Page 39 of 165 FirstFirst ... 2937383940414989139 ... LastLast

My Octopus Teacher

Just saw this beautiful documentary. I am an animal nut, so I don’t trust my reads when it comes to movies like these to apply more broadly but it’s had all the right award nominations and a few wins.

It’s a story of a South African free diver who meets and slowly becomes acquainted and enchanted with an octopus. The more of her that you see the more amazing you realize she is and you kind of fall in love too. It’s the kind of movie you need during times like these. It expands your mind and leaves you with a greater appreciation for all living things. Probably not for everyone but if this is your bailiwick I think you will find it a great ride.

While I am at it, add me to the list of Ted Lasso fans. It’s just about perfect - again especially for these times.

Quote Originally Posted by Nrrrrvous View Post
    Oh man, that is a favorite of ours. Mrs. Nrrrrvous and I have watched that one at least a dozen or more times. What a great cast! John and Joan, Dan Akroyd, Minnie Driver, Alan Arkin, Hank Azaria, Jeremy Piven. What an awesome movie.
    Minnie Driver had her moment in the sun, then seemed to evaporate into the ether.

Quote Originally Posted by Nrrrrvous View Post
    Is it suitable for the 16 and 18 year old? Wait, who am I kidding, the 16 year old has seen Pulp Fiction...
    My son warned it when he was 13 or so. It’s rated R for a reason, but not near the realm of any Quentin Tarantino flick.

Quote Originally Posted by Utley View Post
    While I am at it, add me to the list of Ted Lasso fans. It’s just about perfect - again especially for these times.
    Not from the show:

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Not from the show:

The Ted Lasso commercials are great and very funny, but the show greatly exceeded my expectations. Kept all the humor from the commercials, but instead of Lasso being a buffoon, its more like an "aw shucks" veneer on a smart and thoughtful character, and the show had a lot of heart. Probably my favorite show from last year and I hope they make more.

Unrelated, for fans of British copper shows (Line of Duty, Broadchurch, Bodyguard, Luther, the Fall, etc), I just watched The Capture and thought it was really good. Maybe not quite to the level of those shows, but very enjoyable.

Quote Originally Posted by mkirsh View Post
    The Ted Lasso commercials are great and very funny, but the show greatly exceeded my expectations. Kept all the humor from the commercials, but instead of Lasso being a buffoon, its more like an "aw shucks" veneer on a smart and thoughtful character, and the show had a lot of heart. Probably my favorite show from last year and I hope they make more.

Unrelated, for fans of British copper shows (Line of Duty, Broadchurch, Bodyguard, Luther, the Fall, etc), I just watched The Capture and thought it was really good. Maybe not quite to the level of those shows, but very enjoyable.
    Wholly agree on Ted Lasso. What a gem.

Quote Originally Posted by mkirsh View Post

Where can I see The Capture? I hope your answer is Acorn TV or Prime Video.

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    Where can I see The Capture? I hope your answer is Acorn TV or Prime Video.
    I have old fashioned comcast, and I believe the Capture played through Peacock which comcast bundles in for free.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDukie View Post
    Great review, Jason.

Just watched it this morning on HBO Max (theater would have been amazing, but it's the best I could do). It was a fast-paced film that had a Saturday Matinee feel to it. And that was just perfect. Not a deep story at all. But a really fun one. And that's all I was hoping for.

I definitely recommend it for folk just looking to have two hours of kid-like enjoyment. After the last year, who could ask for anything more?

We watched it tonight. A good time was had by all. It was also fun seeing Ricky Baker from the Hunt for the Wilder People in something else. Nancy Botwin's ex-drug lord beau wasn't great as the CEO baddie.

Fun monster fights. Not sure what's out there so I won't say more than that.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    We watched it tonight. A good time was had by all. It was also fun seeing Ricky Baker from the Hunt for the Wilder People in something else. Nancy Botwin's ex-drug lord beau wasn't great as the CEO baddie.

Fun monster fights. Not sure what's out there so I won't say more than that.
    I'm 3/4 through this movie and have no earthly idea what is happening.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Oh, yeah. We turned that part of our brains off. The reason to watch is in the title.

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    TCM is doing their annual 31 days of Oscar (April 1-May 1). This year it’s “A to Z”, so it’s alphabetical. Last night was Ben-Hur, which I had never watched in its entirety (always seemed to come in during the ship scenes.)

Tonight is ABC’s annual broadcast of The Ten Commandments, so it you didn’t get enough of Charlton Heston last night...

Quote Originally Posted by DU82 View Post
    TCM is doing their annual 31 days of Oscar (April 1-May 1). This year it’s “A to Z”, so it’s alphabetical. Last night was Ben-Hur, which I had never watched in its entirety (always seemed to come in during the ship scenes.)

Tonight is ABC’s annual broadcast of The Ten Commandments, so it you didn’t get enough of Charlton Heston last night...
    Given the comment, and the season, and the world around us...

Moses.JPG

I loved the film and felt like it flew by at two hours. And while I understand the director wanted to keep human actors’ screen time to a minimum I do believe the film could’ve stood another 20 minutes or so to help explain things.

I loved the film and felt like it flew by at two hours. And while I understand the director wanted to keep human actors’ screen time to a minimum I do believe the film could’ve stood another 20 minutes or so to help explain things.
    Ironically, I found the actions of the titans to make more sense than the humans.

Ironically, I found the actions of the titans to make more sense than the humans.
    Agreed. Everything the humans did was rushed, storytelling wise.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Agreed. Everything the humans did was rushed, storytelling wise.
    For those that have seen it and are sharing (lots), feel free to make a spoilers thread for those of us who haven't.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    For those that have seen it and are sharing (lots), feel free to make a spoilers thread for those of us who haven't.
    I wouldn't categorize this as a movie that warrants a spoiler thread, but intelligent minds can disagree.

I wouldn't categorize this as a movie that warrants a spoiler thread, but intelligent minds can disagree.
    Well, there’s the Thanos bit after the credits...

It is Gozilla vs Kong with some good humans and some bad ones... there's almost nothing that could be spoiled that would change your outlook on the film. I can't recall a single moment of not knowing what would come next... and not caring either. The plot does not matter.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Well, there’s the Thanos bit after the credits...
    And when Harry Potter makes a hologram of Bilbo Baggins appears... I was blown away.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?