Page 18 of 164 FirstFirst ... 816171819202868118 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    I definitely share your TV taste and strongly recommend HBO. Three of my five all-time favorites were HBO’s The Sopranos, The Wire, and Deadwood (in that order).
    The Sopranos is my #1 of all time, and I enjoyed it at least as much the second time around.
    This latest discussion has me feeling inspired to check out Fargo.
    At the semi-behest of some current students, I'm currently getting into Hunter x Hunter. Anime is not typically my thing, but I like the premise of this one and I do love cartoons. Always good to be a bit more conversant in whatever the yoots are into (and I don't mean Rick Majerus, god rest his soul).

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    I think there was true value to be gained from the “Executive Success Programs”. Almost one thousand people, per year, paid several thousands of dollars to attend. Many were prominent individuals and most never did anything else with the organization/cult. I specifically believe there is true value in “Exploration of Meaning” which was designed to unlock people’s innermost fears and lead them to “integrations” which dispelled their “limiting beliefs.” In the first episode, Mark said he had a lifelong feeling of panic when drove on the freeway. He said that one “Exploration of Meaning” session eliminated his fear. A few weeks later, on a freeway, he discovered that his panic wasn’t there, and he couldn’t quite recall how it had felt. The elimination of that fear, he then claimed, opened up a creative space in his mind that allowed him to finish up a film script in just a few weeks.
    I don't disagree that some of the techniques were benefitting people. Would have been a hard organization to sell otherwise! Even beyond DOS though, it was classic cult + pyramid scheme. The organization was built around the deification of Keith (vanguard, 3rd smartest man, etc). It utilized deceptive recruitment practices, leveled a torrent of support/validation at recruits to induce connection, slowly built dependency (emotional and financial) on the cult's activities...the whole system was designed to move people from the relatively benign outer circle to the inner circle and each progressive step resulted in more dependency.

It was also a classic, if more devious, pyramid scheme. The earned their bread on recruitment. Not exactly essential oils or Mary Kay but same incentive structure.

I'm not sure what the level of prominence has to do with anything. Lots of prominent and successful folks end up in dependent situations. In this organization, some of the most prominent were the deepest in the s*it.

Among series, I really like Succession and The Handmaid's Tale and enjoy Ozark, though I put it a bit below. The Crown is very well-done. It's not always as engaging to me as sometimes it does seem like a bunch of people living 2 centuries in the past and whining over very 1st world problems, but over time it humanizes them and has grown on me. Fleabag is entertaining and original. I saw Fargo season 3 and thought it was very good until a weak ending, so I'm looking forward to seeing the new and prior seasons.

I'm not so much a fan of Billions -- heavy-handed writing and implausible and forced plot twists. I've made myself watch a couple of episodes of Schitt's Creek and frankly don't get the hype at all. I like clever, silly comedy like Spinal Tap, but it seems more predictable and sophomoric like Ace Ventura.

I recommend Skid Row Marathon as a documentary.

I haven't seen it yet, but a fellow Duke alum wrote, directed, produced, and starred in One Hour Outcall, now on Amazon Prime.

I've found several "ethnic/religious" shows to be really interesting and would highly recommend:

Shtisel - Netflix - An Israeli television drama series about a fictional Haredi Jewish family living in Geula, Jerusalem. The series follows the lives of Shulem Shtisel, the Shtisel patriarch and a Rabbi at the local yeshiva, as well as those of the other members of his family. Shtisel is set in a religious, Internet-free neighborhood. The community follows strict haredi customs and violating the norms often causes chaos within the family.

Unorthodox - Netflix - Esty, a 19-year-old Jewish woman, is living unhappily in an arranged marriage among an ultra-Orthodox community in Williamsburg, Brooklyn. She runs away to Berlin, where her estranged mother lives, and tries to navigate a secular life, discovering life outside her community and rejecting all of the beliefs she grew up with. Her husband, who learns that she is pregnant, travels to Berlin with his cousin, by order of their rabbi, to try to find her.

Ramy - Hulu - Ramy follows a first-generation American Muslim who is on a spiritual journey in his politically divided New Jersey neighborhood. It explores the challenges of what it is like being caught between an Egyptian community that thinks life is a moral test, and a generation that thinks life has no consequences.

All three were terrific, IMO.
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by LasVegas View Post
    I hear ya. If you binge it, Ted Lasso is well worth the $5 for a month. Did you bundle the Hulu/Disney/ESPN+?
    I don't have the bundle and am wondering if I could get it at this point. I've had Hulu for three years, added ESPN+ early this year for soccer and some NBA and just last month added Disney for Hamilton. Anyone know if it is possible to combine existing subscriptions into a bundle? In theory I could end all subs and start over but I know some deals are limited to new (never before) subscribers.

Quote Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
    I don't have the bundle and am wondering if I could get it at this point. I've had Hulu for three years, added ESPN+ early this year for soccer and some NBA and just last month added Disney for Hamilton. Anyone know if it is possible to combine existing subscriptions into a bundle? In theory I could end all subs and start over but I know some deals are limited to new (never before) subscribers.
    Here's a link detailing what you'll need to do from cnet.

Short version: It appears you need to use the same email for all 3 services, and then you sign up for the bundle through the Disney+ website (read the article for the full details, I want no responsibility here as I have not tried it myself!) It is definitely not limited to new customers, the key just making sure the bundle links to your existing accounts.

One caveat, the bundle only allows the ad-supported version of Hulu. If you have the (more expensive) Ad-Free Hulu subscription you have to keep them separate (or give up your ad-free status).

