Page 20 of 164 FirstFirst ... 1018192021223070120 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Can you give a bit more in terms of criteria? Are you going for something that feels realistic or something entertaining? Do you want fun or sobering? There are a million possibilities...

In addition to obvious ones like the Mad Max films, there are some truly excellent pictures like Children of Men, Snowpiercer, 12 Monkeys, the original Planet of the Apes film and all three of the modern remakes, The Road, and perhaps the best of them all Wall*E.
    A few more...
    Soylent Green
    The Matrix
    Escape From New York
    28 Days Later
    Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    If you're going with post-apocalyptic Kevin Costner, The Postman works, too. How much money did that film lose just a couple years after Waterworld actually made money?
    Quote Originally Posted by luburch View Post
    A Quiet Place
    Zombieland
    Cloverfield/Cloverfield Lane
    Oblivion
    This Is the End

Wall-E, The Matrix and Snowpiercer are probably the best.
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    I think her art teacher is awesome.

By the way, while it's not post apocalyptic, my high school art teacher had us watch Blade Runner. In class. Uncensored. (Even after getting a BFA, my high school teacher was the most influential on me throughout my whole art career, still to this day. He taught me to see differently.)
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDukie View Post
    Here’s my list:

Logan’s Run
    No Blade of Grass
    Blade Runner
    On the Beach
    Soylent Green
    A Boy and his Dog
    Planet of the Apes
    Quote Originally Posted by Kdogg View Post
    The serious ones have been mentioned.
    If she wants corny: Night of the Comet
    We started with Mad Max: Fury Road. She gave it a "10/10 but only for Furiosa". She did agree the visuals were "crazy and amazing". We might go with something a little "less" this weekend.
    "That young man has an extra step on his ladder the rest of us just don't have."

Quote Originally Posted by Nrrrrvous View Post
    We started with Mad Max: Fury Road. She gave it a "10/10 but only for Furiosa". She did agree the visuals were "crazy and amazing". We might go with something a little "less" this weekend.
    If you want less, but also really interesting look at post-apocalyptic Earth, I highly recommend Wall*E. The first half hour or so is nothing but nonstop amazing visuals. It would be a shame if your study did not include Children of Men, which is such an interesting concept and contains a couple long-take scenes with no edits that are just stupidly good directing.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

If you want less, but also really interesting look at post-apocalyptic Earth, I highly recommend Wall*E. The first half hour or so is nothing but nonstop amazing visuals. It would be a shame if your study did not include Children of Men, which is such an interesting concept and contains a couple long-take scenes with no edits that are just stupidly good directing.
    She has seen Wall-E quite a few times as it was in a steady rotation in the back seat DVD player as she was growing up. We've discussed it and I think she's going to go back and watch at least some of it (actually, she may have already). Children of Men is at the top of the list for the weekend. I haven't seen it since it came out so I'm looking forward to it also. She says she's running out of time so we will probably try to sneak a couple in.
    "That young man has an extra step on his ladder the rest of us just don't have."

Why do folks need dystopian movies when you have news channels?

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    To know what to do after the election.

(Don't worry, I checked. This sentiment works regardless of party affiliation.)

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    To raise their spirits?

Well, there is a new "best movie of the year" for this accursed year. I got a chance to see Aaron Sorkin's The Trial of the Chicago 7 and it was fabulous as well as being absolutely essential for our current times. With an absurd cast that includes Yahya Abdul-Mateen II, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Michael Keaton, Frank Langella, Michael Keaton, Eddie Redmayne, Mark Rylance, and Jeremy Strong, it is actually Sacha Baron Cohen who stands out the most with a stirring performance as Abbie Hoffman.

See it...

And here is the podcast I did along with my reviewing partner, Josh, on the film. We basically spend 15 minutes gushing nonstop: https://flixchat.blogspot.com/2020/0...-trial-of.html

Has anyone else given this a watch now that it is out? I watched it last night...thought it was really, really good. Agree with Jason that Sacha Baron Cohen stole the show as Abbie Hoffman. I almost felt like it could have been longer, it felt like the heat turned up towards the end and I wasn't quite ready for it to be over when it ended. Really interesting story as well, not one that I am terribly familiar with so I plan to do some reading on it to see how true-to-life the movie was.

