Page 67 of 164 FirstFirst ... 1757656667686977117 ... LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,340 of 3263
    I squeezed in the latest Ted Lasso this morning between school dropoff and my 10 am work zoom. So good. So much to digest. It got a little dusty as well.

I had a very close friend (she introduced me to my wife) who had the exact same taste in TV as me - neither of us watched a lot but when we did, we would get really into shows and have similar takes on them. We would have marathon e-mail discussions after each episode of a show (like How I Met Your Mother). She unfortunately died very suddenly of breast cancer a few years ago in her early 40s and I keep thinking about how much she would have loved Ted Lasso and the discussions we would have had.

I know a lot of critics are just savaging Dear Evan Hansen, but it held my interest and I thought it wasn't that bad. Here is my 100-word review: https://flixchat.blogspot.com/2021/0...dear-evan.html

Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by acdevil View Post
    Just finished my two week binge of Breaking Bad.

Absolutely fantastic all the way through including a satisfying ending to the show.
    Glad you liked it, one of my all-time favorites.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Glad you liked it, one of my all-time favorites.
    OPK, where are you in GoTs? How do you like it? Anything that surprised you so far?
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    I squeezed in the latest Ted Lasso this morning between school dropoff and my 10 am work zoom. So good. So much to digest. It got a little dusty as well.

I had a very close friend (she introduced me to my wife) who had the exact same taste in TV as me - neither of us watched a lot but when we did, we would get really into shows and have similar takes on them. We would have marathon e-mail discussions after each episode of a show (like How I Met Your Mother). She unfortunately died very suddenly of breast cancer a few years ago in her early 40s and I keep thinking about how much she would have loved Ted Lasso and the discussions we would have had.
    Loved this one...but also felt it. (No spoilers meant)

Wish I know how to do that hidden spoiler thing. A couple of observations I had that I can't type out.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I know a lot of critics are just savaging Dear Evan Hansen, but it held my interest and I thought it wasn't that bad. Here is my 100-word review: https://flixchat.blogspot.com/2021/0...dear-evan.html

Many of my friends just loved it on Bway.

https://www.latimes.com/entertainmen...ges-stage-show

LA Times piece with a negative view of thematic changes they made in the movie vs. the stage show

Quote Originally Posted by duke74 View Post
    Many of my friends just loved it on Bway.
    I saw the stage show and had a very strong negative reaction to it. Frankly, I thought the main character's actions were reprehensible and that the show completely lets him off the hook for them. David Sims' observation (expressed in this review), rang true to me, except that I got the skin-crawling feel in the (non-movie) theater

The writers want the audience to stay on Evan’s side, but I’ve always found it hard. Certainly it was easier to do while watching the stage production, where the emotional arc of the storytelling comes primarily through songs that overrule moral logic, and the characters being deceived are much smaller figures. But on the big screen, the story’s central lie feels fairly skin-crawling.
    It's the only play I've ever seen that I didn't clap for at the end - really, it just made me angry.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    I saw the stage show and had a very strong negative reaction to it. Frankly, I thought the main character's actions were reprehensible and that the show completely lets him off the hook for them. David Sims' observation (expressed in this review), rang true to me, except that I got the skin-crawling feel in the (non-movie) theater

It's the only play I've ever seen that I didn't clap for at the end - really, it just made me angry.
    Yeah, as I said I was kinder than most critics but my review begins with:

Though uneven, frustrating, and jarring at times, Dear Evan Hansen still held my attention throughout as I tried to figure out how this trainwreck of a situation would resolve itself.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Great episode, and sorry for your loss. I can see how both would be top of mind today.

And — Jason Sudeikis is a really really good actor. Same is true for Hannah Waddingham.

(and I, too, hate dress shoes).

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Great episode, and sorry for your loss. I can see how both would be top of mind today.

And — Jason Sudeikis is a really really good actor. Same is true for Hannah Waddingham.

(and I, too, hate dress shoes).
    Can't spork you.

I wore dress shoes for the first time in over a year earlier this summer and threw out my back - I was walking around like Dani. I returned to work last week and have been wearing more casual loafers - to heck with fashion - at least they're not trainers or slippers.

The back and forth scene with Ted and Rebecca was truly incredible. The show is based on him being a lovable goofball but he has shown so much range.

And just for posterity, I will add to the 1 billion plus views...

(I never noticed what a truly horrible dancer Rick Astley is)

The (thankfully) fast-paced Venom: Let There Be Carnage is exactly the film Venom fans want it to be. That may not make it perfect for wider audiences, but if you liked the first, you are certainly going to enjoy the second. Here is my #100WordReview -- https://flixchat.blogspot.com/2021/0...venom-let.html

Director Andy Serkis never lets up on the gas pedal in a film that clocks in at less than 90 minutes, which is good because a lot of this stuff is just ridiculous if you bother to think about it.
    -Jason "warning: you will be quite sorry if you skip the post-credit scene!!!" Evans

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    but if you liked the first, you are certainly going to enjoy the second.
    That is the exactly the overall review that I've been reading today. (Doesn't mean I'll be seeing it in the theater, I won't, but I thought the first one was fun and will be looking forward to streaming it.)
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

A series of posts over the past couple hours that... well... serve to accidentally ruin a prominent film have been removed. Nothing more need be said about it. I am sure all who read the posts understand. If anyone has a problem with this, please PM me.

A series of posts over the past couple hours that... well... serve to accidentally ruin a prominent film have been removed. Nothing more need be said about it. I am sure all who read the posts understand. If anyone has a problem with this, please PM me.
    Thanks, Jason.

The producers behind Ted Lasso have struck a deal with the English Premier League to use PL archive footage, logos, uniforms, and even the league trophy. The EPL is being paid 500,000 pounds for the rights to this stuff. It should make it much easier for the producers to integrate real soccer stuff into the show.

https://theathletic.com/news/ted-las...ampaign=601983

Apologies if this has been discussed but I streamed The Many Saints of Newark over the weekend and was underwhelmed to say the least. To me it felt like watching a very subpar episode of the show. I loved the series but to me the movie just kind of meandered about and in the grand scheme of things could be omitted. Maybe it was just me but I felt really let down by it. Anyone else seen it?
    "The future ain't what it used to be."

Quote Originally Posted by DUKIECB View Post
    Apologies if this has been discussed but I streamed The Many Saints of Newark over the weekend and was underwhelmed to say the least. To me it felt like watching a very subpar episode of the show. I loved the series but to me the movie just kind of meandered about and in the grand scheme of things could be omitted. Maybe it was just me but I felt really let down by it. Anyone else seen it?
    I concur with this 100%. The show would often meander around but we were more connected to the characters and engaged in their stories. This was just all over the place with characters we did not care about. When you are making 12+hours of story over the course of a TV season, you can take your time and develop multiple story threads. That really doesn't work well in a 2-hour movie.

And I actually found the constant call-backs to TV show stuff to be distracting with none of it serving the plot. When baby Christopher cries at the sight of Tony and the old lady says, "babies know things" I rolled my eyes so much they almost feel out of my head.

All that said, Cory Stoll nailed Uncle Junior in a big way. Totally felt like I was watching a young version of that character. And I thought the young Gandolfini was strong too.

(I never noticed what a truly horrible dancer Rick Astley is)
    I wonder if he's dancing all the way to the bank with all those views.

Quote Originally Posted by cspan37421 View Post
    I wonder if he's dancing all the way to the bank with all those views.
    So I got Rick rolled recently and I noticed that there was no ad prior to the video. Like everyone, I closed it immediately. Maybe I’m missing something but how can he monetize it with no advertisements? He’s probably cleaning up on Cameo tho.