Page 46 of 164 FirstFirst ... 3644454647485696146 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by acdevil View Post
    I remember when the death toll started to mount. Seemed to be a NJ problem since the Six Flags Haunted House caught on fire and killed a bunch of people when I was a kid as well.
    When I was about 4-5 I freaked out in the Great Adventure haunted house (no idea why my parents had me in there) and they had to let us out some emergency exit - that was just a few years before the fire. A short while later that same day at Great Adventure I was running, tripped over myself and split my lip - I think they sent me to the local hospital out of an abundance of caution. Not quite the stuff that movies are made of, but I've had my share of hard knocks at the NJ amusement parks too...

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    It was a pretty big deal in the metro-NY area, particularly for those of us from Jersey. In the early days of the internet when everyone circulated those "you know you're from..." e-mails, the NJ ones always included "you know you're from NJ if you know someone who has been seriously injured at Action Park." Yet we kept going back for more. If you were smart about it, you could have a pretty safe, fun time - no need to go full speed on the Alpine Slide or to the deepest end of the Wave Pool.

In the winter it was a decent sized regional ski resort called Vernon Valley/Great Gorge. In its early days (before I was born) there was also a Playboy Club there. I think it is now still operating as a ski resort and water park and I'm assuming the water park is better run now - not racing to take my kids there anytime soon.

Unfortunately I don't get HBOMax but I think the movie comes out elsewhere soon so I will definitely check it out.
    I’m from NJ and had gone to the park a few times (as well as Vernon Valley). The documentary is not sensationalized. It was as crazy as it sounds when you watch the film.
    Quote Originally Posted by LasVegas View Post
    This is awesome to know. I loved the documentary. Just laugh out loud funny to me until the death of that one kid. The tone of the movie changed a lot at that point, of course. So sad.
    The whole place reminded me of something you might find in a less developed country w/o the regulatory safety infrastructure and litigiousness of the U.S. Like, everything can just go sideways under the right conditions but for the most part it operates and things, chaotic as they may be.

But, yeah, I really REALLY could not believe how many people died before it closed. At one point, there were 2 deaths in a week or something crazy like that.

I know I'm 10+ years late to the game on this one, but I just watched The Social Network. Really entertaining, engaging movie, that is interesting to see now that Facebook has changed so much. Every major character comes out looking bad, though for different reasons.

Also late to the game. Barry, on HBO is amazing.

Anybody watched Army of the Dead on Netflix? Interesting all the chopper pilot scenes were done in post to wipeout the original actor. Glad I didn’t spend $$ at the theatre but decent popcorn Saturday movie.

Anyone seeing Quiet Place 2 or his weekend? Really enjoyed the first one. Strong positive reviews on RT.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Without naming anything in particular, I just want to say that movies with vague endings drive me crazy. It's not artistic, it's lazy writing!
    Don't make me invest an hour and a half of my time in your story and then send me off asking "Huh?" as the credits scroll.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Without naming anything in particular, I just want to say that movies with vague endings drive me crazy. It's not artistic, it's lazy writing!
    Don't make me invest an hour and a half of my time in your story and then send me off asking "Huh?" as the credits scroll.
    Oh... You watched Friends: The Reunion too, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    This is exactly how I am. Probably why I hated the ending to the Sopranos so much.

This is exactly how I am. Probably why I hated the ending to the Sopranos so much.
    By quite a few accounts, the Sopranos ending wasn’t actually vague. David Chase dropped all the hints he wanted his audience to have, and made precisely his intended comment about the gangster lifestyle.

If that’s true, then why not explicitly show the ending?

It always felt to me like he wanted it to be vague, but then claimed to have dropped those hints after so many hated the vagueness.

If that’s true, then why not explicitly show the ending?

It always felt to me like he wanted it to be vague, but then claimed to have dropped those hints after so many hated the vagueness.
    That was part of his point. The gangster life by definition sets one up for a sudden, unsatisfying ending. And he also had a point about the audience…those who wanted “closure” because they thought a violent man deserved a violent end and wanted to watch it onscreen were themselves entertained by that violence (even cheered it on), and he wanted them to ask themselves why.

I don’t have a problem with the Ending of Sopranos.

Breaking Bad had the perfect ending IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    I don’t have a problem with the Ending of Sopranos.

Breaking Bad had the perfect ending IMO.
    The alt ending was my favorite.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDukie View Post
    The alt ending was my favorite.
    Yes, fantastic!

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Yes, fantastic!
    Perhaps another good recommendation for TV watching/rewatching - "Malcolm in the Middle". An underrated sitcom, if you ask me.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDukie View Post
    Perhaps another good recommendation for TV watching/rewatching - "Malcolm in the Middle". An underrated sitcom, if you ask me.
    Really, anything with Bryan Cranston is good.
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    That was part of his point. The gangster life by definition sets one up for a sudden, unsatisfying ending. And he also had a point about the audience…those who wanted “closure” because they thought a violent man deserved a violent end and wanted to watch it onscreen were themselves entertained by that violence (even cheered it on), and he wanted them to ask themselves why.
    It’s also from Tony’s POV so he wouldn’t see it coming. Thus the cut to black. There’s a wonderful analysis out there on the web somewhere that breaks down the anatomy of the final scene and links it back to various conversations.

I’m convinced Chase did what he did on purpose and thinks it makes sense even if it wasn’t satisfying.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    It’s also from Tony’s POV so he wouldn’t see it coming. Thus the cut to black. There’s a wonderful analysis out there on the web somewhere that breaks down the anatomy of the final scene and links it back to various conversations.

I’m convinced Chase did what he did on purpose and thinks it makes sense even if it wasn’t satisfying.
    Yes, plus there’s the scene in “Soprano Home Movies” (the final season premiere) where Tony and Bobby Baccala are fishing on the lake and exchanging one of their more vulnerable and introspective conversations about life, existence, etc., and Bobby offers up the truism,
    I mean, yeah, our line of work, it's always out there. You probably don't even hear it when it happens, right?
    …presaging the finale’s message that 1) as I’ve said, the gangster life is itself an invitation to an abrupt and unceremonious end, and 2) things are likely to just go to black when you get yours.

This piece is long, but an exquisite deconstruction of the Sopranos ending:
    https://masterofsopranos.wordpress.c...on-of-the-end/

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    This piece is long, but an exquisite deconstruction of the Sopranos ending:
    https://masterofsopranos.wordpress.c...on-of-the-end/
    That’s it. That’s the one I was thinking about in my post!