Page 13 of 164 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363113 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    I might be stuck with it. My middle son is absolutely crazy to see it. I told him before Jason's review that he'll be disappointed, but I expect to be overruled.

I heard (and now read) if your son can wait three months, you can get Mulan with a Disney+ subscription on December 4
    Last edited by PSurprise; 09-03-2020 at 02:48 PM. Reason: hyperlink formatting

Quote Originally Posted by PSurprise View Post
    I heard (and now read) if your son can wait three months, you can get Mulan with a Disney+ subscription on December 4
    If we can get it for free (already have Disney+ primarily for his benefit), we'll gently make him understand that waiting is not optional.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Kdogg View Post
    Sean Parker (of Napster fame) tried to do that a few years ago but got nowhere. There is a company call Prima Cinema that offers the service. It’s $500 per movie, per date plus $35,000 for the base equipment and setup.
    Does Prima Cinema actually make money? I'm not paying $40K to watch a movie.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    I made the mistake of diving back in to "Primeval" on Hulu last night. It came out in 2007 on BBC, and I remember watching a few episodes but didn't stick with it back then.

So last night I tuned in and started watching at 10:30. I'm paying today for not going to sleep until 3am. It's fun, has impressive acting, and even almost 15 years later the SFX still hold water. Think Jurassic Park, but in serial TV format, and done with intelligent scripts. Five seasons, but as with most British shows, a "season" is only 7 or so episodes.

a497beac48ba1b159e4fe56a44560257.jpg
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    No idea. I’m definitely not in the target market.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kdogg View Post
    No idea. I’m definitely not in the target market.
    I would guess this is for the rich and famous who want to watch movies when they are released but don't want to go to a public theater. So, for example, maybe Keith Richards might buy one. I would guess they are low volume but with a high profit margin.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    I would guess this is for the rich and famous who want to watch movies when they are released but don't want to go to a public theater. So, for example, maybe Keith Richards might buy one. I would guess they are low volume but with a high profit margin.
    Could you imagine watching one of those movies that is just so mind blowing, or so confusing, that you need to see it twice?

"Uhhh..can you leave this set up til Tuesday? (Good band name, btw) I didn't quite catch all of that."

"No prob, meter's running."
    "Can I play you a song for a discount? I'll get Mick on the phone for lyrics."

Sour Grapes (2016?) on Netflix is really interesting and pretty well done. It's the story of wine forger Rudy Kurniawan.

Have begun re-watching Hinterland with the woman to whom I'm related by marriage. Hinterland is often compared to Scandinavian noir: bleak, but captivating and tense. So beautifully shot, with well-drawn, realistic characters. Highly recommended.

My son chose the movie last night - Grand Piano (2013) with Elijah Wood, John Cusack, Alex Winter (actually took me most of the movie to figure out where I knew him from)

I'm curious if anyone else has seen it and what they thought of it. It generally gets favorable reviews. For me, there were too many "Yeah, right, that would happen" moments.

Anyone?
    "That young man has an extra step on his ladder the rest of us just don't have."

Quote Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
    I watched it 3 times over two nights when it came out. Great concept film.
    Quote Originally Posted by dball View Post
    Great movie. Especially considering the internal tatoos we make.
    Quote Originally Posted by freshmanjs View Post
    We've been going through the Nolan catalog. Just watched The Prestige and really loved it.
    Just in time for Tenet -

All Nolan films ranked...
    "That young man has an extra step on his ladder the rest of us just don't have."

