Page 51 of 164 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361101151 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,020 of 3263
    Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Seems like it should have come out right before or right after Endgame​.
    No, it should have come out where it falls in the order of the story, which is between Civil War and Infinity War. There is no reason to wait until after Endgame for this film. Nothing about it really changes our view of what happened in that important movie.

The great pity is that, if done properly, this film could have been used to better set up the fateful decision Black Widow makes in Endgame. But, sadly, this film doesn't get too deep into guilt or sacrifices (it would have been easy to add some elements to the story to bring this out more) so it doesn't serve to inform her actions in Endgame any more. What a waste.

It isn't bad, it just doesn't really take the overall MCU story (or Black Widow's story) in any new or interesting directions. Oh well.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    You're missing an article in the last sentence. That makes it seem like you cheated on the 100 words.

MCU has kind of jumped the shark for me, anyway, but...Scarlett Johansson. What're ya gonna do?

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    You're missing an article in the last sentence. That makes it seem like you cheated on the 100 words.

MCU has kind of jumped the shark for me, anyway, but...Scarlett Johansson. What're ya gonna do?
    Really? Between Endgame and the Disney+ shows I think the MCU is better than it’s ever been and I’m really looking forward to Antman, Strange, Spidey and the other movies coming out.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    It isn't bad, it just doesn't really take the overall MCU story (or Black Widow's story) in any new or interesting directions. Oh well.
    That's an interesting comment, and it points to my biggest complaint with the MCU.

If it hadn't been for the pandemic (And Disney + and a pirated Spiderman movie or two), I would still have no clue, and not a care, because I don't want to be beholden to an entire franchise. I don't want to watch (translate to pay for) a new movie without knowing everything that came before.

Star Wars gets this. (To a point, now that Disney has taken over.) James Bond is maybe the better franchise to toss out. It's JAMES EFFING BOND! I know what to expect. I don't have to be invested in his story. He kills people, women spies are given over sexualized names, silhouetted boobs float on the screen in the beginning. As far as the rest of it? Might be good, might suck, but it will be fun.

Which is perhaps while I'll actually like Black Widow just for being what it is. I know she's dead down the road, so hey...I get to watch her ride a bike, play a female James Bond, and blow some siht up! (Still not paying to see it, though.)
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Just finished Mare of Eastown on HBO Max. It's a single season 7 episode mini series staring Kate Winslet who plays a detective trying to solve the murder of a young girl in the town. It's so much more than this though. I thoroughly enjoyed it and thought it was really well done. The acting and writing are both great. Highly recommend.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    If it hadn't been for the pandemic (And Disney + and a pirated Spiderman movie or two), I would still have no clue, and not a care, because I don't want to be beholden to an entire franchise. I don't want to watch (translate to pay for) a new movie without knowing everything that came before.
    Please don't take this as an insult, and I don't mean to sound obnoxious, but the MCU collection isn't interested in you. There are plenty of people who do care and they spend a lot of money on the franchise.

I used to be like you, would forget plot points from one movie to the next, and stopped caring. But my daughter gave me access to her Disney+ account, which has the entire collection, and convinced me to binge all of the movies, even the ones I've already seen. When you watch the movies so closely together it's really a fun story and the small mentions and call backs are cool when you actually notice them and know what they mean. So now I've become reinvested and am looking forward to the next phase.
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Please don't take this as an insult, and I don't mean to sound obnoxious, but the MCU collection isn't interested in you. There are plenty of people who do care and they spend a lot of money on the franchise.

I used to be like you, would forget plot points from one movie to the next, and stopped caring. But my daughter gave me access to her Disney+ account, which has the entire collection, and convinced me to binge all of the movies, even the ones I've already seen. When you watch the movies so closely together it's really a fun story and the small mentions and call backs are cool when you actually notice them and know what they mean. So now I've become reinvested and am looking forward to the next phase.
    Is there a DBR list of these movies in order, and which ones aren’t worth the trouble? I’ve only seen a couple of them.

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    Is there a DBR list of these movies in order, and which ones aren’t worth the trouble? I’ve only seen a couple of them.

-jk
    Of course! Kudos to Jason Evans --

https://forums.dukebasketballreport...07#post1332507

I've been following his comments and really, they're all very good and worth watching. He doesn't put Guardians 1, Thor: Ragnarok or Black Panther in green, but I found them to be among the best from a strict enjoyment standpoint.

Disney+ offers them in cinematic order and chronological order
    Rich

Thanks both of you!

-jk

I've been following his comments and really, they're all very good and worth watching. He doesn't put Guardians 1, Thor: Ragnarok or Black Panther in green, but I found them to be among the best from a strict enjoyment standpoint.

Worth noting that the ones in green and the ones where I said, "skip it" was because of connection to the WandaVision TV show. As I said in those comments, several of the "skip it" films are wonderful movies that are a great joy to watch, they just don't have much to do with what was happening in the WandaVision TV show. If you read my comments, you can tell which ones are really worth watching and which truly can be skipped if you are trying to catch up on the entire MCU.

