Page 32 of 165 FirstFirst ... 2230313233344282132 ... LastLast
    Ooops, realized I forgot to post my latest reviews. Here is Nomadland, which is a work of art but isn't all that narratively strong or enjoyable: http://flixchat.blogspot.com/2021/02...nomadland.html

And here is Silk Road, which is not art and not enjoyable. The real life story it is based upon is muuuuuuch better than this convoluted movie: http://flixchat.blogspot.com/2021/02...silk-road.html
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Netflix is making The Trial of the Chicago 7 available on YouTube for free for the next 48 hours.

If you did not get a chance to se this fabulous film over the summer, watch it now!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2k9CIfJsONw

Here is the podcast where Josh and I rave about it: http://flixchat.blogspot.com/2020/09...-trial-of.html
    This movie was really really good. Sacha Baron Cohen was phenomenal.

Netflix is making The Trial of the Chicago 7 available on YouTube for free for the next 48 hours.

If you did not get a chance to se this fabulous film over the summer, watch it now!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2k9CIfJsONw

Here is the podcast where Josh and I rave about it: http://flixchat.blogspot.com/2020/09...-trial-of.html
    Thank you for letting us know. I had been meaning to see this so this gave me a reminder to do so. It was absolutely incredible. I strongly agree with Jason's recommendation.

Did Cohen win basically every "Best Supporting Actor" award that exists?

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Did Cohen win basically every "Best Supporting Actor" award that exists?
    He should, but he is getting a lot of competition from Paul Raci in Sound of Metal and Daniel Kaluuya for Judas and the Black Messiah. There’s also a lot of buzz about Leslie Odom Jr for One Night in Miami.

My ballot just submitted for the Southeastern Film Critics Association was Cohen, Kaluuya, and Glynn Thurman from Ma Raney.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Sporked for the recommendation. I don't speak Netflix, so it was nice to get the free YouTube translation.

The Trial of the Chicago 7 was a helpful history lesson about a period of time that was familiar but vague to me. Aaron Sorkin is a bit of a blunt instrument as a director (MLK speaks one line, BANG!, RFK speaks one line to grieve MLK, BANG!, and here's the body) and even more of a self-plagiarist as a writer, but I can tolerate his ability to tell an interesting story.

I agree that Sacha Baron Cohen has the showiest role in Chicago 7 as Abbie Hoffman, but his stand-up interludes were a bit much. (More of a Sorkin problem than a Cohen problem.) I preferred Yahya Abdul-Mateen II as Bobby Seale, but the film (maybe by design) is not that interested in him and gives him one repetitive thing to do. I was moderately impressed with Eddie Redmayne, who seemed to ease into his role rather than the overt A-C-T-I-N-G he did as Stephen Hawking or Newt Scamander.

I've also seen One Night in Miami (available on Amazon), which I enjoyed more. There was one scene (the flashback to Sam Cooke's concert in Detroit) where I thought "That was an interesting directorial choice" by Regina King. I never felt that way about Sorkin.

Sound of Metal (Amazon) was pretty good once the film stopped being about the struggle of a drummer (Riz Ahmed) continuing to pursue metal music as he progressively loses his sense of hearing. It sort of becomes its own lovely thing after a while, and Paul Raci takes control of the film so stealthily that I didn't even notice that he was a clergyman by profession until he wore something collar-esque. Awards aren't my primary concern, but I think Olivia Cooke is being overlooked here.

Nomadland is now on Hulu, so I'll make the effort soon.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Has anyone mentioned that the original The Muppet Show is on Disney+ now? A staple of my childhood! I haven't started watching yet (that happens tomorrow night), but I've read that the episodes come with a warning, about how the show is horribly culturally insensitive. Pfffft, the times that we live in. Bright side, despite the warning, they also make it clear that nothing has been cut, so kudos for that.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

I've become a big fan of Midnight Diner on Netflix. A good show for the times, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Has anyone mentioned that the original The Muppet Show is on Disney+ now? A staple of my childhood! I haven't started watching yet (that happens tomorrow night), but I've read that the episodes come with a warning, about how the show is horribly culturally insensitive. Pfffft, the times that we live in. Bright side, despite the warning, they also make it clear that nothing has been cut, so kudos for that.
    We've owned some of the DVDs through the years (my kids actually really liked them) but yes, I just found them on Disney+ this weekend. Will definitely be checking them out.
    "That young man has an extra step on his ladder the rest of us just don't have."

