Page 4 of 162 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast
    Some on the reading thread have been reading King novels. We watched the Shining one night and then watched Doctor Sleep (director's cut) the next. If you watch Doctor Sleep, you should definitely watch the Shining first. There are many references to Kubrick's classic, and it is a sequel.

Doctor Sleep is decent, but it isn't the Shining. It's long, beautifully shot, and well acted by the lead (Ewan McGregor) and lead villain. A few of the actors are not good which is obvious by comparison (Jack Nicholson and Shelley Duvall are eons better than the people playing Jack and Wendy Torrance in Doctor Sleep).

Comparing any atmospheric horror movie to The Shining is like comparing something with Pulp Fiction. Of course it isn't anywhere near as good as the Shining, but few are. This movie realizes that so it's chock full of references to the original for fans. The first half of Doctor Sleep is good, and the ending is good. The middle drags some. It's deeper and thought provoking as it makes you contemplate the consuming nature of time and life.

Doctor Sleep is disturbing and scary. I like good horror, but kids getting brutally murdered crosses the line for me. So overall I'd give this movie a B- and the Shining A+.

If you're a big fan of the Shining and Stephen King, it's worth checking out after seeing the Shining again. If this kind of thing isn't your cup of tea, definitely skip this one. It's decent, but it's not It Chapter One.
    Last edited by richardjackson199; 05-26-2020 at 11:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    SonPK suggested we watch Das Boot so we did. Wow. Really hard to believe I never invested the time to watch this one before.
    One of my all time favorites to watch on a great surround/home theater setup. The creaking/dripping/all around you is some of the best ever! And when rivets start to pop, etc etc... Just excellent audio engineering. Really draws you in. Watching that on just TV speakers should be a crime. (sorry, no offense, not sure how you watched it)
    "That young man has an extra step on his ladder the rest of us just don't have."

Quote Originally Posted by Nrrrrvous View Post
    One of my all time favorites to watch on a great surround/home theater setup. The creaking/dripping/all around you is some of the best ever! And when rivets start to pop, etc etc... Just excellent audio engineering. Really draws you in. Watching that on just TV speakers should be a crime. (sorry, no offense, not sure how you watched it)
    Surround sound. And, agreed.

(It was a good system by 1998 standards, probably pales to what is out there now).

Surround sound. And, agreed.

(It was a good system by 1998 standards, probably pales to what is out there now).
    You might be due for an upgrade. I think you're a couple iterations behind...
    "That young man has an extra step on his ladder the rest of us just don't have."

I recorded it, will zip through the commercials. But is it worth watching substantively?
    Yeah, for the most part. Next two episodes should be better.

Quote Originally Posted by Nrrrrvous View Post
    You might be due for an upgrade. I think you're a couple iterations behind...
    Way back when, when my kids were small they noticed they could hear Nemo swimming around the room. A couple nerds in the making!

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    https://flixchat.blogspot.com/2020/0...s-vast-of.html

Folks, you really need to see this one when it debuts on Amazon Prime on May 29th. As I say in my review in the link above: "A master-class in building tension and excitement." Stunning to think that this is by a first-time director. I kid you not when I say this will certainly be on my short list for Best Director when the year is done.

Great story about the first-time director of this film, Andrew Patterson (someone is going to give him $50 or $75 mil to make his next movie and if it is anything but a flop, Disney or someone like that will hand him a mountain of cash going forward).

While others were at film school, the Oklahoma City native was working his way up from the bottom. He spent most of his 20s doing commercial work (“Commercial sounds very flattering,” he joked; “It’s not like I was making Nike ads”) and accumulating filmmaking gear. “In Oklahoma, you can’t get your hands on what you need to light a scene well,” Patterson said. “I think there’s a one grip truck in the whole state.”

He’d also spent a lot of time doing research and experimentation. “There was no one to pick the brain of at all,” Patterson said. “So I tried to extrapolate as much as I could by watching [David] Fincher movies and looking at every single behind the scenes feature that they would put out, and then just sort of took a stab.”
    Here is a photo of Patterson. That might be the most hair I have ever seen on the head of a human being. Andrew Patterson is part human, part lion.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Grant on History Channel "I recorded it, will zip through the commercials. But is it worth watching substantively?" Yes if you can record it and skip the ads. Thought the commentary was excellent about how Grant came a big-time general. Enjoyed the Western campaigns as I don't know them particularly well. The actual combat reenactment scenes were disappointing. Hopefully, these will be better tonight.

