Page 133 of 165 FirstFirst ... 3383123131132133134135143 ... LastLast
Results 2,641 to 2,660 of 3288
    Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    That’s not the spoiler. The spoiler is how John Wick spontaneously regenerates at the cellular level. That’s why the film has the title John Wick: Chapter 4 - Paramecium.
    And now his watch has ended.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    If Top Gun saved movies, John Wick 4 is its successor. Yet another movie that demands to be seen on a big screen. Here is my gushing 100-Word Review
    Perhaps economically, but the NY Times' The Daily podcast this morning featured their lead movie critic, A.O. Scott, explaining that he is resigning because of the deluge of franchise, IP-driven movies. He highlighted the glut of superhero movies, but his review also described "Maverick" as "bland and basic." Admittedly, among the Top Gun and John Wick movies, I've only seen Maverick.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Duke79UNLV77 View Post
    Perhaps economically, but the NY Times' The Daily podcast this morning featured their lead movie critic, A.O. Scott, explaining that he is resigning because of the deluge of franchise, IP-driven movies. He highlighted the glut of superhero movies, but his review also described "Maverick" as "bland and basic." Admittedly, among the Top Gun and John Wick movies, I've only seen Maverick.
    That's funny. Despite the "glut", not a single one of those won an academy award of importance this year, did they? (I'm not talking sound or special effects.)
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

I mean, if he thinks TG: Maverick was "bland and basic" then he is so out of touch with -- a) the craft of filmmaking and b) what moviegoers want -- then it is probably good that his opinion will no longer be part of the cinematic critical universe.

Look, I lament the over-reliance on existing IP as much as the next guy when it comes to Hollywood's production these days. I am dreading watching the upcoming Super Mario Bros movie, let me tell you. But, audiences clearly crave these kind of films and without audiences, the movie industry cannot survive. In fact, I think that celebrating folks who do IP/franchise films right (like Maverick, Wick, Mission Impossible, Puss In Boots and others) should be job #1 of critics these days. High quality, creative films that are also obvious boxoffice tentpoles are the sweet spot where the film industry not only survives, it thrives.

-Jason "full disclosure, I voted for Top Gun Maverick as my top movie of the year last year for my critic groups (AFCC and SEFCA)... just ahead of Banshees and Everything, Everywhere" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

I mean, if he thinks TG: Maverick was "bland and basic" then he is so out of touch with -- a) the craft of filmmaking and b) what moviegoers want -- then it is probably good that his opinion will no longer be part of the cinematic critical universe.

Look, I lament the over-reliance on existing IP as much as the next guy when it comes to Hollywood's production these days. I am dreading watching the upcoming Super Mario Bros movie, let me tell you. But, audiences clearly crave these kind of films and without audiences, the movie industry cannot survive. In fact, I think that celebrating folks who do IP/franchise films right (like Maverick, Wick, Mission Impossible, Puss In Boots and others) should be job #1 of critics these days. High quality, creative films that are also obvious boxoffice tentpoles are the sweet spot where the film industry not only survives, it thrives.

-Jason "full disclosure, I voted for Top Gun Maverick as my top movie of the year last year for my critic groups (AFCC and SEFCA)... just ahead of Banshees and Everything, Everywhere" Evans
    I recently watched Maverick. Late to the party. I have a hard time watching movies that everyone says are great - I guess my expectations seem to get out of line with reality.

But man, it was a lot of fun. Nice balance of nostalgia and callbacks. Good story. The action scenes were fun and not overlong.

I don't know about best of the year, but I absolutely enjoyed it.

Why did you think Banshees was so great? Feel free to send a link to your review. I watched it and thought it was just meh. I really didn't understand the accolades. On the other hand, I thought Everything, Everywhere was terrific and worthy of the awards it received.
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Why did you think Banshees was so great? Feel free to send a link to your review. I watched it and thought it was just meh. I really didn't understand the accolades. On the other hand, I thought Everything, Everywhere was terrific and worthy of the awards it received.
    I thought the cast was incredible and they made these characters so watchable. I get that some people might find it slow -- I said as much in my review -- but I found the whole thing dripping with humanity and honesty. Any movie that can make me laugh and also wipe a tear is a worthwhile viewing experience.

Here is my review: https://flixchat.blogspot.com/2022/1...lm-critic.html

Worth noting that BoI is one of those films that has a divide between critic and audience opinions. 96% from Critics on RT, but just a 75% score from regular folks ranking it on Flixter.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

I thought the cast was incredible and they made these characters so watchable. I get that some people might find it slow -- I said as much in my review -- but I found the whole thing dripping with humanity and honesty. Any movie that can make me laugh and also wipe a tear is a worthwhile viewing experience.

