Page 104 of 165 FirstFirst ... 45494102103104105106114154 ... LastLast
Results 2,061 to 2,080 of 3288
    Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post
    Definitely not my jar of honey.

IMHO this idea doesn't deserve anything more than the SNL skit treatment.
    Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Not even going to waste time watching the trailer. A lot of schlock out there, this fits right in.
    Philistines! All of you!

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Winnie is gonna make lots of $. Snakes on a Plane is all the proof one needs to know that a stupid movie doesn't prevent the money from flowing in.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Winnie is gonna make lots of $. Snakes on a Plane is all the proof one needs to know that a stupid movie doesn't prevent the money from flowing in.
    Well maybe, if they had gotten Samuel L. Jackson to play Winnie.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post
    Well maybe, if they had gotten Samuel L. Jackson to play Winnie.
    How do you know they didn't? He's in a mask. (By the way, if it is Sam, then he's playing Winnie The Mutha Effin Poo.)
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by Gooch View Post
    That looks absolutely terrible. I thought it might be an SNL spoof at first. I guess slasher films aren’t my thing.
    I don't mind horror films. But to be perfectly honest this ticks me off in the biggest way. Taking a beloved children's book/movie/tv show and turning it into this sick stuff just doesn't sit right with me. Felt the same about that lame Banana Splits horror film a few years back.

Having said that, I am up for "Halloween Ends" next month. Probably won't be any good, but at this point I might as well see it through to the end (no pun intended).

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDukie View Post
    I don't mind horror films. But to be perfectly honest this ticks me off in the biggest way. Taking a beloved children's book/movie/tv show and turning it into this sick stuff just doesn't sit right with me. Felt the same about that lame Banana Splits horror film a few years back.

Having said that, I am up for "Halloween Ends" next month. Probably won't be any good, but at this point I might as well see it through to the end (no pun intended).
    My understanding is that Winnie the Pooh became public domain recently. This means anyone can do anything with the characters - correct?

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    My understanding is that Winnie the Pooh became public domain recently. This means anyone can do anything with the characters - correct?
    Yep. That's why this is happening. Still despise it though.

There's a movie called Samaritan coming 0ut on prime that looks interesting. Star Sylvester Stallone I believe it's in a month.

Saw a trailer for dungeons and dragons .
    Chris pine and Michelle Rodriguez .
    Looks promising not sure of the release date.

There are so many promising movies in the near future . Jason Evans is going to have a field day reviewing them.

Quote Originally Posted by wavedukefan70s View Post
    There's a movie called Samaritan coming 0ut on prime that looks interesting. Star Sylvester Stallone I believe it's in a month.

Saw a trailer for dungeons and dragons .
    Chris pine and Michelle Rodriguez .
    Looks promising not sure of the release date.

There are so many promising movies in the near future . Jason Evans is going to have a field day reviewing them.
    It's out now. I downloaded it to watch on a camping trip but still have yet to watch. Not the greatest reviews, but it looks interesting enough to check it out.

It's out now. I downloaded it to watch on a camping trip but still have yet to watch. Not the greatest reviews, but it looks interesting enough to check it out.
    It's not top gun maverick. But it's not to bad .soon as I saw your post I went and found it.

September is the worst month of the year for quality movies. Not even close. Wait until you read my review of Confess Fletch next week…
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

I finally saw “Maverick.” It was visually entertaining, and I enjoyed The Who song, even though it was disassembled and jumbled around. Beyond that, though, I found it quite formulaic and extremely predictable. It was obvious Rooster, Maverick, and the other chosen ones would be picked for the mission. The romance was obvious. It was clear Iceman would die after his scene. I knew the mission would succeed, Maverick would fire a shot to save Rooster at the last second, and Hangman would fire a shot to save Maverick and Rooster at the last second. Cruise played pretty much the same character he almost always plays. I’m just not much of a summer blockbuster guy. If you are, I suppose it would be a fun ride.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke79UNLV77 View Post
    I finally saw “Maverick.” It was visually entertaining, and I enjoyed The Who song, even though it was disassembled and jumbled around. Beyond that, though, I found it quite formulaic and extremely predictable. It was obvious Rooster, Maverick, and the other chosen ones would be picked for the mission. The romance was obvious. It was clear Iceman would die after his scene. I knew the mission would succeed, Maverick would fire a shot to save Rooster at the last second, and Hangman would fire a shot to save Maverick and Rooster at the last second. Cruise played pretty much the same character he almost always plays. I’m just not much of a summer blockbuster guy. If you are, I suppose it would be a fun ride.
    Well so much for the movie not being spoiled for me now!

I had a similar reaction but I don’t say it out loud.

