Page 12 of 165 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262112 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    I finished watching the last of season 2 of the Alienist and it didn't disappoint. This TV show is based on the real life story of Isabella Goodwin who was the first female detective in NY city. Hired by then police commissioner Teddy Roosevelt. Hoping for season 3 probably in 2022.
    The Alienist and Angel of Darkness are based on books by Caleb Carr. He is supposedly writing a third The Alienist at Armageddon. The character Sara Howard is based on Goodwin. Carr used a lot of historical fact in his books. I read both books a while back, but I swear Angel of Darkness is totally different from what I remembered. I need to re-read to see how much really was changed from the books.

The Personal History of David Copperfield is gorgeous to look at and surprisingly funny. I mean, who knew Dickens could be funny!?!?!

Here is my 100-word-review: https://flixchat.blogspot.com/2020/0...-personal.html

It is easy to tell that the cast had great fun making this film and many of the characters are instantly endearing. The sets and cinematography are top-notch, transporting us to another era and dripping with atmosphere.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I mean, who knew Dickens could be funny!?!?!
    I have Great Expectations for this.

I mean, who knew Dickens could be funny!?!?!
    Edmund Wells!

Somebody had to say it.

Quote Originally Posted by cspan37421 View Post
    Edmund Wells!

Somebody had to say it.
    The expurgated version?

-jk

Watched episode one of Lovecraft Country. Quite curious to see where it goes next.

I already mentioned "Ted Lasso" it's delightful.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Watched the first seven or eight episodes of Archer season 1 with SonPK tonight. As always, wondering if I am the best father or the worst father in the world.

FWIW he enjoyed it.

Here is my 100-word-review of Mulan... in case you are wondering if you should subscribe to Disney+ and spend $30 on it, my answer is a resounding NO!

https://flixchat.blogspot.com/2020/0...ews-mulan.html

Though a lavish production with gorgeous scenery, Mulan still fails to answer the question, “why did Disney make this?” The film is a pale knock-off of the beloved cartoon (minus any humor or songs).
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Here is my 100-word-review of Mulan... in case you are wondering if you should subscribe to Disney+ and spend $30 on it, my answer is a resounding NO!

I accidentally posted this early -- embargo was 9am PT and I posted at 9am ET... yikes! But, I took it down within seconds and only made it live now.

The saga of a film critic

Wait, you have to pay thirty dollars​ to watch it? Yeesh. I'm not a fan of the seemingly unending stream of live action remakes of classic animated films, so hopefully this movie tanks.

How do you get $30? I joined Disney+ in July to see Hamilton as well as some other things and I think it was $7 a month? It has worked as planned for them as my kids like it and we didn't end up cancelling after the first month, but you could theoretically just join for a month, see the movie, and quit.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    How do you get $30? I joined Disney+ in July to see Hamilton as well as some other things and I think it was $7 a month? It has worked as planned for them as my kids like it and we didn't end up cancelling after the first month, but you could theoretically just join for a month, see the movie, and quit.
    Because they are charging $30 to watch it (on top).

Quote Originally Posted by freshmanjs View Post
    Gotcha. Thanks - didn't know that. I think my kids might be vaguely interested but the price tag plus Jason's review will make me steer them away.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Gotcha. Thanks - didn't know that. I think my kids might be vaguely interested but the price tag plus Jason's review will make me steer them away.
    I might be stuck with it. My middle son is absolutely crazy to see it. I told him before Jason's review that he'll be disappointed, but I expect to be overruled.

I don't particularly want to watch Mulan, but I do hope the premium stream at home option becomes more normal for new movies. I'd easily pay $50 to see the next Marvel movie at home, rather than pay a similar amount to deal with theater crowds, people on their phones, people talking, crunching popcorn, wrinkling candy wrappers, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    I might be stuck with it. My middle son is absolutely crazy to see it. I told him before Jason's review that he'll be disappointed, but I expect to be overruled.
    I will freely admit that I am in the minority of critics on this one. A fair number of my critic friends really thought it was wonderful. It is gorgeous to gaze upon, Disney did not go the cheap route in making this film. But, I found the story uninspiring and obvious and the whole thing started falling apart in the back half when it embraces the fantastical more than the real. My sons (21 & 23) were actually laughing out loud during the climax at how ridiculous the whole thing was.

It is possible that younger audiences may be able to look past some of what we disliked to enjoy this film.

By the way, the reason I have not posted a Tenet review is that it was not available for critics to stream. We had to attend an in-person screening at a theater and I refused to do that (as did the vast majority of my critic friends). I suspect there were fewer than a dozen critics at the screening, so it may have been a reasonably safe situation, but I was not willing to risk it to see a movie.

I have heard from many who have seen it that Tenet is probably the worst film Nolan has made. Has anyone here braved a theater to see it?

I am sick of sequels and remakes. Both in film and on TV. Seriously, does Hollywood not have an original idea left?

Apparently you “own” it for that price (as long as you are Disney + subscriber.) It would be nice if they converted it to Movies Anywhere after its free on Disney +.

I don't particularly want to watch Mulan, but I do hope the premium stream at home option becomes more normal for new movies. I'd easily pay $50 to see the next Marvel movie at home, rather than pay a similar amount to deal with theater crowds, people on their phones, people talking, crunching popcorn, wrinkling candy wrappers, etc.
    Sean Parker (of Napster fame) tried to do that a few years ago but got nowhere. There is a company call Prima Cinema that offers the service. It’s $500 per movie, per date plus $35,000 for the base equipment and setup.