Here is my review: https://flixchat.blogspot.com/2022/1...lm-critic.html

Worth noting that BoI is one of those films that has a divide between critic and audience opinions. 96% from Critics on RT, but just a 75% score from regular folks ranking it on Flixter.
    I thought Kerry Condon as Siobhán Súilleabháin was a revelation, and by far the best part of that very good movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    I thought Kerry Condon as Siobhán Súilleabháin was a revelation, and by far the best part of that very good movie.
    Steven, I'll give you a free bet pie if you tell me you spelled that out from memory.

She also plays Mike Ehrmantraut’s daughter-in-law on Breaking Bad. Very different accent!

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Steven, I'll give you a free bet pie if you tell me you spelled that out from memory.
    Lol. As much as I’d like to claim otherwise, I did not spell that lovely name from memory.

Alas, my mastery of Gaelic is not what it once was. 😞

Lol. As much as I’d like to claim otherwise, I did not spell that lovely name from memory.

Alas, my mastery of Gaelic is not what it once was. 😞
    That was testament to your honesty and nothing else.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    I recently watched Maverick. Late to the party. I have a hard time watching movies that everyone says are great - I guess my expectations seem to get out of line with reality.

But man, it was a lot of fun. Nice balance of nostalgia and callbacks. Good story. The action scenes were fun and not overlong.

I don't know about best of the year, but I absolutely enjoyed it.
    I’m out of touch too. Watched it twice because my son wanted to watch it when he visited. Double meh.

Scott is definitely aware that franchise blockbusters are what moviegoers pay to see, and I'm sure he appreciates the technical aspects of the flight scenes. If that's enough for someone to love the movie, then great. I thought that even the flight scenes were silly, formulaic, and predictable in their choreography, plot, and dialogue if you thought about them much, and the rest of the movie was below average. Scott's view is that the job of the critic isn't to tell viewers what to like, but it is to challenge viewers some and to spark a conversation. He gave an example of challenging high-brow NYT readers with his favorable review of "Freddy Got Fingered." Scott lamented that the franchise blockbusters are such hype machines that negative critiques often don't spark conversations but are just met with, you're wrong, and it's clearly what moviegoers want. He noted several streaming movies he's liked, but he doesn't think they have as broad of a cultural impact and, because of algorithms, viewers aren't often challenged to go out of their comfort zone.

He noted several streaming movies he's liked, but he doesn't think they have as broad of a cultural impact and, because of algorithms, viewers aren't often challenged to go out of their comfort zone.
    That's an interesting point, but to some extent, it is also a self-fulfilling prophecy. If you challenge yourself, and seek out new content, the algorithms will learn that about you and serve up more challenging material. But yes, in general, the algorithms will do whatever keeps your eyeballs in place, and for most folks, that's more of the same. It's worse for young people who were not taught to be skeptical about what they're being served.

If Top Gun saved movies, John Wick 4 is its successor. Yet another movie that demands to be seen on a big screen. Here is my gushing 100-Word Review
    https://flixchat.blogspot.com/2023/0...john-wick.html
    $73.5 mil opening weekend. I think it will have legs too. I could see this film topping $250 mil in total boxoffice. Would love to know if any of you saw it and what you thought.

$73.5 mil opening weekend. I think it will have legs too. I could see this film topping $250 mil in total boxoffice. Would love to know if any of you saw it and what you thought.
    ]
    Saw it in Imax yesterday. Better than 3, maybe better than 2. Well done, excellent action - kung fu and car fu. Expected a different end of credits scene. Not sure I’ll do repeat business like I did with Maverick.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    I wonder if Marvel is getting a little antsy (pun unintended) with news of their new supervillain making the rounds following his arrest this weekend.
    It seems that Jonathon Majors has a reputation for being a wanker. The following quotes are from two directors he has worked with.

"There's a particular actor, relatively new on the scene, who Twitter has violently fallen head over heels for who, in actuality, is a vicious, cruel, abusive human being, both professionally and in his personal life, and every new viral thirst tweet about him drives me insane."
    "I’m just gonna say this about Jonathan Majors and be done with it: folks at Yale and the broader NYC community have known about him for years. He’s a sociopath and abuser and that is how virtually everyone speaks about him. It’s a shame it took this long for him to be reported."
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    I wonder if Marvel is getting a little antsy (pun unintended) with news of their new supervillain making the rounds following his arrest this weekend.
    It seems that Jonathon Majors has a reputation for being a wanker. The following quotes are from two directors he has worked with.
    As I mentioned before, he is a 'heel.

Maverick has become my go to movie on flights when I can’t find anything else to watch.