Page 43 of 166 FirstFirst ... 3341424344455393143 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    So, all you Tom Clancy fans out there who are eagerly awaiting Without Remorse... here is my 100-word review: https://flixchat.blogspot.com/2021/0...s-without.html
    Well, I read the book, but let's just say I wasn't holding my breath for the movie version. The plot of the book was confusing, and more complicated that I can imagine would fit into a 2-hour movie, so I can't say I'm surprised by your conclusion. I also didn't find the book compelling at all. For one thing, I'm not an eye-for-an-eye guy. Supposed good guys using torture and extreme murder methods to exact revenge is not my idea of civilization, let alone a good read. IMO, this book was written after Clancy had jumped the shark and gone into full crazy mode.

I'm happy to skip this one.

So, all you Tom Clancy fans out there who are eagerly awaiting Without Remorse... here is my 100-word review: https://flixchat.blogspot.com/2021/0...s-without.html
    Is Michael B. Jordan definitely playing John Clark? Your review says so, and the Amazon description says so, but IMDb (owned by Amazon) calls his character "John Kelly" for some reason.

Also curious if Amazon is creating a Tom Clancy shared universe with this movie and their Jack Ryan series. I see Jodie Turner-Smith is playing a character with the last name Greer.

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    Is Michael B. Jordan definitely playing John Clark? Your review says so, and the Amazon description says so, but IMDb (owned by Amazon) calls his character "John Kelly" for some reason.

Also curious if Amazon is creating a Tom Clancy shared universe with this movie and their Jack Ryan series. I see Jodie Turner-Smith is playing a character with the last name Greer.
    It’s been a while since I read Without Remorse but if I remember correctly John Kelly is who John Clark was before he became John Clark and the circumstances of the book lead him to adopt the new name.

Also, Clark is a character in several of the Jack Ryan books so a shared universe would be consistent with the books.

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post

I don't think it is a big spoiler to tell folks that "John Kelly" is given the new ID "John Clark" at the end of this movie, much like in the book. It isn't a plot point that matters at all to the movie.

Jodie Turner-Smith's character, Karen Greer, is identified on multiple occasions as the niece of James Greer. As for whether this film will inhabit the same universe as the Jack Ryan TV show, it is entirely possible. I don't think anything in this film makes it either a given or an impossibility.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Just finished both seasons of an Australian mystery series — “Mystery Road.” Six episodes each season. Liked the first a lot. Second a bit tougher to follow. And the accents were tough at times, too.

Just watched first episode of a limited series (only 3 episodes total) — “Des.” True story, serial killer (of young men) in London, early ‘80s. David Tennant is brilliant, other actors good, too. Tennant’s Scottish accent a challenge, but he’s so powerful.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Has anyone checked out Invincible on Prime? I started watching last night, and didn't stop until I had binged the first 4 episodes. Similar to The Boys in that it is based on an existing comic about super heroes, and that it is for "mature audiences" with lots of blood and guts. Aside from that, the similarities drift off.

Invincible is animated, and is about a high schooler who's dad just happens to be the most powerful superhero on Earth. In the first episode, he gets his own powers (finally, turns out he's a late bloomer). The show is about him dealing with that, dealing with school and dating, and dealing with his parents. It's also a murder mystery, since the first episode ends with a mass slaughter. We know WHO commits the crime, we just don't know why.

J.K. Simmons voices Omni Man (Dad), Sandra Oh is mom, and Steven Yeun is Invincible. (The name that our hero gives himself.)
    The cast has a ton of familiar names, and the writing is really good. The 1st season got over 90% on RottenTomatoes, which I agree with since I couldn't turn it off last night.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

We just started watching Sasquatch on Hulu. Murder mystery on a marijuana farm in the early '90s, with Bigfoot. Every bit as bananas as it sounds, and very much my cup of tea.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Sasquatch. (Hulu)

We watched the 1st episode tonight, and it is just as crazy and bizarre as we expected it to be. Also, beyond being about a murderous bigfoot, it's also a fascinating history of weed farming in California.
    Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    We just started watching Sasquatch on Hulu. Murder mystery on a marijuana farm in the early '90s, with Bigfoot. Every bit as bananas as it sounds, and very much my cup of tea.
    We started watching because we love anything that has anything to do with Bigfoot. Won't spoil it for you, but we totally enjoyed watching it. Usually we space out what we're watching and do an episode of one show, then watch something else in between before picking back up a few nights later.

We couldn't with Sasquatch, we had to watch them back to back, it was so wild that we couldn't wait.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    We started watching because we love anything that has anything to do with Bigfoot. Won't spoil it for you, but we totally enjoyed watching it. Usually we space out what we're watching and do an episode of one show, then watch something else in between before picking back up a few nights later.

We couldn't with Sasquatch, we had to watch them back to back, it was so wild that we couldn't wait.
    Ok, you guys have got me curious. I've got a three day weekend coming up with my 2nd shot on Saturday, so this may be a good curl up on the couch and watch TV weekend.

