Page 99 of 164 FirstFirst ... 4989979899100101109149 ... LastLast
Results 1,961 to 1,980 of 3263
    Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    Has anyone seen Where The Crawdads Sing? The book was superb (I thought) but I hope the movie version doesn't ruin it. Not sure if I want to see it for that reason. Anyone seen it? Heard anything?
    I don’t plan on seeing it for this reason: https://www.theatlantic.com/books/ar...murder/670479/

Quote Originally Posted by dpslaw View Post
    Looking forward to Jason’s review of Nope. Very early buzz is quite good.
    I'll put out my review tomorrow... for now: https://twitter.com/JasonDukeEvans/s...96093083750400
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    Has anyone seen Where The Crawdads Sing? The book was superb (I thought) but I hope the movie version doesn't ruin it. Not sure if I want to see it for that reason. Anyone seen it? Heard anything?
    I won't rush to see it. The book was OK, but I thought it was over-hyped. And her geography is all wrong, unless what Kya calls the ocean is really the Pamlico Sound. Otherwise, it should have been set in SC or GA. And she made a trip to Asheville sound like an easy day trip, which back then would have taken ALL day. And I don't like how it ended, without really any way for the reader to have figured out whodunnit. Yes, I had my suspicions, but there was nothing there that could definitively take you to that conclusion.

Anyway, the book is always better, so I may watch it eventually.

Tehran

The first season has been around for some time, but I just started Tehran on Apple TV+ and have been totally sucked in after 3 episodes. The second season was released on May 6, 2022. Has anyone else watched this series? I'm excited to see where it goes.

Tamar is a Mossad hacker-agent who infiltrates Tehran under a false identity to help destroy Iran's nuclear reactor; when her mission fails and she's trapped in a new life, Tamar must plan an operation that will place her loved ones in jeopardy.
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I'll put out my review tomorrow... for now: https://twitter.com/JasonDukeEvans/s...96093083750400
    I went ahead and published this afternoon...

https://flixchat.blogspot.com/2022/0...iews-nope.html

Though it starts a little slow, the middle hour of Nope had my heart pounding non-stop.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Why yes, Nope is using a quote from my review in one of their ads

https://twitter.com/i/status/1550174843261177856

Kinda funny how it reads... "Jordan Peele is the king of original ideas..." NOPE

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley

Nice!

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Kinda funny how it reads... "Jordan Peele is the king of original ideas..." NOPE
    HA!
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Congrats!

The Netflix $200 million Gray Man with Ryan Gosling is a complete disaster. Whoever was in charge of that debacle should be looking for work. I have no idea what they could have been thinking

Finally watched “Everything,Everywhere, All at Once” last night and was disappointed. Maybe I had it hyped up in my mind from how everyone says how great it is. I was expecting a multiverse movie and basically what I got was a middle aged woman going through a midlife crisis who has trouble connecting with her young adult daughter. The multiverse was used mostly as a gimmick or trick. The ending also made no sense to me but can’t say more on that or it will spoil it for others. Overall, it’s a good film but not great, IMO.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    I don't often pay attention to casting unless an actor is way wrong for the part, but I will give a shout out to the excellent job in EEAO.
    Michelle Yeoh and Stephanie Hsu (I also love her in Mrs Maisel) were a perfect match. Jamie Lee Curtis was great in her various roles, nailing all of them. Ke Huy Quan (the kid from Indiana Jones!) was also a wonderful unexpected surprise.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

I just finished Season 3 of The Boys. It was heavy on social commentary of the hot topics of 2020-21 like Black Lives matter, the rise of White Supremacy movements and Trumpism, the role of Fox News, the power and problems of social media, fake news, social
    influencers, PR generated narratives, etc. It also added genre experimentation by adding animated cartoons and even a musical number. Some of this “extra” worked, but much of it came across as heavy handed and took me out of the story. The fundamental plot arc was fine albeit a bit choppy as it too frequently cut back and forth between characters and locations. The visuals and action were superb as always and the characters and acting engaging as ever.

So overall Season 3 was a mixed bag for me compared to the great storytelling of the wonderful inaugural season. It ends with quite a different supes landscape to launch season 4.

I would give it 3.5 stars out of 5. Glad I watched it but wish it had stuck more to basic story telling. Look forward to hearing the reactions of others.

Quote Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
    I just finished Season 3 of The Boys. It was heavy on social commentary of the hot topics of 2020-21 like Black Lives matter, the rise of White Supremacy movements and Trumpism, the role of Fox News, the power and problems of social media, fake news, social
    influencers, PR generated narratives, etc. It also added genre experimentation by adding animated cartoons and even a musical number. Some of this “extra” worked, but much of it came across as heavy handed and took me out of the story. The fundamental plot arc was fine albeit a bit choppy as it too frequently cut back and forth between characters and locations. The visuals and action were superb as always and the characters and acting engaging as ever.

So overall Season 3 was a mixed bag for me compared to the great storytelling of the wonderful inaugural season. It ends with quite a different supes landscape to launch season 4.

I would give it 3.5 stars out of 5. Glad I watched it but wish it had stuck more to basic story telling. Look forward to hearing the reactions of others.
    I 100% enjoyed it, but I 150% enjoyed seasons one and two. The way it ended (without spoiling anything) is why I enjoyed it 100% instead of 85%, because the lead up to the last episode wasn't nearly as engaging as has been the case in the past. However, once they got there...POW!

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    I 100% enjoyed it, but I 150% enjoyed seasons one and two. The way it ended (without spoiling anything) is why I enjoyed it 100% instead of 85%, because the lead up to the last episode wasn't nearly as engaging as has been the case in the past. However, once they got there...POW!
    You gave it extra points because of the herogasm scenes, didn’t you! 😏😆

Quote Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
    You gave it extra points because of the herogasm scenes, didn’t you! 😏😆
    Actually, after all the pre-season hype, I thought Herogasm was very tame. It WAS one of the better episodes, but more for advancing the story line than the titillation.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Actually, after all the pre-season hype, I thought Herogasm was very tame. It WAS one of the better episodes, but more for advancing the story line than the titillation.
    True - it wasn’t very titillating despite the presence of well …. t*ts. But I’m sure the staging of those bizarre scenes was a once in a lifetime hoot. Those actors/cameramen/gaffers/set designers have stories they can tell for a lifetime.

We needed a new movie to watch tonight so we finally checked out Don't Look Up.

We totally enjoyed it, even though it's maddening to watch given the state of the country. Satire can be so funny, but viciously accurate. Nothing to add that hasn't been said long ago, but it made for a well spent evening.

Watched Fatal Attraction for the first time. Yikes.

Finally got around to watching Cha Cha Real Smooth and found it a delectable hors d’oeuvre. Cooper Raiff perfectly embodies the caring joie de vivre of the lead character. Dakota Johnson was of course infectiously charming - might have as well said “the sun rises in the East and sets in the West”, right?

On Apple TV and a very worthwhile investment of 110 minutes imo.