Page 49 of 162 FirstFirst ... 3947484950515999149 ... LastLast
    Finishing up Part Two of Lupin on Netflix. Very good television.

We've been watching Big Shot on Disney+. In the latest episode Coach Korn (Stamos) visits UC Santa Barbara. Now I've never been to UCSB, but their basketball facilities look awfully familiar...

bigshot-cameron2.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by PensDevil View Post
    We've been watching Big Shot on Disney+. In the latest episode Coach Korn (Stamos) visits UC Santa Barbara. Now I've never been to UCSB, but their basketball facilities look awfully familiar...

bigshot-cameron2.jpg
    Is the stadium named Korn Indoor Stadium? Or do they just play on lowly Coach Korn Court?
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Our local movie theaters are not open, but since the Gov opened up stuff yesterday, I hope that changes...my wife and I love our geezer midweek matinees, no one in the theater, very comfy and quiet.

Finished the second part of Lupin. Very satisfying. Excellent television.

Enjoyed the 1st season - will start on 2nd season soon.

Don't waste your money on The Hitman's Wife's Bodyguard. I found the original to be kinda funny and fun... but this one doesn't really come close to that.

https://flixchat.blogspot.com/2021/0...s-hitmans.html

Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
    Enjoyed the 1st season - will start on 2nd season soon.
    There's one nit pick I have with the recent episodes,but it's also a major spoiler, so...

"Legend of Cocaine Island" on Netflix. Entertaining doc. "You ain't gonna believe this sh..." well you know.
    "You" on Netflix. Disturbed young man runs book store among other activities. Got this title from Wendell and his chat with Bilas.
    A bit old, but we like "Justified" on Hulu. Raylan will shoot you.
    "Greater" on Netflix. Not a great production but a great story of determination.
    I think others have mentioned "Line of Duty" on Acorn.

Quote Originally Posted by roge054 View Post
    "Legend of Cocaine Island" on Netflix. Entertaining doc. "You ain't gonna believe this sh..." well you know.
    "You" on Netflix. Disturbed young man runs book store among other activities. Got this title from Wendell and his chat with Bilas.
    A bit old, but we like "Justified" on Hulu. Raylan will shoot you.
    "Greater" on Netflix. Not a great production but a great story of determination.
    I think others have mentioned "Line of Duty" on Acorn.
    I believe every bit of cocaine island!

https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/558602-12-million-of-cocaine-found-on-florida-beach-during-sea-turtle.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Can't wait to see it. I almost want to watch the first ones again to get fresh, but don't want to miss the 2nd installment!

Quote Originally Posted by cspan37421 View Post
    Can't wait to see it. I almost want to watch the first ones again to get fresh, but don't want to miss the 2nd installment!
    We actually did that. We watched episode six, then decided we needed to rewatch one through five.

I tried to pace myself but watched all five in two nights. The only bad thing about Lupin is the episode count. I need more!
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

We actually did that. We watched episode six, then decided we needed to rewatch one through five.
    Whew… glad Im not the only on who has to do things like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
    Whew… glad Im not the only on who has to do things like that.
    Last night we watched the first two episodes of Part 2 of Lupin. Definitely entertaining, but to me, also falling short of great. There are plot elements that don't make logical sense. I'll use an example from the end of E2 in the spoiler tag below, but generally, it makes me SMH when you have a clever and highly resourceful protagonist, who seems think 2-3 steps ahead, making a boneheaded mistake. It just doesn't compute, but it happens not infrequently.

Spoiler!

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    In the Loki thread I mentioned that I was checking out some of the legacy animation from Marvel on Disney+. As stated there, most of it is not good, although some of it didn't put me to sleep. Mostly just a romp down history lane from afterschool cartoon TV.

Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes is different though, so I'm finally giving it a thumbs up in this thread. I am not sure what is shown on D+ is the same as it was a decade ago, at least as far as episode length or numerical order, but if it's not, then Disney got it right now. The first few episodes are character centric, meaning they introduce you, one at a time, to our good guys, such as Iron Man, Ant Man, Thor, Hulk, Captain America, blah blah blah.
    Being as such, it took me a while to get totally engaged, since each 30 minute episode truly is about one person, but also tosses in a few bad guys/good folks along the way. And that's the secret.

It's because these ancillary characters (or major ones) get brought in slowly, both good and bad, in a long stretching story arc, that I got sucked in. Toss in some really excellent voice work from a great cast (won't spoil, but do make a point to pause the credits at the end of each to see who you recognize) and even better writing, and you might find it worthwhile as well.

(Plus, as I mentioned in the Loki thread, you might get filled in on a thing or two.)
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Just finished Sweet Tooth. Wow! Excellent story! I cannot wait for season 2.

We just finished Hacks (via HBO Max), starring Jean Smart as an aging Vegas stand-up comedian that gets paired with a 20-something comedy writer. While the show had its moments, I feel like I'm still waiting for the payoff. Maybe I'm just spoiled by the comedic stand-up payoffs that Mrs. Maisel seemed to frequently deliver.

Quote Originally Posted by LasVegas View Post
    Just finished Sweet Tooth. Wow! Excellent story! I cannot wait for season 2.
    We just started it. I’m enjoying it. My wife is pretty over pandemics so doesn’t enjoy watching a show that features one as much as I do.

Quote Originally Posted by PensDevil View Post
    We just finished Hacks (via HBO Max), starring Jean Smart as an aging Vegas stand-up comedian that gets paired with a 20-something comedy writer. While the show had its moments, I feel like I'm still waiting for the payoff. Maybe I'm just spoiled by the comedic stand-up payoffs that Mrs. Maisel seemed to frequently deliver.
    I started watching Hacks based on the impressive IMDB user rating when it came out. I find IMDB ratings of 7.5+ tend to be decent and 8+ often very good. And Hacks was 8.5 at that time! After a couple episodes I realized this was not nearly as good as the ratings implied. I made mysel plow through ep 3 and gave up. I then went back to look at the individual user reviews. Most were clearly fake. Generic “best show ever” crap, with bunches of 10’s mixed in with a few real reviews.

Personally I thought the show had a lot of potential but didn’t quite work. Some clever lines but mostly boring - no payoff as you say. The chemistry between the leads just wasn’t there. I think it could have worked with a different actress playing the young ingenue. And better directing and editing and writing. Otherwise strong!