Page 60 of 165 FirstFirst ... 1050585960616270110160 ... LastLast
Results 1,181 to 1,200 of 3288
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Dissent!!

Spoiler!
    I have to agree with Jason here. I’ve felt like I’m the only person in the world that didn’t like White Lotus. Jason’s critiques hit the nail on the head for me.

In addition:

Spoiler!

Befuddling to me how one can enjoy the pointless Blow 'Em Up epics and not like White Lotus...for some reason I enjoy watching human being more than CGI.

We started watching “Kevin Can F**k Himself.” It’s pretty good and remarkably unique (never seen anything like this). Non spoiler warning - we almost turned it off after the first 5 minutes. Keep watching past that - until the first scene where the star is alone by herself.

It’s set in Worcester, MA and the accents are pretty believable (and not over the top).

Strongly recommend this show.

Reminiscence

Lisa Joy gets how to put interesting visuals on screen and she shows a lot of promise as a filmmaker... but her first movie, Reminiscence, is just too plodding through the middle third to be great sci-fi. Here is my 100-word review: https://flixchat.blogspot.com/2021/0...d-reviews.html

From writer/director Lisa Joy (HBO’s Westworld), Reminiscence is set in a future where climate change has caused the oceans to rise, leaving the rich living on dry ground and the poor up to their knees in water all the time.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by acdevil View Post
    I have to agree with Jason here. I’ve felt like I’m the only person in the world that didn’t like White Lotus. Jason’s critiques hit the nail on the head for me.
    I want to be clear, I did not dislike White Lotus. I watched the whole thing and found the aesthetics, acting, and characters to be really interesting... even if it was tough to find anyone to root for. I was right there with the whole thing right up until they started wrapping up everybody's storylines and then I started screaming, "whaaaat?!?!!" at the screen quite often.

It was daring filmmaking that did not take shortcuts or make obvious choices. I appreciate that tremendously and did not need a pat, easy to digest ending. I did, however, need an ending that made sense with what we had seen from the characters so far (especially Rachel).

Lastly, I am dying to see how they shot the... uhhhhh... "gift" that Armond left in Shane's suitcase. That sure looked like the real thing happening on camera. I'm sure it was some kind of prop or camera trick but I was still howling!!
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Befuddling to me how one can enjoy the pointless Blow 'Em Up epics and not like White Lotus...for some reason I enjoy watching human being more than CGI.
    Then do not see Shang Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings!!!

Review coming next week... it won't be good (also won't be awful).

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Dissent!!

Spoiler!
    Disagree (except about Quinn). One of the show’s main themes was about the different ways privilege and status manifest— and how many of us compromise who we think we are to hold onto it. Rachel’s decision was 100% on theme and, at least for me, they dropped enough hints along the way that she was not the person she thought she was becoming.

Quote Originally Posted by Udaman View Post
    It’s set in Worcester, MA and the accents are pretty believable (and not over the top).
    Wicked awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Udaman View Post
    We started watching “Kevin Can F**k Himself.” It’s pretty good and remarkably unique (never seen anything like this). Non spoiler warning - we almost turned it off after the first 5 minutes. Keep watching past that - until the first scene where the star is alone by herself.

Strongly recommend this show.
    As opposed to Julianne Moore (who I adore) on 30 Rock? Worst Boston accent ever.

Loving Ted Lasso more each episode. Last week paid homage to “Love Actually”…this week to “Notting Hill” - twice. My two favorite movies. (Yes, I’m a RomCom guy.)

Quote Originally Posted by duke74 View Post
    Loving Ted Lasso more each episode. Last week paid homage to “Love Actually”…this week to “Notting Hill” - twice. My two favorite movies. (Yes, I’m a RomCom guy.)
    So — you believe in Rom-Communism too?

Great new episode.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    So — you believe in Rom-Communism too?

Great new episode.
    Never. 😉

I love Ted Lasso so much! They somehow took a joke commercial character and “major league with soccer” and turned it into a funny and heartwarming show with a long list of amazing characters. And they constantly pull off very cheesy ideas like a tribute to Rom Coms but they somehow make it work. My slight worry this:

Spoiler!

Quote Originally Posted by mkirsh View Post
    I love Ted Lasso so much! They somehow took a joke commercial character and “major league with soccer” and turned it into a funny and heartwarming show with a long list of amazing characters. And they constantly pull off very cheesy ideas like a tribute to Rom Coms but they somehow make it work. My slight worry this:

Spoiler!
    Agreed. My guess:

Spoiler!

BTW, if you have Peacock, Crystal Palace is on right now hosting Brenford.

Crystal Palace’s home stadium (Selhurst Park) is Richmond’s “Dog Track” in TL.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    BTW, if you have Peacock, Crystal Palace is on right now hosting Brenford.

Crystal Palace’s home stadium (Selhurst Park) is Richmond’s “Dog Track” in TL.
    I sure wish NBC would stop putting more than half the games behind a paywall. It makes it hard to be a fan. I'm happy to watch the pre-game and the halftimes to give them ad revenue the old-fashioned way. But I can't subscribe to yet another unique service to get just a single benefit.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    Don't know if this one has been covered, but watched a 1 hour and 18 minute movie on HBO Max last night called Shiva Baby. The whole thing takes place at a shiva, which is a Jewish mourning ritual. It is a comedy, but really it is so excruciating and so claustrophobic that it has to be seen to be believed. More like a combination of a comedy and a horror film. OMG. You don't have to be Jewish to appreciate just how painful the experience of the young lady in the middle of this story is, but some of the humor may resonate more with those familiar with these kinds of family members and friends. But everyone will feel the pain and appreciate the story -- just watch it and be prepared to either exhale or scream when it's done.
    I appreciated what Shiva Baby was trying to do and I found it occasionally amusing. But the protagonist was so lacking in any discernible redeeming characteristics (not the profession - but her choice of an unappealing narcissist shallow worm and to continue after the situation and who was being hurt became viscerally clear) that it dampened the discomfort the piece was creating. I get that she was acting out but still. Same plot with flawed leads but with just a touch of self-awareness and I think I would have happily squirmed along with them. As it was I was just pulling for both of them to befall a nasty accident.

Mrs Lotus and I just finished “Frank of Ireland” S1 and we were both surprised at how much we enjoyed it and how much we laughed each episode. I would describe it as an Irish “Dumb and Dumber” except neither of us liked those movies or Jim Carrey’s brand of humor. It’s a silly show that made me belly laugh every episode. Give it a try if you’re looking for a comedy. You’ll know after one episode if it’s for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
    I appreciated what Shiva Baby was trying to do and I found it occasionally amusing. But the protagonist was so lacking in any discernible redeeming characteristics (not the profession - but her choice of an unappealing narcissist shallow worm and to continue after the situation and who was being hurt became viscerally clear) that it dampened the discomfort the piece was creating. I get that she was acting out but still. Same plot with flawed leads but with just a touch of self-awareness and I think I would have happily squirmed along with them. As it was I was just pulling for both of them to befall a nasty accident.
    Watched about a half. Hated it and her. Genug!

Notting Hill is my favourite movie!!!
    Kyle gets BUCKETS!
    https://youtu.be/NJWPASQZqLc