Yup, I doubt there is a single person in the theater that thinks the mission will fail or Mav won't get the girl in the end. If you want truly shocking movie surprises, summer blockbusters are generally not where you go to find them. Still, the execution of the story and the thrill ride of the final half hour or so is pretty special, even if you sorta know what is coming.

Bottom line -- everyone is entitled to their opinion. I would merely say that your's is in a pretty tiny minority.

More than 50,000 people have reviewed Maverick for Rotten Tomatoes audience score metric and 99% of them have given it a thumbs up (I suspect the number is higher than 99%, but RT does not display the decimal place). What's more, those viewers have given the film an average rating of 4.9 out of 5 stars. Again, that is the average review score. It is one thing to say "yes, it is a good movie" and a whole different thing to consistently, almost without fail, see a movie get 5-star reviews from viewers. Perhaps there are widely seen films that have put up a number like that in the past, but I am not aware of one. Heck, I just did a quick check of other widely beloved films and I can't find anything else that has topped 95% in audience score.

I'm not saying it is the best film ever made, but the collective praise for TG:Maverick from audiences is pretty darn close to unprecedented.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Well so much for the movie not being spoiled for me now!
    So sorry! I was thinking I was about the last to see it and there already had been plot discussion, but I guess I was wrong! It appears to be too late to edit my post, but perhaps a moderator can edit or delete it?

I have literally watched this 15 to 20 times. I just went in that I love to watch air planes . The fact that he's working on a p51 I just paid 3 grand to ride in the Week before really just pulled me right in.

Not to be nit picky but.when penny's talking to him about going ballistic in a f18 .when I know he flew f14's and they didn't cross train platform's then irked me a bit.
    Of course maybe they took another ride?

I didn't feel like I got any closure on maverick and roosters relationship at the end .I wanted more story line on that.

When miles teller plays the piano everyone near me in the theater got sucked into that scene .
    I'm going to watch it again in a few hours.

My take on it being predictable is that "of course it is". But it's FUN! A good metaphor is a roller coaster.
    You stand in line for thirty minutes, get on, get off, and stand in line...again! You know exactly what's going to happen on the ride, every twist and turn, especially the second time, but you had such a blast that you're going back for round two.

My take on it being predictable is that "of course it is". But it's FUN! A good metaphor is a roller coaster.
    You stand in line for thirty minutes, get on, get off, and stand in line...again! You know exactly what's going to happen on the ride, every twist and turn, especially the second time, but you had such a blast that you're going back for round two.
    I had thought about this analogy. If I could just turn my mind off for everything but the special effects spectacle of the flight scenes, it would be fun. I think it gives most people what they're looking for in a summer block buster and nostalgia pic, which helps its high rotten tomato scores, but contemporary consensus doesn't carry much weight to me in art. It wasn't just predictable that the mission would succeed and the hero would get the girl. Every single what was supposed to be a dramatic moment along the way was completely formulaic and predictable, the characters were all stock, and the one-liners were cringe-worthy. But, who am I to blow against the wind?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Yup, I doubt there is a single person in the theater that thinks the mission will fail or Mav won't get the girl in the end. If you want truly shocking movie surprises, summer blockbusters are generally not where you go to find them. Still, the execution of the story and the thrill ride of the final half hour or so is pretty special, even if you sorta know what is coming.

Bottom line -- everyone is entitled to their opinion. I would merely say that your's is in a pretty tiny minority.

More than 50,000 people have reviewed Maverick for Rotten Tomatoes audience score metric and 99% of them have given it a thumbs up (I suspect the number is higher than 99%, but RT does not display the decimal place). What's more, those viewers have given the film an average rating of 4.9 out of 5 stars. Again, that is the average review score. It is one thing to say "yes, it is a good movie" and a whole different thing to consistently, almost without fail, see a movie get 5-star reviews from viewers. Perhaps there are widely seen films that have put up a number like that in the past, but I am not aware of one. Heck, I just did a quick check of other widely beloved films and I can't find anything else that has topped 95% in audience score.

I'm not saying it is the best film ever made, but the collective praise for TG:Maverick from audiences is pretty darn close to unprecedented.
    High ratings don’t necessarily mean a great film, at least not in the artistic sense. For example I would give Maverick an 8 out of 10 even though I too found the story cliched, the characters stereotypical and the dialogue pulpy. Why would I still give it a good rating and even recommend it to friends? Because the production values were off the charts and the film itself was a joyride. Tom worked so, so hard to take us up close and personal into the world of these amazing machines. The producers spent a fortune and cut through a lot of red tape just to give us a real taste of the experience of being in an actual jet fighter while it is being pushed to its limits. What’s not to admire about that?

tl;dr For me the film wasn’t great art but it was an amazing production and a fun joyride. Exactly as intended. Nothing wrong with that. Would recommend.