Page 48 of 165 FirstFirst ... 3846474849505898148 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Pro Tip - nearly nothing is "better than the first one." Even the classic examples (Godfather, Empire, T2, Aliens) are iffy at best to me.

Especially Aliens. Alien is almost a perfect film. Aliens is a cool action flick. Extremely different tone. "Better?" Not even close in my book.
    Agreed with the exception of Godfather 2, mainly because of the flashback scenes and Robert De Niro, which could stand on its own as a terrific movie.
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    I came across an interesting movie last night that I took a total chance on.

"Elizabeth Harvest" was worthwhile. It's about a genius billionaire, his wife, and his two servants. It turns out that his wife (Elizabeth) is one a few clones that he created after the original's death, and his ultimate wanting is to recreate their wedding night. I won't say much more to avoid spoilers, but it was really intriguing. There are only 5 characters in the movie total, and one of those is very brief, but still impactful.

Three quarters of the way through, I felt myself strongly reminded of the vampire movie "The Hunger", although there are no supernatural beings in this movie. The theme is strikingly similar, as well as the pacing.

It's on Netflix.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post

"Elizabeth Harvest" was worthwhile. It's about a genius billionaire, his wife, and his two servants. It turns out that his wife (Elizabeth) is one a few clones that he created after the original's death, and his ultimate wanting is to recreate their wedding night. I won't say much more to avoid spoilers, but it was really intriguing. There are only 5 characters in the movie total, and one of those is very brief, but still impactful.

Three quarters of the way through, I felt myself strongly reminded of the vampire movie "The Hunger", although there are no supernatural beings in this movie. The theme is strikingly similar, as well as the pacing.

It's on Netflix.
    The Hunger without Bowie?

Hrmmmm... Not so sure

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    The Hunger without Bowie?

Hrmmmm... Not so sure
    No Bauhaus either, but the score is a good one.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

It's on Netflix.
    Look, I've never seen it but Elizabeth Harvest gets just a 52% on Rotten Tomatoes and the audience score is a lousy 40%. Those are not good numbers. There are a lot of hidden gems on Netflix**, overlooked films that are truly special and just never got enough attention in mainstream release... maybe Elizabeth Harvest is one of them but there seems to be at least some evidence that it isn't.

-Jason "**- Stardust, About Time, Safety Not Guaranteed, Sound of My Voice, Nightcrawler, Blackfish, My Octopus Teacher, and Icarus all immediately come to mind..." Evans
    Last edited by JasonEvans; 06-10-2021 at 01:13 PM.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Anyone watch Brightburn? Kind of an alternate Superman film, exploring a young alien boy raised by a Midwestern couple gone wrong. Creepy horror film, but interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Look, I've never seen it but Elizabeth Harvest gets just a 52% on Rotten Tomatoes and the audience score is a lousy 40%. Those are not good numbers. There are a lot of hidden gems on Netflix**, overlooked films that are truly special and just never got enough attention in mainstream release... maybe Elizabeth Harvest is one of them but there seems to be at least some evidence that it isn't.

-Jason "**- Stardust, About Time, Safety Not Guaranteed, Sound of My Voice, Nightcrawler, Blackfish, My Octopus Teacher, and Icarus all immediately come to mind..." Evans
    Thanks for chipping in and letting us know about how the movie that you've never seen is completely lousy.
    I merely posted that I, however, did watch it, and that I enjoyed it, and that others may decide to do the same.

PS, the movie it reminded me of, The Hunger, has only 55% on RT, so I guess that one sucks too.
    Last edited by CameronBornAndBred; 06-11-2021 at 10:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDukie View Post
    Anyone watch Brightburn? Kind of an alternate Superman film, exploring a young alien boy raised by a Midwestern couple gone wrong. Creepy horror film, but interesting.
    I liked it. I found parts of it hard to watch; it gets pretty graphic, but the premise is good. It's also not an uncommon theme, "the bad Superman". Have you watched The Boys? Homelander is built upon the same premise, as is Omni Man in Invincible. (I was really surprised at how good Invincible is, somewhere up above I gave more thoughts on it.)

And, like Brightburn, both The Boys and Invincible are exceptionally graphic.

I liked it. I found parts of it hard to watch; it gets pretty graphic, but the premise is good. It's also not an uncommon theme, "the bad Superman". Have you watched The Boys? Homelander is built upon the same premise, as is Omni Man in Invincible. (I was really surprised at how good Invincible is, somewhere up above I gave more thoughts on it.)

And, like Brightburn, both The Boys and Invincible are exceptionally graphic.
    It definitely was graphic. A bit too much for my tastes. But at the same time, it did function well as a suspense/horror film exploring that ‘Superman gone bad’ premise. The choice to focus on the boy only being about 12 was a smart move. And the actor playing the role nailed his part, imho. I’ll look into the others you mentioned, even though I’m not a gore/horror fan.

