Page 141 of 166 FirstFirst ... 4191131139140141142143151 ... LastLast
Results 2,801 to 2,820 of 3301
    Quote Originally Posted by Channing View Post
    Just finished Goliath on Prime Video. First two seasons were better than the last two but all four were entertaining and Billy Bob Thornton played a great character.
    Great show. Billy Bob is also great in S1 of Fargo.

It will be a few days before I post my official review, but I can tell you that The Flash is fun, funny, and full of surprises. Do yourself a favor and do not get spoiled one little bit! You want to know as little as possible about what is happening and who it is happening to.

It is not perfect and it sucks that we got this multiversal film only days after the incredible Spiderverse, but The Flash is almost certainly the best film in the DCEU (not exactly a super tough thing to do... Wonder Woman is the bar you need to clear).

Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Thanks Jason. I generally operate under the assumption that DC movies will stink so this is good to know.

The "New Yorker" wishing movies could break the comic books/franchise films habit so that actors don't "disappear into movies whose plots can come down to 'Keep glowy thing away from bad guy.'"

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2...d=CRMNYR012019

Quote Originally Posted by Duke79UNLV77 View Post
    The "New Yorker" wishing movies could break the comic books/franchise films habit so that actors don't "disappear into movies whose plots can come down to 'Keep glowy thing away from bad guy.'"

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2...d=CRMNYR012019
    On a similar note, Jason, any opinion/clue as to when Hollywood will end this cycle of remakes/reboots/sequels? I am waiting for some originality to return!

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    On a similar note, Jason, any opinion/clue as to when Hollywood will end this cycle of remakes/reboots/sequels? I am waiting for some originality to return!
    There are fabulous, original films every year... audiences just don't bother to see many of them. It costs tens, perhaps hundreds of millions of dollars to make a significant Hollywood picture at this point. I can hardly blame studios for relying on known, established IP given the money that can be lost on a film that does not have a built-in audience.

That said: Elvis, Nope, Everything Everywhere, The Fabelmen, The Woman King, The Menu, The Northman, Massive Talent, Glass Onion, Tar, Banshees, RRR, Three Thousand Years of Longing, Marcel the Shell, She Said, The Whale, Triangle of Sadness, Emily the Criminal, and The Outfit.

Not a bad movie in that bunch and every single one of them is quite original.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

So, uh, anyone make it through the first two episodes of The Idol? There have been some, ahem, strong choices, that’s for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    So, uh, anyone make it through the first two episodes of The Idol? There have been some, ahem, strong choices, that’s for sure.
    I dragged myself through 1 1/2 episides and gave up. Had potential but ended up just dreary.

Quote Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
    I dragged myself through 1 1/2 episides and gave up. Had potential but ended up just dreary.
    Dreary and just kind of gross. The Weekend, specifically. Really, really ew.

I stumbled onto a gem of a movie last night. It is Victoria (2015), a film that all takes place in real time in one night in Berlin. A girl who moved there recently from Spain and has no friends meets 4 Berlin guys who are out to party. And possibly worse. The 2 hour 15 min film is shot in one take (!!) and it makes you feel like you are right there on this ride with them. But forget the “gimmick” -- it is just a great film. Even though it is a German film 3/4 of the dialogue is in Englush because that is the only language they have in common.

It won a lot of awards and user reviews are all 8-10 or 1-2. I guess you either get caught up in the action or you don’t. Also it starts out slow but really picks up steam as it goes. It is on Paramount+ and Showtime for free, on Prime for 3.99.

Busy week of screenings for me. Seeing both Indiana Jones and Asteroid City tonight. Saw Flash a few days ago. Caught Elemental last night.

The Flash is a really good DC comic book movie... which isn't exactly a high bar to clear. It has some script problems and the CGI is awful at times but comic book movie fans will get plenty of laughs and maybe even a few thrills . Here is my 100-word review: https://flixchat.blogspot.com/2023/0...ews-flash.html

Warning: This film is best when you don’t know what to expect. Do yourself a favor and make sure you avoid all spoilers!!

