Page 9 of 164 FirstFirst ... 78910111959109 ... LastLast
    And same time period — the first appearance of Reverend Jim on Taxi:

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    I watch that episode every Thanksgiving.

Unfortunately, WKRP never secured the rights to the music on the original shows so the syndication episodes all have generic music put in later.* But still, one of the greatest shows of my childhood.

(And I’m still in love with Loni Anderson, despite her mishaps after leaving the show.)

* From Wikipedia entry on WKRP:
    When I decided I wanted to watch, I did my research! I had to go on ebay (1/2 the $ of Amazon) to get the 2014 Shout! DVD releases -

From the same wiki -
    "20th Century Fox Home Entertainment released the first season of WKRP on DVD in Region 1 in April 2007. However, due to heavy music replacement, sales of the set were poor, and Fox released no further seasons. In May 2014, Shout! Factory acquired rights to the series for DVD release.[30] Shout! had planned to include all of the copyrighted music that originally aired on the show,[31] but was only able to obtain rights for 111 of the original musical artists. A disclaimer later stated, "In a few cases, it was simply impossible to get the rights."[32] Fans of the show compiled lists documenting that the re-release featured approximately 85% of the series' original soundtrack. Along with this, almost all of the re-dubs done for the 1990s syndication airings were removed and the original dialogue was restored."

85% of the music rights was probably about the best anyone could hope for in this day and age. I mean, they had to balance their projected sales vs. how much they were willing to invest in the music. I'm more than pleased with the efforts on the Shout! DVDs, especially that they went back and "un-dubbed" the re-dubs. I'm not even through the first season but so far, so good!
    "That young man has an extra step on his ladder the rest of us just don't have."

We've been re-watching Succession. So well written. Is there a Succession thread here somewhere? I vaguely remember it, but searching DBR on mobile is less than ideal.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    We've been re-watching Succession. So well written. Is there a Succession thread here somewhere? I vaguely remember it, but searching DBR on mobile is less than ideal.
    The family is actually watching Succession for the first time right now. We are on Ep 3 of season 2. Really great show!! I just know Logan is going to screw over Shiv now that Shiv gave up CHIEF OF STAFF!! just to run the family biz.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by ncexnyc View Post
    Just finished up 11.22.63, on Hulu. Definitely a solid mini-series and something I'd recommend if you've got a day to kill.
    This is probably one of the best recommendations I've gotten in a long time. I'm loving it so far (not quite through the first episode yet).

Quote Originally Posted by Nrrrrvous View Post
    When I decided I wanted to watch, I did my research! I had to go on ebay (1/2 the $ of Amazon) to get the 2014 Shout! DVD releases -

From the same wiki -
    "20th Century Fox Home Entertainment released the first season of WKRP on DVD in Region 1 in April 2007. However, due to heavy music replacement, sales of the set were poor, and Fox released no further seasons. In May 2014, Shout! Factory acquired rights to the series for DVD release.[30] Shout! had planned to include all of the copyrighted music that originally aired on the show,[31] but was only able to obtain rights for 111 of the original musical artists. A disclaimer later stated, "In a few cases, it was simply impossible to get the rights."[32] Fans of the show compiled lists documenting that the re-release featured approximately 85% of the series' original soundtrack. Along with this, almost all of the re-dubs done for the 1990s syndication airings were removed and the original dialogue was restored."

85% of the music rights was probably about the best anyone could hope for in this day and age. I mean, they had to balance their projected sales vs. how much they were willing to invest in the music. I'm more than pleased with the efforts on the Shout! DVDs, especially that they went back and "un-dubbed" the re-dubs. I'm not even through the first season but so far, so good!
    Excellent! Worth searching for, I need to do the same.

Just finished up 11.22.63, on Hulu. Definitely a solid mini-series and something I'd recommend if you've got a day to kill.

Warrior Nun starts on Netflix tomorrow. For those of you who aren't aware of this show, it's based on the Areala Warrior Nun comic books.
    Time to watch Independance Day!

Starts at 10:00 pm (Eastern) on AMC, or you can stream it on the AMC website if you have a TV login (Spectrum, DirectTV, etc).

Just watched Hamilton with MrsPK. Very impressive.

Finally watched and finished The Irishman. Though I started it on Thursday.

