Page 3 of 162 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Heck, I'm restless for Season Five.
    Blaming the Protomolecule. Season 5 was awesome, I just can't tell you about it yet. (Taking the Jason Evans route.)
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Exactly. My kids are finally leaving this stage. Paw Patrol was fairly tolerable. Daniel Tiger (a Mr. Rogers spin-off) was my favorite as they were teaching something (though the fact that Daniel wears pants to sleep but not the rest of the time always got me!). We went through some long Thomas phases which were challenging. Most shows on regular TV try to have at least some redeeming educational value, though on some shows it is easier to find than on others.

Some of the new Youtube crap is what really gets me. This kid Ryan and his insufferable parents make tens of millions of dollars and are totally moronic.
    Sounds like that last paragraph warrants a post in the "Everyone loves it but I hate it" thread.

Partly Orlando, FL partly heard Sandpoint, ID
    Quote Originally Posted by left_hook_lacey View Post
    Sounds like that last paragraph warrants a post in the "Everyone loves it but I hate it" thread.
    My daughter has left the Paw Patrol stage... now we have 9 seasons of My Little Pony + a movie to work through. The only non animated movies I’ve seen of late would be the live action Disney movies...

Quote Originally Posted by Deslok View Post
    My daughter has left the Paw Patrol stage... now we have 9 seasons of My Little Pony + a movie to work through. The only non animated movies I’ve seen of late would be the live action Disney movies...
    Ah yes, the my little pony and cartoon movie days.

I loathed it at the time, but now that my daughter is a very mature 11 year old, I miss the days of her never getting out of her my little pony pajamas on Saturdays and asking me to watch Frozen with her for the nth time. Now, she comes downstairs, fixes her breakfast, says "hi", then disappears back into her lair never to be seen again until lunch.

My wife wanted to watch Homeland so we’ve been working our way through it. We’re a couple episodes into season 6. I must say, not liking this season so far. Feels like a step down and I don’t like what they’ve done with Quinn so far. I have also started What We Do in the Shadows. I find it hilarious but it’s probably not for everyone.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Cormac View Post
    My wife wanted to watch Homeland so we’ve been working our way through it. We’re a couple episodes into season 6. I must say, not liking this season so far. Feels like a step down and I don’t like what they’ve done with Quinn so far. I have also started What We Do in the Shadows. I find it hilarious but it’s probably not for everyone.
    I hope you watched the movie, it's hilarious. It's rare that a show is as good and funny as its source material (Mash is one). This week's show guest stars Mark Hammill, I'm stoked about that. His character is supposed to be some ancient vampire.
    (PS...as noted in the Star Wars thread, the guy who wrote and directed the movie, and is a producer on the show, Taika Waititi, is taking helm of the next Star Wars movie, yay!)
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

"The Last Kingdom" on Netflix is a sorta poor man's Game of Thrones. It's not as good as peak GoT, but it's pretty good, and if you're jonesing for something GoT-like, it might scratch your itch.

We didn't read the stories that said "Send in the Rebels and send out the clowns."
    And we didn't lose by 30.

The Vast of Night

https://flixchat.blogspot.com/2020/0...s-vast-of.html

Folks, you really need to see this one when it debuts on Amazon Prime on May 29th. As I say in my review in the link above: "A master-class in building tension and excitement." Stunning to think that this is by a first-time director. I kid you not when I say this will certainly be on my short list for Best Director when the year is done.

Last edited by JasonEvans; 05-25-2020 at 11:55 PM.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

We just finished Waco and started White Lines on Netflix. It's an across-the-decades murder mystery set primarily in Ibiza, Spain with a secondary location in Manchester, England. The show partly answers the question, what happens to ambitious party boys and girls that try to make in a place like Ibiza? Interesting to see them carried forward into their 40s. Anyway, it's an interesting location and the mystery is okay...not great but enough to keep us engaged. The main character isn't all that interesting but we've liked the cast of misfits that surround her story.

