sophomore son about a year ago. Apparently, she is all the rage among he and his musician friends. She’s released four EPs since September of 2017 but this is her first full studio album. Highly recommended.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.rol...s-1076829/amp/

Great new artist (stage name is Beabadoobee) from London. Her debut album “Fake It Flowers” just came out on October 16; I like it a heckuva lot. Start with the song called “Trouble” — you will be instantly transported back to the early 90’s.

I found about her from my high school sophomore son about a year ago. Apparently, she is all the rage among he and his musician friends. She’s released four EPs since September of 2017 but this is her first full studio album. Highly recommended.
    Oops. The Beabadoobee song I had suggested listening to first is called "Together", not "Trouble". If by chance you do give it a try make sure you listen to it LOUD. It's that kind of song.

Anyway, I have another suggested "Not Classic Rock" band. It's a four-piece band from England called...The Beatles! Okay, not really. The band is called "The 1975", and they are really good. I'm not sure how to categorize them, though. Here's a quote from lead vocalist, producer, lyricist and rhythm guitarist Matthew Healy, "When I say we're a pop band, what I'm really saying is we're not a rock band. Please stop calling us a rock band -- because I think that's the only music we don't make." That sound pretty far removed from classic rock, right?

As an iTunes review of their third album "A Brief Inquiry Into Online Relationships" states, "Thanks to their eclecticism and adventure, attempting to label The 1975 has been as easy as serving tea in a sieve. The Cheshire lads are, once again, many things, including jazz crooners, 2-step experimentalists, and yearning balladeers. What's most impressive in their ability to wrangle all these ideas into coherent music, as their outsize ambition never makes the songs feel cluttered. And Healy's lyrics add extra substance to the kaleidoscope of styles."

The 1975 makes really creative and interesting music. I suggest you give them a legitimate chance. I don't think you will be sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    Oops. The Beabadoobee song I had suggested listening to first is called "Together", not "Trouble". If by chance you do give it a try make sure you listen to it LOUD. It's that kind of song.

Anyway, I have another suggested "Not Classic Rock" band. It's a four-piece band from England called...The Beatles! Okay, not really. The band is called "The 1975", and they are really good. I'm not sure how to categorize them, though. Here's a quote from lead vocalist, producer, lyricist and rhythm guitarist Matthew Healy, "When I say we're a pop band, what I'm really saying is we're not a rock band. Please stop calling us a rock band -- because I think that's the only music we don't make." That sound pretty far removed from classic rock, right?

As an iTunes review of their third album "A Brief Inquiry Into Online Relationships" states, "Thanks to their eclecticism and adventure, attempting to label The 1975 has been as easy as serving tea in a sieve. The Cheshire lads are, once again, many things, including jazz crooners, 2-step experimentalists, and yearning balladeers. What's most impressive in their ability to wrangle all these ideas into coherent music, as their outsize ambition never makes the songs feel cluttered. And Healy's lyrics add extra substance to the kaleidoscope of styles."

The 1975 makes really creative and interesting music. I suggest you give them a legitimate chance. I don't think you will be sorry.
    I like the 1975 too. I saw them live a few years ago and it was a legitimate spectacle. Have had their stuff in rotation ever since.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    I like the 1975 too. I saw them live a few years ago and it was a legitimate spectacle. Have had their stuff in rotation ever since.
    It’s really cool😎 that you got to see The 1975 in concert. If this pandemic ever ends I’ll make a point of seeing them, too.

The new Jeff Tweedy album came out in its entirety and I love it at first blush. Feels like time capsule 1997 Wilco (my favorite band). https://variety.com/2020/music/news/...ng-1234812811/

Never mind.

Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post
    Never mind.
    Now, that’s alternative. (Or grunge)

Great recommendation on the new Jeff Tweedy album. You might also like the new My Morning Jacket album & the new Matt Berninger album. Both are quite good and low key. Caamp is another band you might like in this vein.

In line with the Beabadoobie rec (good album sometimes sounding like Liz Phair [Care] other hooks really similar to Smells Like Teen Spirit [Dye it Red]), you might like the new Bully album-- reminds me of Hole in a good way. I'm enjoying Fontaines D.C.'s new album. Really good licks. A Hero's Death particularly caught my ear and left me with good vibes during a long mtb ride yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Now, that’s alternative. (Or grunge)
    I am feeling sort of grungy after my power walk this morning.

As far as music goes I sometimes like a country sound. But which country? Linky

Anyone else love Susheela Raman? Salt Rain is one of my favorite albums since 2000. Here's a taster:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsS780orgiA

you might like the new Bully album-- reminds me of Hole in a good way.
    I hadn’t heard of Bully. Thanks for the tip.

This past weekend I listened several times to Hole’s legendary album “Live Through This”. Holy smokes, what an album! It’s not that I had forgotten, just that I hadn’t heard it for a while.

I saw Courtney Love and Hole on the tour for “Live Through This” at a venue called Liberty Lunch in downtown Austin shortly after Kurt’s death. Still one of the most amazing concerts I have ever seen.

Never got to see Hole live. What crazy timing to see them perform. Can only imagine the emotion in that room.

This should be a bumper crop season for new music. Political dissatisfaction, isolation / quarantine. It all makes good fuel for good music. Really liking a lot of what new stuff I'm hearing these days.

This should be a bumper crop season for new music. Political dissatisfaction, isolation / quarantine. It all makes good fuel for good music. Really liking a lot of what new stuff I'm hearing these days.
    So true about the current situation having created the perfect environment to foster great music. It makes perfect sense. And I agree with you about the recent music that has come out. There is good-to-great new music being released pretty much every week or two.

My teenage son has been keeping me informed. If not for him I probably would have been missing all of this and just continued listening only to music from the distant past.

Never got to see Hole live. What crazy timing to see them perform. Can only imagine the emotion in that room.
    When I get a bit more time I will tell you the story of what happened the night of the Hole concert in Austin in 1994. And let me tell you, it was even more than what you surmised, including hanging out with Courtney Love in the Liberty Lunch (the concert venue) parking lot after the show. It was so surreal I still have a hard time believing it happened. But it did.