Page 15 of 165 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565115 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Nepos View Post
    1. Fortitude, not a big fan (see below). Trapped is similar and better in my opinion.

2. I don't know that one, but the more like horror, the less interest on my end.

Yes, Fortitude, thanks! I’ll hope to find Trapped. My viewing is limited (by my own choice) to over-the-air (PBS Mystery, etc.) plus the surprisingly good selection available from my local public library. I’m always 6-12 months behind, and have access to some, but not lots, of foreign offerings. Serendipitously found “Years and Years” last week in the “new” section of DVDs. Had never heard of it, but some librarian had.

By “horrific” I intended “shocking,” not horror film. I’m not usually a horror film fan, either, but I’ve certainly watched a few in recent years, e.g., Get Out, The Babaduke [not correct spelling, but correct sp gets wankerized!], Room, Don’t Breathe, A Quiet Place, and the DirecTV original, Mr. Mercedes.

Quote Originally Posted by gumbomoop View Post
    Yes, Fortitude, thanks! I’ll hope to find Trapped. My viewing is limited (by my own choice) to over-the-air (PBS Mystery, etc.) plus the surprisingly good selection available from my local public library. I’m always 6-12 months behind, and have access to some, but not lots, of foreign offerings. Serendipitously found “Years and Years” last week in the “new” section of DVDs. Had never heard of it, but some librarian had.

By “horrific” I intended “shocking,” not horror film. I’m not usually a horror film fan, either, but I’ve certainly watched a few in recent years, e.g., Get Out, The Babaduke [not correct spelling, but correct sp gets wankerized!], Room, Don’t Breathe, A Quiet Place, and the DirecTV original, Mr. Mercedes.
    If your library access is like mine and it includes free access via the online app Hoopla, then you should have access to the Montalbano series I referenced. As much, or more, about Italy than crime drama, and very quirky, but rewarding if you find yourself enjoying it after a few episodes. A bit like the Aussie series Jack Irish (I'm a big fan) referenced above.

I did not answer your earlier question about Scott and Bailey. I've seen the final season and, like you referenced, did not like it as much. Enjoyed the series, though, so did not regret watching the last season.

Quote Originally Posted by Stray Gator View Post
    We're avid fans of murder/detective mysteries from the British, including Grantchester, Hinterland, Miss Marple (starring Joan Hickson), and Poirot (starring David Suchet), as well as the lighter touch of Midsomer Murders (especially the episodes starring John Nettles) and Father Brown; we also enjoy similar programming from our Australian friends, including Jack Irish, Doctor Blake, and the lighter fare of Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries. But in our judgment, Endeavour stands in a class by itself for consistently captivating stories with near-perfectly tailored scripts, superb acting from the top to the bottom of the cast, spectacular cinematography (particularly the imagery in transitions), all masterfully orchestrated beneath a musical score that seems magically woven from a mix of classical and opera. In a word, Endeavour is . . . well, . . . brilliant!

I'm glad to learn that there are others here who share our guilty pleasure in this genre.
    May we chat about Endeavour?

Brilliant, yes, and for the reasons you cite. Sometimes I think it’s better than Morse and Lewis because of Fred Thursday, Superintendent Bright, and the multiple near-misses between Endeavour and Joan Thursday. But it’s more than that, as you note. Each episode has several stories going on: murder, sometimes murders, sometimes one killer, sometimes more than one. Then there are season-long themes, e.g., Eddie Nero v. Cromwell Ames. Also overall how Endeavour became Morse.

Speaking of which, I assume the final season of 3-4 episodes will stop in 1971-72. Need 15 years or so for us to suspend disbelief and imagine Shaun Evans could mature into looking a little like John Thaw. Or is that quite irrelevant?

The “easter eggs” that link Endeavour to Morse are fun. I enjoy the ongoing sub-theme of how Jim Strange bypassed Endeavour to become his “guvner” 15 years later in Morse. Part of it was the Masons, a lot of it was Strange’s desk-butt-work.

Did anyone know this: Very early Endeavour episode — “Rocket” — has multiple references to the wonderful 1959 Brit comedy, “I’m All Right Jack.” Character names, setting, etc.

1. Fortitude, not a big fan (see below). Trapped is similar and better in my opinion.

2. I don't know that one, but the more like horror, the less interest on my end.
    Re:#2, it looks like that was the beginning of the DCI Banks series. I watched and liked the first few seasons, but stopped watching it at some point when it stopped being particularly interesting to me.