Waco was one of my early "news" memories, partly because I grew up a few hours from Waco and remember vividly certain scenes from the sieges. I'm so-so on the treatment of Koresh, think they gave him far too fair of a shake even if the questions about levying government force are very relevant and worth asking. Best Taylor Kitsch has been in anything since FNL, which isn't saying too much.

I don't have Apple TV and don't plan on ever getting it, but I would really like to see that Beastie Boys documentary. The constant ads for "Defending Jacob" have also piqued my interest, although I suspect the show will ultimately dissappoint.

SonPK suggested we watch Das Boot so we did. Wow. Really hard to believe I never invested the time to watch this one before.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    I don't have Apple TV and don't plan on ever getting it, but I would really like to see that Beastie Boys documentary. The constant ads for "Defending Jacob" have also piqued my interest, although I suspect the show will ultimately dissappoint.
    The Beastie Boys documentary is engaging for those of us who grew up with their music, although it’s basically just Mike D and Ad-Rock on a stage telling the Beastie Boys history. Sentimental, but not the highest quality documentary.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

We watched Hotel Artemis last night.

Other than he probably doesn’t want to, could have become a John Wick type franchise for Sterling K Brown.

An entertaining movie.

Here are 3 available on Netflix that I have really enjoyed:

Moon (2009), Sam Rockwell. It's Black Mirror-esque with a drizzle of Kubrick's 2001: A Space Odyssey, and a dash of The Martian. What a performance by Rockwell!

Best Worst Thing That Ever Could Have Happened (2016). The story of a rare Stephen Sondheim/Hal Prince flop, its effect on the cast member's lives, and its ultimate redemption. Bring tissues.

Grantchester (2014-). For those who like Inspector Morse, Endeavour, etc. I'm always looking for the equal of Foyle's War, but that's in a class of its own. No shame in being at Inspector Morse's level.

Mrs Cspan has been a regular watcher of The Good Place.

Quote Originally Posted by cspan37421 View Post
    Here are 3 available on Netflix that I have really enjoyed:

Moon (2009), Sam Rockwell. It's Black Mirror-esque with a drizzle of Kubrick's 2001: A Space Odyssey, and a dash of The Martian. What a performance by Rockwell!

Best Worst Thing That Ever Could Have Happened (2016). The story of a rare Stephen Sondheim/Hal Prince flop, its effect on the cast member's lives, and its ultimate redemption. Bring tissues.

Grantchester (2014-). For those who like Inspector Morse, Endeavour, etc. I'm always looking for the equal of Foyle's War, but that's in a class of its own. No shame in being at Inspector Morse's level.

Mrs Cspan has been a regular watcher of The Good Place.
    Love Moon. I watch it every couple of years.

Jason are you at liberty to share what show coming up soon had you busting a gut yet? Dying to know!

Watched History Channel's "Grant" last night. Meh. Too many ads. Two more installments tonight and Wednesday . Gonna deal ,more with the Civil War from here on.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    https://flixchat.blogspot.com/2020/0...s-vast-of.html

Folks, you really need to see this one when it debuts on Amazon Prime on May 29th. As I say in my review in the link above: "A master-class in building tension and excitement." Stunning to think that this is by a first-time director. I kid you not when I say this will certainly be on my short list for Best Director when the year is done.

My opinion about the brilliance of this low-budget mystery/thriller is being echoed by other critics. The film is currently at 93% on Rotten Tomatoes.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by DUKIECB View Post
    Jason are you at liberty to share what show coming up soon had you busting a gut yet? Dying to know!
    I am finishing up my review and podcast now and will post in a few hours. Sadly, my rave faded greatly after the first couple episodes. What has seemed to be hysterical faded into something more meh. The perils of talking about something after only seeing 2 of 10 episodes.

Quote Originally Posted by Devilwin View Post
    Watched History Channel's "Grant" last night. Meh. Too many ads. Two more installments tonight and Wednesday . Gonna deal ,more with the Civil War from here on.
    I recorded it, will zip through the commercials. But is it worth watching substantively?