Page 6 of 164 FirstFirst ... 456781656106 ... LastLast

Just Mercy

Free this month on many platforms and worth watching. Well acted and certainly worth watching.

I gotta give high praise to Warner for making this available at this time.

SoCal

I just watched Gone Girl for the first time, and holy crap what did I just see?

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    I just watched Gone Girl for the first time, and holy crap what did I just see?
    Welcome to 2014.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Welcome to 2014.
    And in the Quarantine Gaming thread I'm talked earlier about finally playing a game that came out in 1997. I'm catching up, slowly but surely. Is it impressive that I managed to stay totally unspoiled for Gone Girl that whole time? I didn't even know what it was about, other than that a woman disappeared.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDukeFan View Post
    Free this month on many platforms and worth watching. Well acted and certainly worth watching.

I gotta give high praise to Warner for making this available at this time.

SoCal
    +1. Just watched it on Amazon.Also Selma is a free rental on Amazon. It is an even better movie.

In light of recent events I would like to reccomend some wonderful movies to pair with them.

When They See US
    13th

and tangentially related Inequality for All
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" -Stephen Hawking

watched the Lance Armstrong 30-for-30. Amazing that he won the Tour 7x in a row when most everyone else seems to have been cheating also and yet my main takeaway was "what a jack-hole."

Very disappointed that in 4 hours they never asked "how did you beat the tests?"

Do agree that his personal failings don't obscure the great work Livestrong has done.

Quote Originally Posted by Nugget View Post
    watched the Lance Armstrong 30-for-30. Amazing that he won the Tour 7x in a row when most everyone else seems to have been cheating also and yet my main takeaway was "what a jack-hole."

Very disappointed that in 4 hours they never asked "how did you beat the tests?"

Do agree that his personal failings don't obscure the great work Livestrong has done.
    Agree, particularly with the bolded.

I think beating the tests (which evidently most riders did) was courtesy of the work of Dr. Ferrari, who always seemed to be a step ahead...

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    I think beating the tests (which evidently most riders did) was courtesy of the work of Dr. Ferrari, who always seemed to be a step ahead...
    What? The COVID-19 expert? Why is no one talking about this??

/kidding

I hope this is true. Space Force the TV show secured the trademarked to Space Force before the U.S. Space Force could.

Here's my review of the new Judd Apatow and Pete Davidson film coming out this weekend, The King of Staten Island.

http://flixchat.blogspot.com/2020/06...s-king-of.html

I really felt the weight of the overlong 136 minute run time in the first half of the picture. Davidson has acting chops and an inherent chart, but I found Scott (the main character) tough to root for. He's just not likable.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Here's my review of the new Judd Apatow and Pete Davidson film coming out this weekend, The King of Staten Island.

http://flixchat.blogspot.com/2020/06...s-king-of.html
    Josh and I recorded a podcast on The King of Staten Island. Enjoy: https://flixchat.blogspot.com/2020/0...t-king-of.html

Anyone watch White Lines on Netflix? Wife and I just wrapped it up. About a group of friends that move from Manchester to Ibiza when they're young to live the life, build their party empire. The leader of the pack dies and his sister comes back two decades on to try and find out what happened to him.

It's not bad, a little heavy handed at times but several of the characters, like Boxer and the Romanians, are engaging. I've been to the Balearic coast in Spain but not to the islands in the sea. It's a beautiful setting for a show. Heard and read enough about Ibiza to know it somehow is both a sexier and trashier party location than American spring break hotpots. They capture that well.

We had fun.

We've been watching some topical movies: Pass Over on Prime is Godot-like, 13th on NF is powerful and depressing. Did a Bourne marathon. Third True Detective was good. Gave Money Heist a pass. (I thought it was four "parts" but it's four "seasons" -- so maybe everyone already knows it's not so good.) Currently a couple of episodes into City on a Hill with Kevin Bacon as a very flawed FBI agent in 1990s Boston. It's OK. Up thread The Vast of Night was recommended. I'm not a big sci-fi fan but I enjoyed it. Moon was also a good rec. Das Boot was mentioned -- some other (Aussie) '80 war movies I remember liking: Breaker Morant and Gallipoli. Floodgates open for random '80s favorites: Diner, Buckaroo Banzai, Repo Man, Strange Brew, Terminator. There's a relatively new season of Ozark which was good. Billions is going again but not so sure. We were getting into the French spy show The Bureau but it was yanked from Prime. There's always old Top Gear and Grand Designs episodes...

Just finally got around to watching 1917.

Wow. Just wow.

Some of the best cinematography I've ever seen.

Will watch again.
    "That young man has an extra step on his ladder the rest of us just don't have."

Quote Originally Posted by Nrrrrvous View Post
    Just finally got around to watching 1917.

Wow. Just wow.

Some of the best cinematography I've ever seen.

Will watch again.
    Really enjoyed 1917.

Also recommend “They Shall Not Grow Old,” Peter Jackson’s colorized blending of archival WW I film and interviews with vets into a montage of experiences. Powerful, and technologically stunning.

(and IIRC you may have been the one to turn me on to Dan Carlin’s “Blueprint for Armageddon” so I won’t repeat that recommendation — but wow.)

Killing Eve is quite good too. Three seasons of it now IIRC.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmymax View Post
    Killing Eve is quite good too. Three seasons of it now IIRC.
    Can you get it without paying? I would love to binge watch all 3 seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Really enjoyed 1917.

Also recommend “They Shall Not Grow Old,” Peter Jackson’s colorized blending of archival WW I film and interviews with vets into a montage of experiences. Powerful, and technologically stunning.

(and IIRC you may have been the one to turn me on to Dan Carlin’s “Blueprint for Armageddon” so I won’t repeat that recommendation — but wow.)
    I saw "They Shall Not Grow Old" when it hit theaters last year. Really enjoyed it.

I listened to Dan Carlin's "Supernova in the East IV" for 2 and 1/2 hours yesterday while driving and was actually a little disappointed that I arrived at my destination. Will probably finish it tomorrow on my drive back home. I just wish it didn't take him 6 months to put out an episode!
    "That young man has an extra step on his ladder the rest of us just don't have."