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    I agree that Sacha Baron Cohen has the showiest role in Chicago 7 as Abbie Hoffman, but his stand-up interludes were a bit much. (More of a Sorkin problem than a Cohen problem.) I preferred Yahya Abdul-Mateen II as Bobby Seale, but the film (maybe by design) is not that interested in him and gives him one repetitive thing to do. I was moderately impressed with Eddie Redmayne, who seemed to ease into his role rather than the overt A-C-T-I-N-G he did as Stephen Hawking or Newt Scamander.
    FWIW, those stand-up bits were not dramatic license. Not only did he really do it, but some (all?) of them were verbatim from monologues he actually gave. https://slate.com/culture/2020/10/tr...y-netflix.html

Hoffman spoke on college campuses about the trial while it was still in progress to raise money for the defense, and some of the monologues delivered in the film can be heard on his only record album, Wake Up, America!.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Nrrrrvous View Post
    We've owned some of the DVDs through the years (my kids actually really liked them) but yes, I just found them on Disney+ this weekend. Will definitely be checking them out.
    I read that some of what is on D+ was never released on home video, so you get some "new to you" viewing.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    Sound of Metal (Amazon) was pretty good once the film stopped being about the struggle of a drummer (Riz Ahmed) continuing to pursue metal music as he progressively loses his sense of hearing. It sort of becomes its own lovely thing after a while, and Paul Raci takes control of the film so stealthily that I didn't even notice that he was a clergyman by profession until he wore something collar-esque. Awards aren't my primary concern, but I think Olivia Cooke is being overlooked here.
    There seems to be a lot of love for this film, but I'm not feeling it, personally. I thought the film couldn't decide what story it wanted to tell and as a result, didn't tell any of them effectively. Not that someone in that position can't have more than one story to tell, but it's hard to pack a lifetime's worth of stories into a two-hour film. I thought Riz Ahmed's acting was good, but I didn't find the character he was given to be very relatable or coherent. I'm glad I saw it, and I've waited for a couple of weeks to see if it was one of those movies you don't "like" at first, but leaves an impression, anyway. It isn't. I'm only back here posting because I was browsing the thread, not because I found the movie to be lingering in my memory.

We watched Irresistible last night. It’s Jon Stewart’s directorial debut. It had its moments but was mostly meh, which is disappointing. It had something to say but didn’t say it well or in a very deep way, which is uncharacteristic for Stewart in other mediums.

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    There seems to be a lot of love for this film, but I'm not feeling it, personally. I thought the film couldn't decide what story it wanted to tell and as a result, didn't tell any of them effectively. Not that someone in that position can't have more than one story to tell, but it's hard to pack a lifetime's worth of stories into a two-hour film. I thought Riz Ahmed's acting was good, but I didn't find the character he was given to be very relatable or coherent. I'm glad I saw it, and I've waited for a couple of weeks to see if it was one of those movies you don't "like" at first, but leaves an impression, anyway. It isn't. I'm only back here posting because I was browsing the thread, not because I found the movie to be lingering in my memory.
    I am in the minority of critics in that I thought Sound of Metal, Nomadland, and Minari were all kinda... meh. Minari was probably the best of them bunch but I found all three to be lacking in overall story and pacing.

We saw The Little Things last night.

I would not recommend.

The cast is all-star and fantastic acting. The movie is pointless and lame. It says being a police officer is hard.

This movie had great potential, and Leto steals the show portraying a very creepy, sinister character quite well. The movie has its moments, but it's basically a waste of time. Skip.

If you want to see a great movie in this genre - see Seven or Silence of the Lambs, again.

I read that some of what is on D+ was never released on home video, so you get some "new to you" viewing.
    Definitely. The DVDs, if I recall, were more of a "Greatest Hits" collection. Steve Martin, Gilda Radner, Elton John, etc.
    "That young man has an extra step on his ladder the rest of us just don't have."

Definitely. The DVDs, if I recall, were more of a "Greatest Hits" collection. Steve Martin, Gilda Radner, Elton John, etc.
    Tonight was supposed to be the night that we started watching, but some stupid sports game thing interfered.

To your point, The Muppet Show was one of those shows that celebrities sought out, like they do/did The Simpsons. What I'm stoked for, is that I literally haven't seen any of them since I watched them as a kid. But it's one of those shows that I have crazy vivid memories of. Luke Skywalker in Pigs In Space. Paul Simon hearing that they thought his song was 50 Ways To Love Your Lever. Weird bouncy birds singing ABBA's Take a Chance On Me.

AND OMG CHARLIE DANIELS playing the Devil Went Down To Georgia Muppet style!!!

Anyways, tonight was supposed to be the night, but for sure, tomorrow will be the night that
    It's time to meet the Muppets on the Muppet Show tonight!

Wait, what?!?! We bought some of the DVDs many years ago, but they never released DVDs past season 3. Are Seasons 4 and 5 on streaming? I've got Disney+ for my son, and I'd love to finish the run.

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    Wait, what?!?! We bought some of the DVDs many years ago, but they never released DVDs past season 3. Are Seasons 4 and 5 on streaming? I've got Disney+ for my son, and I'd love to finish the run.
    Yes, seasons 4 and 5 are there.

118 most sensational, inspirational, celebrational, Muppetational episodes!

Yes, seasons 4 and 5 are there.

118 most sensational, inspirational, celebrational, Muppetational episodes!
    Well, then, it's time to put on make up, it's time to light the lights!!