Page 97 of 165 FirstFirst ... 47879596979899107147 ... LastLast
Results 1,921 to 1,940 of 3288
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    It’s funny to check out that thread and discover the posters that love to cuss!
    Whole lotta wankerin', but justified!

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    I just finished watching season 2 of Star Trek: Picard last night.

Man that show is so good.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Pixar's new film, Lightyear is... fine. But not much better than fine.

Here is my 100-word review: https://flixchat.blogspot.com/2022/0...lightyear.html

More of a sci-fi adventure than an emotional story with lessons about the human condition...
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Pixar's new film, Lightyear is... fine. But not much better than fine.

Here is my 100-word review: https://flixchat.blogspot.com/2022/0...lightyear.html

Hearing that Lightyear is getting an A- Cinemascore, which is not bad. Audiences like it better than critics did. Still, a very poor boxoffice performance for a touted Pixar film. Unless word of mouth is strong, this flick is going to be one of the losers of summer.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Hearing that Lightyear is getting an A- Cinemascore, which is not bad. Audiences like it better than critics did. Still, a very poor boxoffice performance for a touted Pixar film. Unless word of mouth is strong, this flick is going to be one of the losers of summer.
    It will be fun to watch on my backyard movie theater once it hits Disney + sooner than expected.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Very late to the party but I was just on a plane and tried to watch Licorice Pizza based on all of the positive buzz it received here and elsewhere. I made it through 30 minutes and shut it off. What an odd movie. I thought it would be right up my alley and I hated it - I kept trying and waited and waited and gave up. I felt like I started watching in the middle of the movie and had missed something.

I switched to Crazy Rich Asians and that was much more my speed. Some might call me simplistic but I like what I like.

I just watched the Martha Mitchell documentary on Netflix. Her early DC schtick was over the top but man they did her dirty.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Very late to the party but I was just on a plane and tried to watch Licorice Pizza based on all of the positive buzz it received here and elsewhere. I made it through 30 minutes and shut it off. What an odd movie. I thought it would be right up my alley and I hated it - I kept trying and waited and waited and gave up. I felt like I started watching in the middle of the movie and had missed something.

I switched to Crazy Rich Asians and that was much more my speed. Some might call me simplistic but I like what I like.
    Same here, CNC. Watched all of it on my way to a firm technical symposium in LV. OK, but not my thing. Characters not likable, plot all over the place.

Quote Originally Posted by duke74 View Post
    Same here, CNC. Watched all of it on my way to a firm technical symposium in LV. OK, but not my thing. Characters not likable, plot all over the place.
    I think we have similar taste - I'm also a rom-communist. I generally prefer lighter movies with likeable characters straight-forward plots. Though interestingly, I recall generally liking Boogie Nights which was by the same director and had a somewhat similar feel to it.

I am hoping to finally see Top Gun later this week.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post

I am hoping to finally see Top Gun later this week.
    Just saw it for the second time, first time for my sister. Still good on the 2nd viewing. See it on the biggest screen you can, it was awesome on Imax.

Just started the Old Man which is very good so far.

Quote Originally Posted by acdevil View Post
    I Sea.

Anyone been watching or watched We Own This City on HBO? We're 4/6 through it and pretty hooked. It's based on a Baltimore Sun reporter's non-fiction account of the rise and corrupt fall of the city policy gun task force. David Simon (The Wire) is producing and the show not surprisingly does a really great job telling a very complicated political and socioeconomic story with nuance. Show also features a number of familiar actors from The Wire.

Highly recommend.

This may have been covered up thread, but if you haven’t seen Top Gun: Maverick yet, you probably should go see it. I think all would enjoy it. I took my wife last night to see it and we were both extremely impressed. We don’t go to movies often and this was the first movie we watched inside a theatre since before the pandemic started. It was an incredible production. 10/10 recommend!

Yep very good so far.

I also enjoyed The Bear - a limited series on Hulu.

Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    I also enjoyed The Bear - a limited series on Hulu.
    We started watching it yesterday. We didn't make it to the end of the first episode. I'll likely pick it up again at some point on my own, but it's billed as a comedy, and all it was to us was a bunch of people loudly yelling at each other, and I never laughed once.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Anyone been watching or watched We Own This City on HBO? We're 4/6 through it and pretty hooked. It's based on a Baltimore Sun reporter's non-fiction account of the rise and corrupt fall of the city policy gun task force. David Simon (The Wire) is producing and the show not surprisingly does a really great job telling a very complicated political and socioeconomic story with nuance. Show also features a number of familiar actors from The Wire.

Highly recommend.
    Finished it this evening. Wonderful, complex, nuanced storytelling and social commentary.

i really enjoyed it also. can't wait for thursday night!!

Looking forward to Jason Evans' thoughts on new Thor.

I finally watched "Maverick", and in a theater for the first time in a good long while. I enjoyed it, although I don't think it was wildly great, and not better than the original. It had a few too many forced callbacks for my taste, but I liked the character extensions. I also find interesting that every single time Maverick knowingly breaks a rule, he gets a whole lot of help doing so, then seems to be the only one who ends up on the hot seat for it. And of course it is a given that his rule-breaking never actually bites him in the...well, you know. Just a hair too much conscious suspension of disbelief was required in the film for me, but that seems to be a general cinema trend in the modern era, so consider this your old fogy warning. And though I don't think I'd pay theater prices twice for it, I don't regret one bit seeing it once on the big screen. Visually stunning.