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Unorthodox - Netflix - Esty, a 19-year-old Jewish woman, is living unhappily in an arranged marriage among an ultra-Orthodox community in Williamsburg, Brooklyn. She runs away to Berlin, where her estranged mother lives, and tries to navigate a secular life, discovering life outside her community and rejecting all of the beliefs she grew up with. Her husband, who learns that she is pregnant, travels to Berlin with his cousin, by order of their rabbi, to try to find her.
    I forgot to include this one on my list. I agree it is excellent, as is the Making Of short documentary that goes with it.

Started watching Euphoria. Yikes. Not a pretty portrait of t
    “Kids these days”.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke79UNLV77 View Post
    I forgot to include this one on my list. I agree it is excellent, as is the Making Of short documentary that goes with it.
    Unorthodox was nominated for 3 Emmy awards, best limited series, best actress in a limited series, and it won best directing in a limited series. It is truly remarkable for a non-HBO/Network show that is mostly not in English to achieve this is truly remarkable. It is easily one of the best things I have seen on TV during these pandemic times. I expect the least actress, Shira Haas, to be a significant force in the acting world for a long time.

Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Started watching Euphoria. Yikes. Not a pretty portrait of t
    “Kids these days”.
    Yeah. I'm fairly libertine, but I watched two episodes and it made me queasy.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Yeah. I'm fairly libertine, but I watched two episodes and it made me queasy.
    I take it you didn’t finish the season? When it’s not being gratuitous and sensationalist, there are some wonderfully acted and realized characters and I wouldn’t mind continuing for those reasons but some of it is a bit much for me, too...

...not because I don’t think the issues portrayed are real but just all smashed into a short period like that is an onslaught.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Finished "Away" last night. Happy I stuck with it, looking forward to season 2.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

I'm really surprised you haven't seen this series! Season one is a tour de force by Billy Bob. Really fascinating television.

Season two was not as captivating to me as one, and I sorta pooped out on season three, but four seems to be pretty impressive thus far.

Do yourself a favor and go back and binge season one.
    All this talk has gotten me motivated to watch Fargo, and Billy Bob is pretty spectacular (I'm on episode 9). I will say I've already gotten tired of the "true story" text at the beginning of every episode though.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    I take it you didn’t finish the season? When it’s not being gratuitous and sensationalist, there are some wonderfully acted and realized characters and I wouldn’t mind continuing for those reasons but some of it is a bit much for me, too...

...not because I don’t think the issues portrayed are real but just all smashed into a short period like that is an onslaught.
    I definitely didn't finish. Too many other quality things to watch that don't make me feel horrible inside.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Unorthodox was nominated for 3 Emmy awards, best limited series, best actress in a limited series, and it won best directing in a limited series. It is truly remarkable for a non-HBO/Network show that is mostly not in English to achieve this is truly remarkable. It is easily one of the best things I have seen on TV during these pandemic times. I expect the least actress, Shira Haas, to be a significant force in the acting world for a long time.
    She also plays the daughter in Shtisel, one of the other shows I mentioned up-thread, and is excellent in that as well.
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

I'm really surprised you haven't seen this series! Season one is a tour de force by Billy Bob. Really fascinating television.

Season two was not as captivating to me as one, and I sorta pooped out on season three, but four seems to be pretty impressive thus far.

Do yourself a favor and go back and binge season one.
    I just powered through seasons 1-3. I thought season 1 was excellent. Season 2 I thought was really good story-wise, but I didn't really like any of the characters so it was hard to really get wrapped up in what was going on (all of the characters were pretty unlikable, unlike season 1 where even the completely awful people were "likeable" to some extent). Season 3 had the opposite problem (back to having some likable characters that I could find myself rooting for, but the story was kind of meh and the wrong people got killed off).

Starting up on season 4 now, looking forward to seeing Chris Rock.

I've been given an assignment! My daughter, a senior in H.S. , wants to do an art project that has to do with a post-apocalyptic world. She wants to watch some movies to give her some inspiration. She has tasked me to choose the movies. So I need some suggestions. If we were watching one Mad Max, which one? The Road? Waterworld? Planet of the Apes? Come on guys, help me out here.

Remember, nothing about the actual apocalypse, just the aftermath...
    "That young man has an extra step on his ladder the rest of us just don't have."

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Nrrrrvous View Post
    I've been given an assignment! My daughter, a senior in H.S. , wants to do an art project that has to do with a post-apocalyptic world. She wants to watch some movies to give her some inspiration. She has tasked me to choose the movies. So I need some suggestions. If we were watching one Mad Max, which one? The Road? Waterworld? Planet of the Apes? Come on guys, help me out here.

Remember, nothing about the actual apocalypse, just the aftermath...
    A Boy And His Dog
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    A Boy And His Dog
    Oh my. I just watched the trailer for that. That looks... um, interesting. Don Johnson and a talking dog. How have I missed out on this movie my entire life?
    "That young man has an extra step on his ladder the rest of us just don't have."

Quote Originally Posted by Nrrrrvous View Post
    Oh my. I just watched the trailer for that. That looks... um, interesting. Don Johnson and a talking dog. How have I missed out on this movie my entire life?
    HA!
    It's definitely different. And being that it is for an art project, how the movie treats costuming is far different than the direction some other post-apocalyptic movies such as Mad Max go is worth checking out. It's one of those movies that I enjoy from start to finish. Has a really fun twist at the end, too!