Page 81 of 165 FirstFirst ... 3171798081828391131 ... LastLast
Results 1,601 to 1,620 of 3288
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Neilsen has released their list of top streaming TV and movies for the past year. They measure by number of minutes streamed, so a TV series that has dozens of episodes is going to score a lot higher than a movie with a 2 hour run time.

Anyway, the lists are really interesting --

Movies: Wow, Disney really dominates here in a big way. The house of mouse really knows how to make movies and market them!

Original TV Shows: Netflix takes command. That Squid Game number is really impressive considering it only has 9 episodes. You can also see why Handmaid's Tale is so important to Hulu. I bet they will find the money to convince everyone to make another season (or two).

Non-original TV Shows: Still a ton of Netflix. You can also see on this list why those "legacy" programs are such a huge driver of revenue for the streamers.

Considering how much they have invested into Prime, it has to be frustrating to Amazon to barely show up on these lists. I suspect we will see them pour more money into stars who bring eyeballs. The Tomorrow War was a mediocre sci-fi film but having Chris Pratt made it a hit.
    I hope I don't offend anyone by stating that Criminal Minds is one of the worst shows I have ever seen

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    I hope I don't offend anyone by stating that Criminal Minds is one of the worst shows I have ever seen
    Though the Nielsen ratings are looking at persons "2+" I suspect that if you changed the metric to be 75+ the Criminal Minds number would not change.

My mother in law watches that show, Blue Bloods, FBI, and other crime of the week shows religiously. She openly says she does not mind watching reruns because she can never remember who the killer is so each rerun is like watching a new show.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Though the Nielsen ratings are looking at persons "2+" I suspect that if you changed the metric to be 75+ the Criminal Minds number would not change.

My mother in law watches that show, Blue Bloods, FBI, and other crime of the week shows religiously. She openly says she does not mind watching reruns because she can never remember who the killer is so each rerun is like watching a new show.
    I have to imagine the Disney+ numbers are inflated by parents having the TV streaming all day to keep the kids occupied.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    I have to imagine the Disney+ numbers are inflated by parents having the TV streaming all day to keep the kids occupied.
    For sure. I wouldn’t really trust those Disney numbers. Most of the time parents just load up Disney+ movies and they run as background noise over and over again with little watching going on. I think my kids have “watched” Luca about 100 times.

FWIW, Netflix stock sold off 22% yesterday and Disney down 7% after tepid growth numbers from Netflix after the bell on Thursday.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Earlier this week I took a chance on Netflix's Arcane. I'm not a gamer, and not a huge anime fan. (Don't mind it, but I skip over most.)
    I was looking for something new, though. The first episode was interesting to me, but didn't scream "Come back!", so I put it on the back burner for a few days.

And then last night, I watched episode two, and was up til 3am watching the whole damn thing. Very heavy on steampunk, it's a classic story of upper class vs lower class, in this case literally divided between top dwellers in a beautiful city and those in the "under city". The characters are really engaging though, and the animation is amazing. As an artist myself, I was fascinated by the secondary imagery used to flesh out scenes.

The voice acting is top notch, and the story obviously sucked me in.

Anyway, definitely worth a shot if someone is in the mood for something different. I'll be looking forward to season 2.

Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Our mother-in-laws would get along really well. Mine has never had cable and I believe either NBC or ABC doesn't really come in at her home (she lives in suburbia, not the middle of nowhere). So she just watches CBS - all of their evening crime-type shows. She comes to visit us and that is all she watches even though we have millions of options. Streaming on our computers has made visiting her more tolerable as it was really painful, especially when my kids were small and used to having all of their shows on demand at home.

My younger one is in elementary school and I thought I was really spoiled between being able to record shows on the DVR and having a lot of options On Demand. Now with streaming, parenting is a piece of cake. My kids think I was tortured because I only had about 7 channels growing up (my densely populated NJ suburb was not wired for cable until the late 80s when I was in middle school).

Quote Originally Posted by tbyers11 View Post
    Second the strong recommendation of Station Eleven. This is one of my favorite drama series in a long time. It may seem odd that a TV series about a global pandemic and the aftermath could be moving and uplifting during a global pandemic. But it is.

I did read the book but I only had vague recollections (it was released in 2014) of the main characters and plot points. I went back and re-read it after finishing the TV series. The main characters and plot points are the same as the book but the TV series changes some of the connections between the main characters. This creates new material that I think works really well.

You know how the book is nearly always better than the movie/TV adaptation? I think the Station Eleven TV series is better than the book and the book was pretty darn good.

A-Tex Devil: You posted your recommendation before the finale aired. What did you think of the finale?
    Loved it. I didn’t read the book but read about the differences and prefer where TV show went. This was an excellent show. Best thing I’ve watched since Watchmen.