Great summation. Fun to watch, but plot really makes leaps.
    Last edited by -jk; 05-06-2021 at 11:43 AM. Reason: Fix quote tag

Has anyone checked out Invincible on Prime? I started watching last night, and didn't stop until I had binged the first 4 episodes. Similar to The Boys in that it is based on an existing comic about super heroes, and that it is for "mature audiences" with lots of blood and guts. Aside from that, the similarities drift off.
    Finished watching the last 4 episodes last night. Totally loved the show and can't wait for season 2. (Both 2 and 3 got greenlit.)
    Since the next episode kicks in pretty much right after the previous one finishes, I didn't watch the credits, but I watched them during the last one. The similarities between Invincible and The Boys totally make sense now, since I noticed that Seth Rogen is also an executive producer on Invincible. He also voices a minor character in two of the episodes. While brief, the character he plays is great. (Allen the Alien)

Quote Originally Posted by gumbomoop View Post
    Just finished both seasons of an Australian mystery series — “Mystery Road.” Six episodes each season. Liked the first a lot. Second a bit tougher to follow. And the accents were tough at times, too.

Just watched first episode of a limited series (only 3 episodes total) — “Des.” True story, serial killer (of young men) in London, early ‘80s. David Tennant is brilliant, other actors good, too. Tennant’s Scottish accent a challenge, but he’s so powerful.
    I'm in the second season of Mystery Road and you're right, accents are tough. Pretty good drama though. Where are you watching "Des"?

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    I'm in the second season of Mystery Road and you're right, accents are tough. Pretty good drama though. Where are you watching "Des"?
    Mystery Road — Although I found the Season 1 storyline a bit easier to follow, I have to say the Season 2 underlying theme of archeological theft of Aboriginal ancestral bones is pretty compelling.

Des — I have no streaming service (Netflix, etc.), so I visit my local public library, which has a very good DVD (and CD) collection, old and recent films, American and British series, some foreign. I suppose for many, CDs and DVDs may be old technology, too much trouble, even quaint or soon outmoded?

Anyhow, if you can access “Des” by any method, I recommend it to you and others on this thread, with the caveat that it’s a real-life grim story. Only 3 episodes, 2-2.5 hours total. The 3 main characters are brilliantly acted. I have read some criticism that David Tennant makes the serial killer almost likable — or at least interesting rather than utterly despicable — in his portrayal of a quixotic, strange combo of matter-of-fact honesty and self-deception. Neither the lead detective nor Des’s biographer — nor the viewer — can quite believe what the admitted killer tells them, or rather the manner in which he remembers his murderousness.

One finds oneself, occasionally, laughing and immediately regretting any such response to how Tennant portrays this ghastly madman. Tennant’s Scottish accent is difficult, and he speaks at a normal, conversational clip. Yet even when I couldn’t catch every word, I thought I caught his often astounding meaning.
    Last edited by gumbomoop; 05-07-2021 at 05:05 PM.

I am now just getting to the Netflix Marvel shows. Just binged Daredevil Season - which I really enjoyed. On to Season 1 of Jessica Jones next.

Well the Handmaid’s Tale is back on. My wife likes it so we watch it but I just hate this dang show so much. I was all in for season 1 but it just lost me somewhere during season 2. I wish I could just read how it all ends and be done with it.

Quote Originally Posted by LasVegas View Post
    Well the Handmaid’s Tale is back on. My wife likes it so we watch it but I just hate this dang show so much. I was all in for season 1 but it just lost me somewhere during season 2. I wish I could just read how it all ends and be done with it.
    Same reaction. Season 1 was compelling but halfway through season 2 they pushed the emotional whiplashes too far. It went from gripping drama to feeling manipulative.

Quote Originally Posted by acdevil View Post
    I am now just getting to the Netflix Marvel shows. Just binged Daredevil Season - which I really enjoyed. On to Season 1 of Jessica Jones next.
    Fun shows! Iron Fist is the weakest link, but it is still fun.

I'm quite salty it's all over.

We watched Booksmart, a coming of age story about two overachieving young women, last night. A friendship love story like Superbad from a girl’s POV. Really fun and funny.

I don’t want to stray into PPB but it’s been a lot of fun to finally see such quality storytelling with young women as the center of the story. I remember it hitting me after Bridesmaids came out - and the discussion about it - it striking me how almost all of the teen coming of age comedies of my generation were from the male POV. No wonder my girlfriend hated American Pie (it did NOT age well so she was much smarter than me...and has continued to prove it as an adult).

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    We watched Booksmart, a coming of age story about two overachieving young women, last night. A friendship love story like Superbad from a girl’s POV. Really fun and funny.

I don’t want to stray into PPB but it’s been a lot of fun to finally see such quality storytelling with young women as the center of the story. I remember it hitting me after Bridesmaids came out - and the discussion about it - it striking me how almost all of the teen coming of age comedies of my generation were from the male POV. No wonder my girlfriend hated American Pie (it did NOT age well so she was much smarter than me...and has continued to prove it as an adult).
    I thought Booksmart was almost TOO much like Superbad. The leads were charming enough, the story was fine. I just felt like it was almost a retelling of Superbad.

Quote Originally Posted by gumbomoop View Post

I like Australian humor and drama so I’ll have to check out “Mystery Road”. Outside of “Veep”, “Rake” is the funniest show I’ve seen in years. Also enjoyed watching “Offspring” with Mrs. Lotus.