There are a half a dozen laugh-out-loud moments in the action-packed opening and it keeps up the humor throughout.
    the-flash-movie-poster-01-700x400-1.jpg
    Last edited by JasonEvans; 06-15-2023 at 02:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Busy week of screenings for me. Seeing both Indiana Jones and Asteroid City tonight. Saw Flash a few days ago. Caught Elemental last night.

The Flash is a really good DC comic book movie... which isn't exactly a high bar to clear. It has some script problems and the CGI is awful at times but comic book movie fans will get plenty of laughs and maybe even a few thrills . Here is my 100-word review: https://flixchat.blogspot.com/2023/0...ews-flash.html

the-flash-movie-poster-01-700x400-1.jpg
    Apparently that's by design or the best excuse ever. Mild spoilers in the link.

The Flash's Visual Effects Are Meant to Look Like That

Quote Originally Posted by Kdogg View Post
    Apparently that's by design or the best excuse ever. Mild spoilers in the link.

The Flash's Visual Effects Are Meant to Look Like That
    Uhhhh, yeah... sure... ok.

Regardless of the reason, the CGI totally takes you out of the movie. The best films are immersive and we feel transported. Having bad CGI makes that impossible. If it as a choice, it was a bad one.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Busy week of screenings for me. Seeing both Indiana Jones and Asteroid City tonight.
    4 word reviews

Indy - good, but not great
    Asteroid - Delightful, best Anderson yet!

Thoughts on the new season of Black Mirror?

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Thoughts on the new season of Black Mirror?
    Meh. I’m one half episode from finishing. I’m a big BM fan but this season is not nearly up to the standards of the previous ones. The originals STILL stick with me; they were that thought provoking. This batch has good production values and big name actors but the stories aren’t that compelling. The set ups are good, but the payoffs lacking. For example
    I thought the first one started off great but by the end it didn’t even make sense. MAJOR plot holes there. The others seemed derivative - something you could never say about the early seasons!

What did you think?

At this point, you probably need to know what you are in for to really "get" Wes Anderson's movies. I can't imagine what someone who has not experienced Rushmore or Grand Budapest or one of his other films would think to come into Asteroid City cold. But, if you even remotely enjoy his quirky style then you will probably love Asteroid City. Here is my 100-word review: https://flixchat.blogspot.com/2023/0...-asteroid.html

Each scene is a work of art, full of arresting imagery and revealing camera movement.

Does anyone watch Dave on Hulu? Once you get through the first few episodes of Season 1, which has a lot of juvenile comedy, the series gets into some serious issues but in a humorous way. It's really well written and a hidden gem on TV and I suspect most people (like me) who are Gen X or older have no idea about the show.
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Hulu: The Bear

-Moving this here. Didn't see this thread when I initially looked to post and I did it in another thread..

This is a great little show.
    Season 1 was intentionally disjointed. You were thrown into the fire and had to figure out the relationships and context on the fly.
    Much Like Carmy (the central Character). It pays off at the end of season one and everything is more understood.

Season 2 - so far, is still at the high level.
    Why I bring it up here, this show takes place in Chicago.. Coach K's book is prominently mentioned in 3 episodes so far.
    The character reading the book isn't into sports, but wants tips on leadership to be better at her job. Other cast members see her with the book and go into a tiny K sidebar.
    Its kind of making her feel like the only person on earth who doesn't fully grok the mythos behind K.

As if I could enjoy this more..

Its worth the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
    Meh. I’m one half episode from finishing. I’m a big BM fan but this season is not nearly up to the standards of the previous ones. The originals STILL stick with me; they were that thought provoking. This batch has good production values and big name actors but the stories aren’t that compelling. The set ups are good, but the payoffs lacking. For example
    I thought the first one started off great but by the end it didn’t even make sense. MAJOR plot holes there. The others seemed derivative - something you could never say about the early seasons!

What did you think?
    I enjoyed it. The worst Black Mirror episode is better than 95% of other television. My favorites were the first and last episodes.

I don't have a strong feeling about what is or isn't a "real Black Mirror episode" - some folks are saying a few episodes weren't "techie" enough or didn't follow the same themes.

I like the strangeness. I like the bleakness. It's fun.