(SIGH)

So, I just got back from vacation to find that my U-verse tv box has died and taken all my recordings with it. Several of the films mentioned in this thread included. Waiting for my new one so I can start all over. Poop.

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    So, I just got back from vacation to find that my U-verse tv box has died and taken all my recordings with it. Several of the films mentioned in this thread included. Waiting for my new one so I can start all over. Poop.
    Can you pull the hard drive out and move the films off manually?

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post

-jk
    Can this also be done with a DirecTV expander drive or is it encrypted?

-jk
    I don't know. I'm afraid to mess with it too much.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    Can this also be done with a DirecTV expander drive or is it encrypted?
    Sorry, can't speak to any particular device. Encryption will certainly complicate things! Despite what you see on TV shows, it's non-trivial to get past decent encryption.

It's why the FBI, et al, keeps asking for backdoors to be put in things - they got used to easy surveillance and don't want to work for a living! If they start putting backdoors in, my online banking/finance stuff will come to a screeching halt! But that's a different discussion...

With some systems (well, TiVo a while ago, anyway ) you can copy the encrypted files to a different drive and still access them from the original (TiVo) device. I couldn't do a thing with them outside the TiVo OS, though.

-jk

Sorry, can't speak to any particular device. Encryption will certainly complicate things! Despite what you see on TV shows, it's non-trivial to get past decent encryption.

It's why the FBI, et al, keeps asking for backdoors to be put in things - they got used to easy surveillance and don't want to work for a living! If they start putting backdoors in, my online banking/finance stuff will come to a screeching halt! But that's a different discussion...

With some systems (well, TiVo a while ago, anyway ) you can copy the encrypted files to a different drive and still access them from the original (TiVo) device. I couldn't do a thing with them outside the TiVo OS, though.

-jk
    Thanks, I’m afraid all the big players have sufficient encryption to keep customers captive. Just making sure I wasn’t missing something, since my wife says that happens daily.

Thanks, I’m afraid all the big players have sufficient encryption to keep customers captive. Just making sure I wasn’t missing something, since my wife says that happens daily.
    I think it's as much if not more for the content providers' protection. Studios don't want folks extracting movies and sharing them around.

-jk

I think it's as much if not more for the content providers' protection. Studios don't want folks extracting movies and sharing them around.

-jk
    Well, from my experiences, the studios completely gave away control when they stopped sending actual film to the cinemas.

Quote Originally Posted by freshmanjs View Post
    Looks like it has been cancelled after just the one season. We are enjoying it more as the season goes along...
    That sucks. It was a fun show.

Well, from my experiences, the studios completely gave away control when they stopped sending actual film to the cinemas.
    Studio business models are way outside my areas of expertise! Maybe Jason can help us out. I've heard they send the review copy of movies with the critic's name watermarked in it.

On the other hand, dvd extraction is fairly easy (for personal, archival use only of course).

-jk

Studio business models are way outside my areas of expertise! Maybe Jason can help us out. I've heard they send the review copy of movies with the critic's name watermarked in it.

On the other hand, dvd extraction is fairly easy (for personal, archival use only of course).
    Yes, the screeners I get (mostly streaming, not DVDs any more) all have markings on them that allow the studio to identify who it was provided to. If I shared any of them it would be morally wrong and if the studio were to find out, I would not get access to another screener ever again.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

The Netflix series, Away, which was heavily promoted and boasted some strong star power with Hillary Swank and Josh Charles, has been cancelled after only one season.

https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/net...ay-1234810392/

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    The Netflix series, Away, which was heavily promoted and boasted some strong star power with Hillary Swank and Josh Charles, has been cancelled after only one season.

https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/net...ay-1234810392/
    Well that sucks. As I posted above, I got sucked in after an episode or two and really liked it. (Even though I still wouldn't mind a character or two back on Earth blown out into space.)
    Oh well, while it's way lame that they cancelled, at least they closed with a great ending.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."