Quote Originally Posted by PSurprise View Post
    Finally watched and finished The Irishman. Though I started it on Thursday.
    I can't tell if this is a movie runtime joke, or if you really just watched it over a few days.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Just watched Hamilton with MrsPK. Very impressive.
    We also watched Hamilton - paid the $7 to get Disney Plus specifically to see it. Mrs. Crazy and I saw it on Broadway a few years ago (not the original cast). I watched it with my older child, who had never seen it. Very well done - I picked up on a lot of things I didn't notice the first time. He also really liked it. He made the wise suggestion to watch with subtitles - I thought it might be distracting, but it made it a lot easier to follow and digest the lyrics.

Warrior Nun starts on Netflix tomorrow. For those of you who aren't aware of this show, it's based on the Areala Warrior Nun comic books.
    Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    This is probably one of the best recommendations I've gotten in a long time. I'm loving it so far (not quite through the first episode yet).
    Well, after finishing the series I still think it was a good watch, but I'm not quite as enthusiastic about it as I was in the beginning. Felt like it kind of lulled a little after the first 3 episodes or so and never really picked back up until maybe the last episode.

Separately, I just finished watching Castle Rock, which I thought was both very good and pretty unsatisfying (although I guess that is kind of Stephen King's whole deal).

Upload

Anybody watching Upload on Amazon Prime? I've found it good so far. It's a sci/fi, comedy/drama where people "upload" themselves to an afterlife of their choosing after their death assuming they make the right payments...It's commercial in nature and all VR driven. Some interesting social commentary in it as well. As well as how relationships change when physical touch is removed (people who have been "uploaded" still have relationships with people who are still alive). It has an 87% rating on RT and 8.1/10 on IMDB. It's a Greg Daniels creation.

Netflix new action flick, The Old Guard is a blatant attempt to set up Charlize Theron in a multi-film franchise... and I am perfectly fine with that!

Read my 100-word-review: https://flixchat.blogspot.com/2020/0...old-guard.html

Theron is great at creating bad-*** characters who are also emotional. The action scenes are top-notch and the cast keeps us engaged, even if the plot is mostly formulaic.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Netflix new action flick, The Old Guard is a blatant attempt to set up Charlize Theron in a multi-film franchise... and I am perfectly fine with that!
    That gives me am opening to pump my favorite thing in media these days — Hot Ones:

LANGUAGE WARNING!!!!!

I am so mad that I did not come up with the idea for this show. So simple, so different, so entertaining.

The Gentlemen is the most entertaining film I've seen in the past year, at least. Watched it twice, which I never do.

Never understood why Booksmart never got any love on this board, since we tend to be kinda geeky. Really enjoyable movie I think many would relate to.

But my real revelation is Line of Duty from the BBC. Discovered it about a month ago, six episodes per season, and made the mistake of starting the 3rd episode of the 1st season about 10:30 one night and was up until 3:00 to finish the season. Haven't made that mistake again. Right up there with Breaking Bad.

There was only one flaw I found, PM me if you're a fan of the show and want to discuss.

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    The Gentlemen is the most entertaining film I've seen in the past year, at least. Watched it twice, which I never do.

Never understood why Booksmart never got any love on this board, since we tend to be kinda geeky. Really enjoyable movie I think many would relate to.

But my real revelation is Line of Duty from the BBC. Discovered it about a month ago, six episodes per season, and made the mistake of starting the 3rd episode of the 1st season about 10:30 one night and was up until 3:00 to finish the season. Haven't made that mistake again. Right up there with Breaking Bad.

There was only one flaw I found, PM me if you're a fan of the show and want to discuss.
    I decided to try the BBC Line of Duty and the first episode is great, really pulls you in quickly. But I’m watching it on demand on DirectTv and the ads are driving me crazy. Every few minutes get a block of 5 and they completely kill the rhythm. Anyone know a way to watch this ad-free? Or at least with minimal ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
    I decided to try the BBC Line of Duty and the first episode is great, really pulls you in quickly. But I’m watching it on demand on DirectTv and the ads are driving me crazy. Every few minutes get a block of 5 and they completely kill the rhythm. Anyone know a way to watch this ad-free? Or at least with minimal ads?
    Hang in, it gets even better. I get mine at the local library. Guess I'm old school. Very.

Quote Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
    It's on BritBox, which I assume is available in the US. Well worth the small monthly cost with lots of British drama and comedy. Try the free trial.

I recommended Line of Duty earlier. The seasons 1-4 are on Amazon. S5 is on Acorn.On Britbox am watching Sherlock Holmes , Death in Paradise and Poirot.