Two words:

Cobra Freaking Kai

OK, that's three words. But if you haven't seen it, start watching it tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Udaman View Post
    Two words:

Cobra Freaking Kai

OK, that's three words. But if you haven't seen it, start watching it tonight.
    Yes. Almost finished with Season One. It's equal parts nostalgic, fan service, and a sweet story.

Re:#2, it looks like that was the beginning of the DCI Banks series. I watched and liked the first few seasons, but stopped watching it at some point when it stopped being particularly interesting to me.
    Ah, yes, that’s it! Your memory and research skills have solved it. I racked my brain, and years ago had recorded much of Banks, but my memory failed. Looked up 8-10 titles, missed Banks. Drove me crazy.

As the old saw has it, “That’s no drive, that’s a short putt.”

By season 2 or 3 of Banks, “Doc Martin’s” Caroline Catz had joined Banks’s team. Stern, by-the-book character. Harder person than Louisa in Doc M.

Brilliant, yes, and for the reasons you cite. Sometimes I think it’s better than Morse and Lewis because of Fred Thursday, Superintendent Bright, and the multiple near-misses between Endeavour and Joan Thursday. But it’s more than that, as you note. Each episode has several stories going on: murder, sometimes murders, sometimes one killer, sometimes more than one. Then there are season-long themes, e.g., Eddie Nero v. Cromwell Ames. Also overall how Endeavour became Morse.

Speaking of which, I assume the final season of 3-4 episodes will stop in 1971-72. Need 15 years or so for us to suspend disbelief and imagine Shaun Evans could mature into looking a little like John Thaw. Or is that quite irrelevant?

The “easter eggs” that link Endeavour to Morse are fun. I enjoy the ongoing sub-theme of how Jim Strange bypassed Endeavour to become his “guvner” 15 years later in Morse. Part of it was the Masons, a lot of it was Strange’s desk-butt-work.

Did anyone know this: Very early Endeavour episode — “Rocket” — has multiple references to the wonderful 1959 Brit comedy, “I’m All Right Jack.” Character names, setting, etc.
    My wife and I have started watching the "Endeavour" series and have enjoyed the first few episodes. Like many British productions, it is very well written, produced, and acted. Definitely worth watching.

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this previously in this thread, but we LOVED the British series "Foyle's War", about a detective in the south of England during WW II. Brilliantly written, produced and acted, it was very entertaining and informative to watch. Debuted in 2002 and going until 2015, there were 8 "seasons" and about 28 episodes in total. They did a great job of weaving real world, World War II facts and info into the story lines (I saw an interview with the head writer who said that he would read 4 or 5 books about the war and war effort before he wrote each episode). Michael Kitchen, who played the lead detective, "Foyle", was just brilliant in the role. Very, very highly recommended. It is on Amazon Prime.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foyle%27s_War

. . . By season 2 or 3 of Banks, “Doc Martin’s” Caroline Catz had joined Banks’s team. Stern, by-the-book character. Harder person than Louisa in Doc M.
    We loved Doc Martin! Unfortunately, none of the local stations here in Orlando airs the show; but I'm pretty sure we saw all of the episodes before we moved last year. We even visited Port Isaac in June of 2018 and spent a few nights at the Old School Hotel, which was the set for Louisa's classroom. The village and the hotel are even more charming than they appear in the series.

IMG_20180623_163209 -- View from the South West Coast Path across the harbor to the east side of.jpgIMG_20180622_181820 -- On Roscarrock Hill street near the entrance to Port Isaac Pottery, in Por.jpgIMG_20180624_220729 -- Sunset behind the Old School Hotel, at Port Isaac, Cornwall.jpgIMG_20180623_141405 -- View across the harbor towards the hill on the west side of Port Isaac, C.jpgIMG_20180623_222044 -- Full moon over Port Isaac, Cornwall.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by duke79 View Post
    My wife and I have started watching the "Endeavour" series and have enjoyed the first few episodes. Like many British productions, it is very well written, produced, and acted. Definitely worth watching.

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this previously in this thread, but we LOVED the British series "Foyle's War", a...
    I second these, with one caveat ... While I was utterly in the tank for Endeavour from the outset, it lost its hold on me after 2-3 seasons, though I continued to watch. The most recent season has righted the ship in my eyes. YMMV.