We watched the latest installment in the Conjuring universe last night. Fun, good for a few scares but not as creepy as some of the others. Still like watching the Warrens which is what makes it a cut above most horror flicks.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDukie View Post
    It definitely was graphic. A bit too much for my tastes. But at the same time, it did function well as a suspense/horror film exploring that ‘Superman gone bad’ premise. The choice to focus on the boy only being about 12 was a smart move. And the actor playing the role nailed his part, imho. I’ll look into the others you mentioned, even though I’m not a gore/horror fan.
    Neither The Boys nor Invincible is horror, but some of their scenes can be a bit gory and gross. Invincible is animated, so it's illustrated gore. However, both are also really well written, and both are taken from the pages of the comic books that they originated from. (And both are produced by Seth Rogen, which is added bit of interest. He voices one of the minor characters in Invincible.)

Neither The Boys nor Invincible is horror, but some of their scenes can be a bit gory and gross. Invincible is animated, so it's illustrated gore. However, both are also really well written, and both are taken from the pages of the comic books that they originated from. (And both are produced by Seth Rogen, which is added bit of interest. He voices one of the minor characters in Invincible.)
    I have zero interest in the horror genre or violent shows in general but have really enjoyed The Boys. It's an imagining of what it would be like if super powers were granted to a random cross section of people in the world that really exists today. The wide ranging mess that is humanity - with its young love and bitter jealousy, its loyal buddies and hated foes, its personal faith and religion-for-profit, its idealistic youth and mega-corporate indifference, its boyfriends and girlfriends and racism and sexism and courage and cults, oh my. The good, the bad and the ugly that is the world today, but on steroids, if the steroids themselves were on steroids. And because it is imagining such a world there is violence but it wasn't gratuitous - it is there because it is a big part of the story. Also the show has a lot of humor to balance it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
    I have zero interest in the horror genre or violent shows in general but have really enjoyed The Boys. It's an imagining of what it would be like if super powers were granted to a random cross section of people in the world that really exists today. The wide ranging mess that is humanity - with its young love and bitter jealousy, its loyal buddies and hated foes, its personal faith and religion-for-profit, its idealistic youth and mega-corporate indifference, its boyfriends and girlfriends and racism and sexism and courage and cults, oh my. The good, the bad and the ugly that is the world today, but on steroids, if the steroids themselves were on steroids. And because it is imagining such a world there is violence but it wasn't gratuitous - it is there because it is a big part of the story. Also the show has a lot of humor to balance it out.
    This is a fantastic description of the Boys. I loved both seasons and would highly recommend it.

Thanks for chipping in and letting us know about how the movie that you've never seen is completely lousy.
    Go back and re-read what I wrote. I was not at all saying it was lousy. I passed no real judgement at all other than to say that other voices -- critics and especially audiences -- seem to have a different view of it than you. I then said it might be be a hidden gem on Netflix, though I a a bit skeptical of that, and I went on to mention several other hidden gems that I thought folks should take the time to check out**.

PS, the movie it reminded me of, The Hunger, has only 55% on RT, so I guess that one sucks too.
    Well, The Hunger has a much more reasonable 66% in audience score, which means 2 out of every 3 people who watch it are seemingly glad they did so. The 40% audience score on Elizabeth Harvest struck me as a warning sign. There are plenty of movies where the critic score does not do a good job of reflecting whether regular moviewatchers will enjoy a particular film (the latst Conjuring film has just 57% from critics but 84% from audiences... horror fans know what they want).

And, it is worth noting something really obvious, 40% of people who Elizabeth Harvest do like the film. So, it ain't like your opinion is one that is massively outside the mainstream.

-Jason "**- please folks, watch Safety Not Guaranteed" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quickly wanted to chime in and say I agree that The Boys is wonderful. I find the storylines a ton of fun. Invincible is fine, worth watching if you are into that kinda thing, but several of the episodes meandered and I think the show has done a poor job of making the various powers of various individuals very clear. I'm real big on "what can this superhero do and what can't they do" being a part of making a superhero story make sense. I think this is something the DCEU has failed at massively (Wonder Woman can fly?).

The other thing I love about The Boys that Invincible doesn't really explore (and many other superhero films/shows don't bother with this either) is how a society/world that we recognize would react to there being superheroes. I'm fascinated at the way The Boys puts the heroes into a corporate structure and discusses how some folks see the heroes as religious figures and so on. There is a ton of fertile ground there that makes the audience think as opposed to just having a world where superheroes are just a part of everything and no one seems to care all that much about it.

Jason - did you check out Sweet Tooth? Sort of surprised there's not more discussion of it.

Jason - did you check out Sweet Tooth? Sort of surprised there's not more discussion of it.
    Not yet. Heard good things but I have not been able to see it yet.

Enjoyed the first two episodes. Interesting angle, good acting and characters. Looking forward to the rest of the series.

Quote Originally Posted by accfanfrom1970 View Post
    Enjoyed the first two episodes. Interesting angle, good acting and characters. Looking forward to the rest of the series.
    The tone of the series alone is notable. It's adorable and twee, and then nearly brutal and harsh. A narrow path to walk. I wonder if they can sustain it in a satisfying way...

Just started watching 'Industry' on HBO. It follows the lives of a bunch of intern/analyst/associate level bankers at a prestigious London-based bank. It finally started to hit for me the 4th episode in and I think I'll give the rest of the season a go.