Page 78 of 165 FirstFirst ... 2868767778798088128 ... LastLast
Results 1,541 to 1,560 of 3288
    I never thought the PP topic that would shut down DBR would be “when does a century start”?!?’ This is some red and blue level discord. 😂

Undeterred by the debate raging around me about 1 versus 0...

Here is my 100-word review of Being the Ricardos... a film in which Nicole Kidman is forced to operate behind a mask of facial prosthetics and in which she just cannot capture the heart or humor of Lucile Ball.

https://flixchat.blogspot.com/2021/1...ews-being.html

Everything-We-Know-So-Far-About-Being-the-Ricardos-Starring-Nicole-Kidman-001.jpg
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post

Here is my 100-word review of Being the Ricardos... a film in which Nicole Kidman is forced to operate behind a mask of facial prosthetics and in which she just cannot capture the heart or humor of Lucile Ball.

Everything-We-Know-So-Far-About-Being-the-Ricardos-Starring-Nicole-Kidman-001.jpg
    I’m surprised anyone ever thought she could. I love Kidman as an actress but this just seems like one of the worst casting decisions ever.

Cumberbatch was great in Power of the Dog and yet I didn't quite buy him as a cowpoke...even though he was a Yale educated cowpoke. Nice movie...

I'm really curious what you thought of Javier Berdem as Desi Arnaz. Try as I might, I can't really picture that bit of casting, either. I can totally see J.K. Simmons as William Frawley, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    I'm really curious what you thought of Javier Berdem as Desi Arnaz. Try as I might, I can't really picture that bit of casting, either. I can totally see J.K. Simmons as William Frawley, though.
    Bardem was fine. He's at least Hispanic so he has an authentic accent. Here's the thing, Desi wasn't nearly as iconic or singularly recognizable as Lucy. He was a production genius, and the film does discuss that for a bit, but he was not the star and is not the lasting image that Lucy is. So, if he is a bit off the mark, it does not stick out the way it does with Kidman.

JK Simmons is fabulous. So is Nina Arianda as Vivian Vance. Alina Shawkat from Arrested Development also has a great supporting turn in this film. Many of my critic films have said that they would have loved to have watched a film about Frawley and Vance with Simmons and Arianda as leads.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Cumberbatch was great in Power of the Dog and yet I didn't quite buy him as a cowpoke...even though he was a Yale educated cowpoke. Nice movie...
    I bought him. Kind of movie that you think about and discuss the next morning. Not an easy movie, but one I will think about.

Beautiful cinematography, great performances. Worth investing the time in.

Quote Originally Posted by accfanfrom1970 View Post
    I bought him. Kind of movie that you think about and discuss the next morning. Not an easy movie, but one I will think about.

Beautiful cinematography, great performances. Worth investing the time in.
    Here's my review from a month ago -- https://flixchat.blogspot.com/2021/1...-power-of.html

I voted Power of the Dog as my #2 movie of the year. BC was my best actor, Campion best director, and I picked it for best cinematography. I know all of you right now are watching it on Netflix, but please, please, please watch this on as big a screen as you can with the lights turned out so you can let the images wash over you. A stunning cinema-magic experience!

It is that time of year and the reviews are coming fast and furious...

Next up is Adam McKay's latest social commentary, Don't Look Up. I loved The Big Short and thought Vice was really clever and revealing. In both of those films, McKay really had something to say. This time, he tackles climate change and our toxic media environment and he doesn't have anything to say that isn't totally obvious. Here is my 100-word review: https://flixchat.blogspot.com/2021/1...dont-look.html

None of the characters are realistic and many seem to think shrieking their lines makes for a more powerful performance.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    It is that time of year and the reviews are coming fast and furious...

Next up is Adam McKay's latest social commentary, Don't Look Up. I loved The Big Short and thought Vice was really clever and revealing. In both of those films, McKay really had something to say. This time, he tackles climate change and our toxic media environment and he doesn't have anything to say that isn't totally obvious. Here is my 100-word review: https://flixchat.blogspot.com/2021/1...dont-look.html
    I'm sure I'll still watch it when it streams, I love end of the world movies. This is an interesting article; it focuses on the NASA science advisor for the movie, and what she brought to the writer's table.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/don-...112807126.html
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    I'm sure I'll still watch it when it streams, I love end of the world movies.
    I mean, watching it on Netflix for free is fine. Like I said in my review, it does have some funny parts. But in terms of McKay having anything really interesting to say about science, politics, and social media... nope.

Not sure if this has been posted to the thread (apologies if so), but speaking of Adam McKay this upcoming show on the 70s/80s Lakers looks amazing:

However the collateral damage seems to be that this project destroyed the Adam McKay/Will Ferrell friendship, which is very sad to see after such a long and successful run together.

For the folks excited about Moonfall...

Here are the first five minutes of that film. Frankly, it doesn't look all that interesting to me.

Only Murders in the Building

I think I'm a little late to the party so sorry if I missed earlier discussion, but I just binged Only Murders in the Building. The building it is based on is a few blocks from where I live and I walk past it almost every day (the CVS pharmacy I go to is in the building), so that made it even more fun. But regardless, it is a great show - very quirky but a lot of fun.

It is a good show to binge as it makes it easier to keep track of all of the plot twists. There are many fun cameos. I highly recommend it and happy to discuss privately with anyone else who watched and enjoyed.

Jason - don’t know if I missed it, but have you posted any thoughts on the new Spider-Man?

Quote Originally Posted by acdevil View Post
    Jason - don’t know if I missed it, but have you posted any thoughts on the new Spider-Man?
    You did not miss it. I have not seen it yet. I really hurt my back the other day and getting to the screening, let alone sitting there for close to three hours, was not going to be easy. When my sons begged me to watch it with them, I decided to bag on the screening and go see it in theaters when I am feeling better.

Sorry!

You did not miss it. I have not seen it yet. I really hurt my back the other day and getting to the screening, let alone sitting there for close to three hours, was not going to be easy. When my sons begged me to watch it with them, I decided to bag on the screening and go see it in theaters when I am feeling better.

Sorry!
    No worries. I’m trying to figure out how to avoid spoilers long enough for it to come to Disney+. Still not ready to go to a theater.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley

Sorry!
    Eek..get better quick. Hoping it's muscular and not a disk; that's the worst.
    As far as Spidey goes, the critics that have seen it seem to think it's lots of fun.

https://editorial.rottentomatoes.com...first-reviews/
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Sorry!
    If you don’t say during a recording, “Yeah, I hurt my back carrying this podcast” then this opportunity will have been wasted.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    I think I'm a little late to the party so sorry if I missed earlier discussion, but I just binged Only Murders in the Building. The building it is based on is a few blocks from where I live and I walk past it almost every day (the CVS pharmacy I go to is in the building), so that made it even more fun. But regardless, it is a great show - very quirky but a lot of fun.

It is a good show to binge as it makes it easier to keep track of all of the plot twists. There are many fun cameos. I highly recommend it and happy to discuss privately with anyone else who watched and enjoyed.
    That show felt VERY Upper West Side; I enjoyed it