Quote Originally Posted by Nrrrrvous View Post
    Just in time for Tenet -

All Nolan films ranked...
    That list has them like this:

11. Insomnia
    10. Following (I have never seen this, I have heard about it but never seen it)
    9. Interstellar
    8. Dark Knight Rises
    7. Tenet (have not seen it yet either)
    6. Batman Begins
    5. The Prestige
    4. Dunkirk
    3. The Dark Knight
    2. Inception
    1. Memento

I like that list a lot. In fact, I would only make a couple small changes. I would rank them like this (I am excluding Following and Tenet)

9. Insomnia
    8. Interstellar
    7. Dark Knight Rises
    6. Dunkirk
    5. Batman Begins
    4. The Prestige
    3. Inception
    2. The Dark Knight
    1. Memento

-Jason "I can see arguments for putting any of the top 3 in the #1 slot" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post

11. Insomnia
    9. Interstellar
    8. Dark Knight Rises
    6. Batman Begins
    5. The Prestige
    4. Dunkirk
    3. The Dark Knight
    2. Inception
    1. Memento

I like that list a lot. In fact, I would only make a couple small changes. I would rank them like this (I am excluding Following and Tenet)

9. Insomnia
    8. Interstellar
    7. Dark Knight Rises
    6. Dunkirk
    5. Batman Begins
    4. The Prestige
    3. Inception
    2. The Dark Knight
    1. Memento

Contrarian take:

8. Dark Knight Rises
    7. Interstellar
    6. Dunkirk
    5. The Dark Knight
    4. The Prestige
    3. Memento
    2. Batman Begins
    1. Inception

Had I seen more Nolan movies DKR would probably be further down.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post

11. Insomnia
    9. Interstellar
    8. Dark Knight Rises
    6. Batman Begins
    5. The Prestige
    4. Dunkirk
    3. The Dark Knight
    2. Inception
    1. Memento

9. Insomnia
    8. Interstellar
    7. Dark Knight Rises
    6. Dunkirk
    5. Batman Begins
    4. The Prestige
    3. Inception
    2. The Dark Knight
    1. Memento

Following is worth watching. Suspenseful and has a cool story. It’s interesting to see how he was already trying the techniques that would become his hallmarks. The acting is amazingly bad, though, as it was just friends doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Contrarian take:

8. Dark Knight Rises
    7. Interstellar
    6. Dunkirk
    5. The Dark Knight
    4. The Prestige
    3. Memento
    2. Batman Begins
    1. Inception

Had I seen more Nolan movies DKR would probably be further down.
    Ehhh, I dunno if it is that contrarian. Sure, some differences from mine, but not like the differences are huge. And, FWIW, I sorta agree that I (and others) overrate DKR a bit because we are so enamored of DK. The back half of DKR is... well... messy at best.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Just watched The Grand Budapest Hotel, ashamed that it took this long to see it. Absolutely brilliant.

mrs pie and i have enjoyed:

seasons 1-3 Dexter

The Boys (1 and 2)

The Umbrella Academy (1&2)

Criminal Minds (1 only, so far)

Supernatural (1&2)

The Gentlemen (twice - all guy ritchie movies...)

The azz.-kicking Nun (1)

Extraction (thor's)
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

I notice a number of user reviews of Tenet mention the poor sound mix and often unintelligible dialog. Well, welcome to my world! I never go to the movies without asking for one of those closed caption devices.

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    mrs pie and i have enjoyed:

The Boys (1 and 2)

)
    Just binged on season one and the first episodes of two.

I’ve only read the initial story of the comics, but I think they’ve done an excellent job of capturing the tone/story (Americanizing most of the characters that were originally British other than keeping Butcher.). The casting is excellent, including casting Simon Pegg as the older Hugh Campbell, since he was the model for the artist for the younger Hughie back in the day. Not for the faint of heart (or ears), it’s definitely a Garth Ennis book!

Having not read the comics until this week, it reminds me of the Wild Card series that’s also supposedly in development as a series (Hulu.). I think some will believe Wild Cards is a rip-off of The Boys, even though it’s about twenty years older. (There’s not the corporate angle in Wild Cards, though.)

The first Dune trailer is out.

Quote Originally Posted by DU82 View Post
    Just binged on season one and the first episodes of two.
    I'm waiting to start season two after a few more episodes are released, that way I don't have to wait a week for each. I'm totally curious, who did the laser-eyes-into-the-skull death first, The Boys or Brightburn?