Page 11 of 164 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast

Aaarrrgggggg

The DirecTV satellite took a lightning strike last night!
    Now, compounded by the storm rolling up the coast, we may be days away from tv. I'm never ashamed to admit that I love tv.
    If I miss the last episode of Perry Mason I'll be bummed! I've developed quite a crush on Matthew Rhys.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    Now, compounded by the storm rolling up the coast, we may be days away from tv. I'm never ashamed to admit that I love tv.
    If I miss the last episode of Perry Mason I'll be bummed! I've developed quite a crush on Matthew Rhys.
    Rooting for you weezie that you'll be able to watch the last episode of Perry Mason. Watching tv is taking up most of our idle time. If we couldn't watch tv, I guess I'd have to teach my wife how to play chess.

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    I'm also enjoying Perry Mason. I know it is slow paced for some but like you I'm a big Rhys fan. And the rest of the cast is fantastic -- Lithgow, Maslany, Stephen Root (Barnes/DA), Shea Whigham (Mason sidekick)... Add in the great sets and costuming. Wish it was released in bunches though, even if just 3 episodes at a time. I've gotten used to bingeing; hard to go back to the 1 ep per week format.

Quote Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
    ...I've gotten used to bingeing; hard to go back to the 1 ep per week format.
    Lol, husband-of-weezie and I consider ourselves real intellectuals when we agreed to watch single episodes only when the Wuhan began. Strict discipline!
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

The Alienist season finale.

I finished watching the last of season 2 of the Alienist and it didn't disappoint. This TV show is based on the real life story of Isabella Goodwin who was the first female detective in NY city. Hired by then police commissioner Teddy Roosevelt. Hoping for season 3 probably in 2022.

I saw an actress on Jimmy Fallon last night saying production of their tv show (Riverdale) is restarting in September. She said she had to do a 2 week quarantine first. They will finish filming a couple of season ending episodes they didn’t get to in March and then go right into filming new season. I don’t care about Riverdale but at least new tv content is resuming. If NBA can do it why not Hollywood, right?

Watched the movie Memento (2000?) last night. First time I had seen it since it came out. Early, lower budget, Christopher Nolan. Worth a watch if you've never seen it or, in my case, it's been 20 years.
    "That young man has an extra step on his ladder the rest of us just don't have."

Quote Originally Posted by Nrrrrvous View Post
    Watched the movie Memento (2000?) last night. First time I had seen it since it came out. Early, lower budget, Christopher Nolan. Worth a watch if you've never seen it or, in my case, it's been 20 years.
    I watched it 3 times over two nights when it came out. Great concept film.

Quote Originally Posted by 79-77 View Post
    "The Last Kingdom" on Netflix is a sorta poor man's Game of Thrones. It's not as good as peak GoT, but it's pretty good, and if you're jonesing for something GoT-like, it might scratch your itch.
    Just started season 3 and I am loving this show. Thanks for the recommendation!
    Kyle gets BUCKETS!
    https://youtu.be/NJWPASQZqLc

Great movie. Especially considering the internal tatoos we make.

We've been going through the Nolan catalog. Just watched The Prestige and really loved it.

Quote Originally Posted by freshmanjs View Post
    We've been going through the Nolan catalog. Just watched The Prestige and really loved it.
    Leave you thinking, doesn't it? Stands up to repeated viewing.

Another good one, similar theme, from the same year. is The Illusionist, with Edward Norton, Jessica Biel, Paul Giamatti, Rufus Sewell. IMO, it's not as mindbending as the Prestige, but it's highly enjoyable nonetheless. At least for one viewing.

Quote Originally Posted by Devilwin View Post
    Been in a Gregory Peck mood lately. Watched Pork Chop Hill ...
    Pork chops? Someone feeling ... Peckish?

Quote Originally Posted by cspan37421 View Post

Another good one, similar theme, from the same year. is The Illusionist, with Edward Norton, Jessica Biel, Paul Giamatti, Rufus Sewell. IMO, it's not as mindbending as the Prestige, but it's highly enjoyable nonetheless. At least for one viewing.
    What the Illusionist fails to do that The Prestige does nicely is explain the mysteries it is exploring. In Thr Illusionist, he just performs magic that is seemingly impossible. That is why I liked The Prestige better... though both are fun and quite rewatchable.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    What the Illusionist fails to do that The Prestige does nicely is explain the mysteries it is exploring. In Thr Illusionist, he just performs magic that is seemingly impossible. That is why I liked The Prestige better... though both are fun and quite rewatchable.
    I watched both back when they first came out. I think it may be time for a return showing.
    "That young man has an extra step on his ladder the rest of us just don't have."

Quote Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
    I saw an actress on Jimmy Fallon last night saying production of their tv show (Riverdale) is restarting in September. She said she had to do a 2 week quarantine first. They will finish filming a couple of season ending episodes they didn’t get to in March and then go right into filming new season. I don’t care about Riverdale but at least new tv content is resuming. If NBA can do it why not Hollywood, right?
    They are doing table reads and prep for the Leverage reboot (sans Hutton). The cast has been together for a couple weeks and I saw a picture of the table reading last week. They were seated at tables in a semi-circle, with face shields, sanitizer bottles and computers at least six feet apart. They are giving it a go.

My daughter (the one who is a first-year at Duke) has an uncanny ability to predict what is going to happen in movies. She uses visual and audio cues that I never pick up on.

When we watched The Prestige, within about 15 minutes,
    Spoiler!

It's impressive, but also drives me a bit insane

My daughter (the one who is a first-year at Duke) has an uncanny ability to predict what is going to happen in movies. She uses visual and audio cues that I never pick up on.

When we watched The Prestige, within about 15 minutes,
    Spoiler!

It's impressive, but also drives me a bit insane
    My college roommate and I used to do this all the time with procedural crime shows (CSI, especially). We got pretty good at it.

Here is my 100-word-review of the Netflix TV series, Hoops.

http://flixchat.blogspot.com/2020/08...-netflixs.html

I’m just not sure what the point of the whole thing was… other than a desperate attempt to break the record of swearing in an animated TV series
    Hoops-teaser-e1595264270721.jpg
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Here is my 100-word-review of the Netflix TV series, Hoops.

http://flixchat.blogspot.com/2020/08...-netflixs.html

I’m just not sure what the point of the whole thing was… other than a desperate attempt to break the record of swearing in an animated TV series
    Hoops-teaser-e1595264270721.jpg
    So your one hundred word review has 72 swear words?

-jk