Turning to something completely different, The Social Dilemma (a documentary) on Netflix was quite good - and important. I recommend everyone watch it. Try to forgive the dramatic interpretation that is interspersed throughout the interviews. Many people understandably find that part corny, but it does illustrate important points brought up by the interviewees - who include Tristan Harris, Roger McNamee, Shoshana Zuboff, Jonathan Haidt, Jaron Lanier, and many others. It's ~105 min.

We loved Doc Martin! Unfortunately, none of the local stations here in Orlando airs the show; but I'm pretty sure we saw all of the episodes before we moved last year. We even visited Port Isaac in June of 2018 and spent a few nights at the Old School Hotel, which was the set for Louisa's classroom. The village and the hotel are even more charming than they appear in the series.

IMG_20180623_163209 -- View from the South West Coast Path across the harbor to the east side of.jpgIMG_20180622_181820 -- On Roscarrock Hill street near the entrance to Port Isaac Pottery, in Por.jpgIMG_20180624_220729 -- Sunset behind the Old School Hotel, at Port Isaac, Cornwall.jpgIMG_20180623_141405 -- View across the harbor towards the hill on the west side of Port Isaac, C.jpgIMG_20180623_222044 -- Full moon over Port Isaac, Cornwall.jpg
    I enjoyed the pics. Doc M is my favorite Britcom after Fawlty Towers, and there are lots of hilarious Britcoms.

I’m pretty disappointed you didn’t invite me along. I may have to write you out of my will.

And if you’ve also visited the Gleneagles Hotel in Torquay, site of Basil’s escapades, you’re definitely gone.

I think there will be at least another season of Doc M, just possibly more.

A couple new reviews of films coming to Netflix:

You will probably find it hard to watch, but if you can get past the violence and bleak outlook, there are some remarkable performances in Netflix's The Devil All The Time starring Tom Holland, Bill Skarsgard, Jason Clark, Sebastian Stan, Riley Keiogh, and Robert Pattinson. Here is my 100-word-review: https://flixchat.blogspot.com/2020/0...tflixs_16.html

The intensity and humanity the actors bring to the screen injects a sense of honesty into what could have easily descended into farcical evil.

And you won't find a movie more different from the bleak Devil All The Time than Enola Holmes, starring Millie Bobbie Brown, Helena Bonham Carter, and Henry Cavill. It is cute but pretty thin on substance. My 100 words... https://flixchat.blogspot.com/2020/0...-netflixs.html

The film lags a bit in the back half as it shifts between mysteries and rushes the detective work in a way that prevents us from putting the clues together ourselves.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

You and Stray have gotten my attention with your discussion of Happy Valley and Endeavour series. I've been watching re-runs of Murdoch Mysteries, Midsummer and Line of Duty. Where can I catch Happy Valley and Endeavour? Not the same type show but I'm looking forward to the next "Fargo" which should be aired sometime in 2012.

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    You and Stray have gotten my attention with your discussion of Happy Valley and Endeavour series. I've been watching re-runs of Murdoch Mysteries, Midsummer and Line of Duty. Where can I catch Happy Valley and Endeavour? Not the same type show but I'm looking forward to the next "Fargo" which should be aired sometime in 2012.
    https://youtu.be/I4ISTHi45_s

Assuming I understand you correctly...

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    https://youtu.be/I4ISTHi45_s

Assuming I understand you correctly...
    Fargo in 2021 not 2012. I don't have a time machine but sometimes I wish I did.

My point is that Fargo starts this month and has a great cast.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    My point is that Fargo starts this month and has a great cast.
    Thanks. I thought I read it would be next year. I'll be looking for it.

Endeavour episodes are aired weekly during the season on PBS stations as part of the Masterpiece Series, but can also be streamed on demand from Prime Video. Seasons 1-6 are currently included with an Amazon Prime membership; Season 7 is available for purchase.

We loved Doc Martin! Unfortunately, none of the local stations here in Orlando airs the show; but I'm pretty sure we saw all of the episodes before we moved last year.
    Old business. I meant to ask you about Orlando PBS not offering Doc Martin. Huh? Do you mean they aren’t showing reruns these days, just waiting for the next new series. Or do you mean they’ve never shown it? I’d be puzzled, shocked even, if the latter were the case, as PBS viewers love, love, love Britcoms, and Doc M is famously among the most popular, beloved of all time.

A total of 9 series/70 episodes have been shown. Supposedly we’ll get one final series, whenever filming can resume.

Thanks. I thought I read it would be next year. I'll be looking for it.
    Jason Schwartz man, Chris Rock, Timothy Olyphant and (why not?) Andrew Bird?

I'll be looking for it too!