Based on the DBR beer-fest this weekend, I’ve been wanting to re-watch In Bruges. Absolutely love that film.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    So I'm guessing that Space Force is indeed the show JE was referencing. I'm bummed, was hoping it was going to be great.
    https://www.yahoo.com/news/critics-s...135300459.html

HOWEVER!!!!
    TOMORROW there is gonna be a real live space launch of real live astronauts taking off from real live American soil!!!! I'm so stoked!
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    https://flixchat.blogspot.com/2020/0...s-vast-of.html

Folks, you really need to see this one when it debuts on Amazon Prime on May 29th. As I say in my review in the link above: "A master-class in building tension and excitement." Stunning to think that this is by a first-time director. I kid you not when I say this will certainly be on my short list for Best Director when the year is done.

Checked out the IMDB page thinking the two guys on the poster looked vaguely Franco- and DiCaprio-esque. Boy, was I wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by WV_Iron_Duke View Post
    Grant on History Channel "I recorded it, will zip through the commercials. But is it worth watching substantively?" Yes if you can record it and skip the ads. Thought the commentary was excellent about how Grant came a big-time general. Enjoyed the Western campaigns as I don't know them particularly well. The actual combat reenactment scenes were disappointing. Hopefully, these will be better tonight.
    I watched the first episode last night and thought it was very well done. If you are interested in the civil war at all I think you would enjoy it. Looking forward to the next two episodes.

Based on the DBR beer-fest this weekend, I’ve been wanting to re-watch In Bruges. Absolutely love that film.
    We watched In Bruges tonight while drinking some more Belgians (Orval and Rio Reserva). Loved it! Thanks for the rec. It's very dark comedy so not for everyone. But nothing is out of bounds for me to laugh at so we enjoyed. Cool shots of Bruges too.

Quote Originally Posted by richardjackson199 View Post
    We watched In Bruges tonight while drinking some more Belgians (Orval and Rio Reserva). Loved it! Thanks for the rec. It's very dark comedy so not for everyone. But nothing is out of bounds for me to laugh at so we enjoyed. Cool shots of Bruges too.
    Glad you enjoyed it! Definitely not for everyone. But the dialogue is tight.

Oh, and SonPK checking out the alcoves (you use this word? Alcoves?) in Koningin Astridpark, looking all Colin Farrell-ish:

345C5ACA-BAA5-4D19-9AD0-E3AD3FCA35CD.jpg

Glad you enjoyed it! Definitely not for everyone. But the dialogue is tight.

Oh, and SonPK checking out the alcoves (you use this word? Alcoves?) in Koningin Astridpark, looking all Colin Farrell-ish:

345C5ACA-BAA5-4D19-9AD0-E3AD3FCA35CD.jpg
    Nice! I'll get to Belgium one day for the swans and beer. From my neck of the wood in the south, we use "nooks & crannies" for alcoves.

Quote Originally Posted by richardjackson199 View Post
    Nice! I'll get to Belgium one day for the swans and beer. From my neck of the wood in the south, we use "nooks & crannies" for alcoves.
    Ah, "nooks & crannies." Yes, I like that.

Whenever I get to feeling particularly blue, I like to read a few pages out of Cheated.

https://www.amazon.com/Cheated-Scand.../dp/1612347282

51WlZfP5dJL._SX332_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    So I'm guessing that Space Force is indeed the show JE was referencing. I'm bummed, was hoping it was going to be great.
    https://www.yahoo.com/news/critics-s...135300459.html
    Yes, Space Force was it and, as I indicated yesterday, while I adored the first two episodes (howling with laughter throughout ep 2) the show went steeply downhill from there. It seemed to find some footing in the final couple episodes and I think it is worth Netflix giving it a second season.

Anyway, here is the podcast my reviewing partner Josh and I did on it: https://flixchat.blogspot.com/2020/0...out-space.html
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by cspan37421 View Post
    Here are 3 available on Netflix that I have really enjoyed:

. . . Grantchester (2014-). For those who like Inspector Morse, Endeavour, etc. I'm always looking for the equal of Foyle's War, but that's in a class of its own. No shame in being at Inspector Morse's level. . . .
    My wife and I are avid fans of Endeavor and Grantchester. In fact, while spending a day exploring Cambridge just a year ago this week, we visited nearby Grantchester and enjoyed a leisurely afternoon break at the legendary Orchard Tea Garden:

http://www.theorchardteagarden.co.uk/

Not surprisingly, we're enamored of British-produced murder mystery programs generally, especially the ones that add a touch of humor like the Midsomer Murders and Poirot and Agatha Christie series, as well as some of the similar Australian-made programs like the Doctor Blake Mysteries and Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries. It's light, but pleasantly captivating, entertainment.

I just watched it for the first time. Great movie! My 16yo loves it too - wouldn’t let me delete it from the TiVo.

-jk