Page 34 of 164 FirstFirst ... 2432333435364484134 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    It may be a little simplistic, but Raya and the Last Dragon has enough story to keep audiences of all ages engaged. And the animation is really gorgeous. Here is my 100-word review: https://flixchat.blogspot.com/2021/0...-raya-and.html
    Interesting review, particularly the very last bit, given that I think Moana stacks up really well with Frozen. It sounds like this is one I can actually watch with my son without having to be secretly looking at my phone the whole time.

The Father

Well, this is a film not to miss. It was high on my list of the best films of the year and it is a crime that it is not getting more attention. Here is my 100-word-review: https://flixchat.blogspot.com/2021/0...ws-father.html

What makes the film unique is that it tells the story of dementia from the perspective of the victim. Almost everything in the film comes at us from Hopkins’ point-of-view, so when he is confused or taken aback by unexpected changes in his surroundings, we are too.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    Interesting review, particularly the very last bit, given that I think Moana stacks up really well with Frozen. It sounds like this is one I can actually watch with my son without having to be secretly looking at my phone the whole time.
    I’ve seen both about 1,000 times with 2 little girls in the house. Give me Moana any day of the week!

I think Frozen had a stronger and somewhat more surprising story than Moana. I probably should not have compared Raya to either of them because it is not a musical. I was merely referencing the watchability of the film from the perspective of an adult. I think Frozen is more watchable than Moana. My wife sat through Frozen and Raya with no trouble, she got bored during Moana (especially during the stuff with the giant crab).

Here are the rotten tomato scores of the recent Disney Animation films (not to be confused with Pixar):
    Raya and the Last Dragon - 97%
    Moana - 95%
    Frozen - 90%
    Ralph Breaks the Internet - 88%
    Frozen II - 78%

-Jason "I wish we were talking about The Father... sigh" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

I think Frozen had a stronger and somewhat more surprising story than Moana. I probably should not have compared Raya to either of them because it is not a musical. I was merely referencing the watchability of the film from the perspective of an adult. I think Frozen is more watchable than Moana. My wife sat through Frozen and Raya with no trouble, she got bored during Moana (especially during the stuff with the giant crab).
    Well, if you're going to pick on the worst part of one movie... But I'll be interested to see if I fall in line with the tomato meter (and you). Anyway, I neglected to thank you for posting the review, and I look forward to "Raya" now more than I ever have. My son WILL see it, and he prefers to have company. Now I will be a bit more enthusiastic.

Jason "I wish we were talking about The Father... sigh" Evans
    I'd love to, but I haven't seen it. It seems like very much my kind of movie, though. I haven't gotten the COVID jab, yet, so no way I'm seeing it in a theater. It looks like it is projected to be released in streaming format (not sure which service) on March 26th. I'll be waiting. Thanks even more for that review!

Seconded. Moana is better than Frozen and to me it’s not even that close; hell, Frozen 2 is better than Frozen. I have strong feelings about this.

I'm not a big movie buff but Coming to America is near the top of my list - my wife and now my kids are tired of me quoting it all the time. I am looking forward to the release of the sequel tomorrow. Looks like it is getting mixed reviews - I'm guessing it is largely a matter of how you felt about the first one, combined with expectations.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    Seconded. Moana is better than Frozen and to me it’s not even that close; hell, Frozen 2 is better than Frozen. I have strong feelings about this.
    Josh Gad's recap scene in Frozen 2 is the best part of any of the movies mentioned in this discussion.

We got around to finally watching The Florida Project the other night. Most I’ve appreciated and enjoyed a film in many months. Really outstanding execution.

Still excited for Godzilla vs Kong at the end of the month. In spite of the last Monsterverse film being a disappointment at the box office, I think this one will live up to the hype. BTW, it’s the most anticipated film for March.

https://screenrant.com/godzilla-vs-k...cipated-movie/

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDukie View Post
    Still excited for Godzilla vs Kong at the end of the month. In spite of the last Monsterverse film being a disappointment at the box office, I think this one will live up to the hype. BTW, it’s the most anticipated film for March.

