Page 108 of 166 FirstFirst ... 85898106107108109110118158 ... LastLast
Results 2,141 to 2,160 of 3302
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by plimnko View Post
    i watched part of the first episode and have yet to go back to try to finish it. I might just have to let it go.
    We watched all of the first, and I've noticed that GF has not brought up watching the next episode. (And I haven't either.)
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

This weeks episode really picks up and portends plenty of action to come.

We started watching Abbott Elementary and it’s got a lot of heart and personality. In The Office vein but in a Philly school. Some good moments.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    We started watching Abbott Elementary and it’s got a lot of heart and personality. In The Office vein but in a Philly school. Some good moments.
    Man, I have to say... I saw a few minutes, and I just couldn't... as a teacher, I was like... no no no. Like... I don't want to see a show about work, especially if I doubt it really hits on the issues of work in a way that won't frustrate me.

Not sure if I should give it another go.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ash View Post
    Man, I have to say... I saw a few minutes, and I just couldn't... as a teacher, I was like... no no no. Like... I don't want to see a show about work, especially if I doubt it really hits on the issues of work in a way that won't frustrate me.

Not sure if I should give it another go.
    It’s definitely a sitcom. It hasn’t hit on some difficult urban school issues at all. I just find many of the characters amusing and endearing and some decent situational comedy, much like The Office.

But, yeah, if you’re looking for a poignant and insightful dramedy about teaching, not sure this is it.

It’s definitely a sitcom. It hasn’t hit on some difficult urban school issues at all. I just find many of the characters amusing and endearing and some decent situational comedy, much like The Office.

But, yeah, if you’re looking for a poignant and insightful dramedy about teaching, not sure this is it.
    They can’t all be “The White Shadow.”

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    They can’t all be “The White Shadow.”
    Or “Welcome Back, Kotter.”

The Americanization of Emily

Last night Mrs. rasputin and I re-watched The Americanization of Emily, a 1964 movie that was one of the first of the anti-war WWII films, starring James Garner and Julie Andrews. With a Paddy Chayefsky screenplay and some really good supporting actors (including Melvin Douglas, James Coburn, Edward Binns, Keenan Wynn, William Windom) and enjoyable bit parts by Alan Sues and Judy Carne, of future Laugh-In fame), this is a really good one. I had forgotten how really good the scriptwriting was.

We got to thinking about the WWII movies, which eventually faded out, or faded into anti-war movies. There was still another really good, non-ironic WWII movie made in 1964, starring Burt Lancaster, The Train. I think the rah-rah war movies went dormant then, unless you count The Green Berets, which stands (or falls) on its own (which it does, if you know what I mean).

My wife really needs this show. She's a bit burnt out from home schooling, but it has renewed her resolve to never send our kids to inner city public schools in Philly.

In 2023, will Sharknado meet its match with the release of Cocaine Bear?!

It tells the story of a drug runner whose plane crashes with a load of cocaine that's found by a black bear, who eats it.

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt14209916/

So Hocus Pocus 2 comes out tomorrow on Disney+. I was a kid when the first one came out and despite the bad reviews, it still holds up well for me and my wife. We recently sat our 6 year old down to watch it and she is all in for the second one tomorrow. Will it be great? Probably not. But I bet we will enjoy it!

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Finally slogged through the most recent two episodes. It just isn't grabbing me. I really want to be into it - I've been a Tolkien afficiando since I was knee high to a Hobbit. It just doesn't do it for me.
    Just finished the latest episode. I think it is easily the best one so far. No Hobbits. But plenty of Orcs, Men, and Elves (well, plenty of Elrond and Galadriel). I was able to guess what tack the stories would take in a couple instances. Which is surprising. I didn't think I would remember the ancient storylines, but was pleasantly mistaken.
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

Yes, this weeks episode is the best so far and the action is picking up. I liked having no Harfoots in it as well.

Anyone have any good new scary movie suggestions?

Coming this December... Santa Wick

This looks amazing!
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post

This looks amazing!
    That was different. But I'm definitely hoping for Charlize Theron to be Mrs. Claus in the sequel.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post

This looks amazing!
    Better than Jack Frost?

explains how he gets down the chimney

I'm enjoying the Lincoln Lawyer series on Netflix. Saw the movie years ago.

Not a super-hero/sci-fi/fantasy fan. Haven't found much yet on this thread. The In Bruges follow-on sounds promising.

I do like (non-war) documentaries, so a couple of candidates...

Quote Originally Posted by jimmymax View Post
    I'm enjoying the Lincoln Lawyer series on Netflix. Saw the movie years ago.

Not a super-hero/sci-fi/fantasy fan. Haven't found much yet on this thread. The In Bruges follow-on sounds promising.

I do like (non-war) documentaries, so a couple of candidates...
    If you like documentaries, check out Class Action Park. Certainly is a window into growing up in NJ in the 80s.

And Chernobyl is fantastic.