There are really only a small handful of the films that should be skipped: Incredible Hulk, Iron Man 2 (?) & 3, Thor 2, Guardians 2, Capt Marvel, Ant Man & The Wasp (though you must watch the post-credit scene).
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Worth noting that the ones in green and the ones where I said, "skip it" was because of connection to the WandaVision TV show. As I said in those comments, several of the "skip it" films are wonderful movies that are a great joy to watch, they just don't have much to do with what was happening in the WandaVision TV show. If you read my comments, you can tell which ones are really worth watching and which truly can be skipped if you are trying to catch up on the entire MCU.

There are really only a small handful of the films that should be skipped: Incredible Hulk, Iron Man 2 (?) & 3, Thor 2, Guardians 2, Capt Marvel, Ant Man & The Wasp (though you must watch the post-credit scene).
    Good reminder. I watched WandaVision without first re-watching movies like Ultron and enjoyed it, but I could tell I was missing some of the story and many of the inside "jokes." So I recently went back to watch the Thor movies before I start Loki and all the Captain movies before I watch The Falcon and the Winter Soldier. It's a big investment of time, but I happen to have a lot of free time on my hands lately.
    Rich

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley

I totally agree. That's why I led with "if it hadn't been for the pandemic". Otherwise I wouldn't have binged, and wouldn't be caught up.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    That's an interesting comment, and it points to my biggest complaint with the MCU.

Star Wars gets this. (To a point, now that Disney has taken over.) James Bond is maybe the better franchise to toss out. It's JAMES EFFING BOND! I know what to expect. I don't have to be invested in his story. He kills people, women spies are given over sexualized names, silhouetted boobs float on the screen in the beginning. As far as the rest of it? Might be good, might suck, but it will be fun.

Which is perhaps while I'll actually like Black Widow just for being what it is. I know she's dead down the road, so hey...I get to watch her ride a bike, play a female James Bond, and blow some siht up! (Still not paying to see it, though.)
    Here's the thing: I think Marvel has done a pretty amazing job of making every movie accessible to new entrants. Pretty much every movie (even to some extent Endgame) holds up even if you haven't seen any of the others. Maybe better than any large fictional universe I'm aware of that maintains continuity (disqualifies Bond, among others).

Separately, I'm also going to go against the grain and suggest that people DO watch Thor 2. I know the consensus is that it wasn't good, but I actually kind of liked it and there are some important moments in other films that just don't hit as hard if you don't know what happened there. It is skipable, but I think it is the least skipable of a lot of the other recommendations.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Separately, I'm also going to go against the grain and suggest that people DO watch Thor 2.
    You're not alone. The powers that be at Marvel seem to have made that movie retroactively important, revisiting it in Avengers: Endgame and TV's Loki. Apparently Rene Russo's character holds the MCU together.

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    The Internet has you covered. Someone on this site has mapped out the MCU timeline of all the movies, scene by scene.

1. Prologue of THOR: THE DARK WORLD (stop at 3:45)
    2. Flashback sequence of THOR: RAGNAROK (start at 1:19:13, stop at 1:19:54)
    3. Second prologue of THOR (start at 3:20, stop at 7:34)
    4. First prologue of BLACK PANTHER (stop at 1:43)
    5. Flashback scene in CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE WINTER SOLDIER (start at 1:32:28, stop at 1:33:17)
    6. Most of CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE FIRST AVENGER (start at 3:38, stop at 1:50:30)
    So the first 6 entries on the list take you from the dawn of time to the mid-1940s.

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    You're not alone. The powers that be at Marvel seem to have made that movie retroactively important, revisiting it in Avengers: Endgame and TV's Loki. Apparently Rene Russo's character holds the MCU together.

The Internet has you covered. Someone on this site has mapped out the MCU timeline of all the movies, scene by scene.

So the first 6 entries on the list take you from the dawn of time to the mid-1940s.
    Hmm... I don't think I want to go that far!

-jk

Huh. Interesting parallel with the book of genesis.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Huh. Interesting parallel with the book of genesis.
    "And unto Buri was born Bor: and Bor begat Odin: and Odin begat Thor: and Thor begat Patrick Davidson, the Allfather."

"And unto Buri was born Bor: and Bor begat Odin: and Odin begat Thor: and Thor begat Patrick Davidson, the Allfather."
    Praise him!!!

We watched Kajillionaire last night, which featured one of the stranger performances I’ve seen in recent memory. Odd movie in general about a con artist family whose daughter begins to break free.

The Dawn Wall

I have discovered that I really am attracted to the genre of climbing movies ... probably starting way back with the PBS treatment of the 1996 Everest disaster.

Subsequently I have enjoyed Free Solo, Valley Uprising, and Meru. Last night, I watched The Dawn Wall on Netflix - I found it more far compelling than Free Solo (and I did actually like that one).

The backstory is incredible (hopefully not literally so), and the dramatic tension building through the attempt is masterfully done. We even get a little coda of such tension in the credits - watch for it!