March hasn’t been great so far. Just saying.

Coming 2 America

Anyone see it? Heidi (wife) and I saw it last night. She liked it more than I did. Some clever parts (cameo singer roles), but predictable.

Thoughts?

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Quote Originally Posted by duke74 View Post
    Anyone see it? Heidi (wife) and I saw it last night. She liked it more than I did. Some clever parts (cameo singer roles), but predictable.

Thoughts?
    Eh. Tried too hard to duplicate the original without the charm. It’s hard to duplicate Eddie Murphy of 1988. As you mentioned, very predictable.

(Doesn’t help that I’m not a fan of Leslie Jones’s loud brand of humor.)

God-Kong.jpg
    "That young man has an extra step on his ladder the rest of us just don't have."

I’m a sucker for a kaiju movie regardless of quality so I look forward to this. Also (based on the trailers) I’m glad they didn’t set the entire movie in pitch black moonless nights.

Chaos Walking

Well, I am not at all surprised that a film that has been through multiple reshoots and has been on the shelf for a few years was a mess. It was actually more watchable than I expected, which ain't saying much. But I'm still not telling any of you to pay to see it. Here is my 100-word review: https://flixchat.blogspot.com/2021/0...but-still.html

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Those who enjoyed Wonder Woman 1984 (and probably even those that didn’t), here’s a new “introduction” to the movie that is in the style of the 1977 show...

https://www.cbr.com/wonder-woman-198...-lynda-carter/

Quote Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
    It is frightening and is the most important topic of the 21st century.
    Agreed. I watched much more on the small screen last year than usual; it was the only show I recommended by name in our family's holiday letter.
    I knew some of it in bits and pieces but that documentary tied it together nicely.
    The dramatization was after-school-special-hokey, but maybe that style reaches young people, IDK. I could look past it, and fortunately I could NOT look past the rest, which was important.

Full disclosure: I got off FB ages ago for mostly different reasons. This cemented my decision to avoid other social media as well. Forums like this aren't quite the same, but I admit, they share some characteristics - so try to keep checking myself.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    I'm not a big movie buff but Coming to America is near the top of my list - my wife and now my kids are tired of me quoting it all the time. I am looking forward to the release of the sequel tomorrow. Looks like it is getting mixed reviews - I'm guessing it is largely a matter of how you felt about the first one, combined with expectations.
    Quote Originally Posted by duke74 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DU82 View Post
    Eh. Tried too hard to duplicate the original without the charm. It’s hard to duplicate Eddie Murphy of 1988. As you mentioned, very predictable.
    I watched Coming 2 America yesterday and enjoyed it. Despite a weak premise, and bad de-aging CGI to establish that premise, the movie hits the notes it needs to hit, and brings almost everyone back. It benefits from taking place mostly in Zamunda; you want some callbacks to locations in America, but not to the point of repetition.

While solid, the movie has a few problems. I get frustrated when characters in sequels don't seem to have developed during the intervening years. Akeem and Semmi are 30-plus years older, but their maturity is still stuck in 1988. Also, the movie does not need to use as much footage of the first film as it did. Maybe one scene with Madge Sinclair as Akeem's mother, and only because she died years ago. There are enough returning characters and songs to remind us of the original. Indeed, the movie works best when it tries to move forward. The kitchen mopping scene, for example, is a standout.

There's a lot of "why was this even made" sentiment in the predictably negative response (not here, elsewhere), but I don't see why that this particular film needs to be weighed down by that question. There have been plenty of long-delayed unnecessary sequels before, and plenty more yet to come.

Behind Her Eyes

Anyone watching Behind Her Eyes on Netflix?
    Pretty good so far. We're 2 of 6 episodes in, with a 3rd to go into the bank shortly.