Neilsen has released their list of top streaming TV and movies for the past year. They measure by number of minutes streamed, so a TV series that has dozens of episodes is going to score a lot higher than a movie with a 2 hour run time.

Anyway, the lists are really interesting --

Movies: Wow, Disney really dominates here in a big way. The house of mouse really knows how to make movies and market them!

Original TV Shows: Netflix takes command. That Squid Game number is really impressive considering it only has 9 episodes. You can also see why Handmaid's Tale is so important to Hulu. I bet they will find the money to convince everyone to make another season (or two).

Non-original TV Shows: Still a ton of Netflix. You can also see on this list why those "legacy" programs are such a huge driver of revenue for the streamers.

Considering how much they have invested into Prime, it has to be frustrating to Amazon to barely show up on these lists. I suspect we will see them pour more money into stars who bring eyeballs. The Tomorrow War was a mediocre sci-fi film but having Chris Pratt made it a hit.
    Really surprised that Yellowstone and Succession aren’t listed. Almost everyone I know is watching those two shows.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    Really surprised that Yellowstone and Succession aren’t listed. Almost everyone I know is watching those two shows.
    It's likely due to the networks. Yellowstone is on Paramount, which is picking up steam, but I'm guessing is not in the numbers of of Netflix, Disney, or Prime.
    Succession is the same, in that I'm thinking that HBO doesn't have the numbers those three do. Without a single show from either of those two networks being listed, I bet I'm right. Doesn't mean the shows aren't everything that you've heard them to be, but overall the viewership doesn't match.

Timing can be another factor. Your two shows have been out a while, but the one I noted above, Arcane, hasn't. Yet even thought it's not listed, it's record setting on THE top tier streamer. (Per Wiki)
    Arcane's first season was released to critical acclaim, with praise directed at its animation, story, world-building, characters, emotional weight and voice acting. Some have noted the series' appeal to both casual viewers who have never played League of Legends and to longtime fans of the game. It also set the record as Netflix's highest-rated series so far within a week of its premiere, ranked first on the Netflix Top 10 Chart in 52 countries, and ranked second on the chart in the United States.
    However, it's only had one (short) season, and that one season started at the end of the year.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    It's likely due to the networks. Yellowstone is on Paramount, which is picking up steam, but I'm guessing is not in the numbers of of Netflix, Disney, or Prime.
    Succession is the same, in that I'm thinking that HBO doesn't have the numbers those three do. Without a single show from either of those two networks being listed, I bet I'm right. Doesn't mean the shows aren't everything that you've heard them to be, but overall the viewership doesn't match.

Timing can be another factor. Your two shows have been out a while, but the one I noted above, Arcane, hasn't. Yet even thought it's not listed, it's record setting on THE top tier streamer. (Per Wiki)

However, it's only had one (short) season, and that one season started at the end of the year.
    HBO doesn’t use Nielsen for numbers of streams. Neither does Paramount, I would assume. If you look at the bottom of the graph, it tells you who is included in the chart.

Quote Originally Posted by LasVegas View Post
    HBO doesn’t use Nielsen for numbers of streams. Neither does Paramount, I would assume. If you look at the bottom of the graph, it tells you who is included in the chart.
    Well then that might be the best answer to Lotusland's ponderance over anything else.

I wonder where the Paramount Star Trek shows would stack up if they were tracked.

My Netflix pastime is to see what position CoComelon holds in their Top 10. Does it ever drop off?

Well then that might be the best answer to Lotuslands ponderance over anything else.
    I didn’t even know this until I had the same exact questions after seeing the chart in this thread. A few articles are out there about Warner pulling HBO from the reporting.

Also I would like to say I'm disappointed in this season of Ozark - because it hooked me and I finished all 7 episodes in 3 nights. Now what do I do? Sit on my thumbs for weeks, months?

I like Paramount content. But I cancelled after a few months because the user interface was absolutely infuriating.

It is also worth noting that both Succession (HBO) and Yellowstone (The Paramount Network, formerly Spike TV) are available on cable TV networks. The above list was only measuring streaming services. That's why you don't see stuff like The Walking Dead or Ice Road Truckers on this list.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Just watched Last Night in Soho, I thought it was a neat little thriller with some interesting camera work. Anya Taylor-Joy is always fun to watch, but the relevation was Thomasin McKenzie. She's gonna be a star.

Caught Train to Busan (2016) on Roku the other night.

I'm not a zombie genre guy; the only couple I've seen are done with humor, like Zombieland and Shaun of the Dead. Train to Busan is dead serious and it delivers. Action and drama top shelf. Best of all, not formulaic or predictable.

Anyone else watching Guilded Age? The two leads who play the sisters are fantastic, and I am really enjoying the world itself.