Page 5 of 162 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    I just watched it for the first time. Great movie! My 16yo loves it too - wouldn’t let me delete it from the TiVo.

-jk
    Glad you liked it! I find new things with every re-watch — so many layers.

Colin Farrell, Brendan Gleason, Ralph Fiennes. Bruges. What more do you need?

(For those who have not seen it, do NOT watch the trailers. They are a large part of why the film did not get wider pick-up when released).

The Sopranos.

I watched every episode over the past six weeks and just finished the final one last night. It (the series) was just as good as the first time.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    The Sopranos.

I watched every episode over the past six weeks and just finished the final one last night. It (the series) was just as good as the first time.
    The Sopranos is imminently re-watchable. Every few years we'll do it so we've probably caught it 3 or 4 times now. Gandolfini and Falco did two of the best acting jobs I've seen on TV to this day, which isn't a hot take or anything, but it's just a pleasure to watch them work.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    The Sopranos is imminently re-watchable. Every few years we'll do it so we've probably caught it 3 or 4 times now. Gandolfini and Falco did two of the best acting jobs I've seen on TV to this day, which isn't a hot take or anything, but it's just a pleasure to watch them work.
    Agreed. Sopranos has aged well. I would put it, The Wire and Breaking Bad as the top 3 dramas of all time in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Yes, Space Force was it and, as I indicated yesterday, while I adored the first two episodes (howling with laughter throughout ep 2) the show went steeply downhill from there. It seemed to find some footing in the final couple episodes and I think it is worth Netflix giving it a second season.

Anyway, here is the podcast my reviewing partner Josh and I did on it: https://flixchat.blogspot.com/2020/0...out-space.html
    I’m two episodes in. A few laugh out loud moments but mostly average. If anyone has earned room to figure things out though, it’s Carrell. His Michael Scott was completely different the first season of the The Office than subsequent seasons. I hope Netflix gives them a chance to find a POV and figure out their characters, a lot of talent in the show.

I’m two episodes in. A few laugh out loud moments but mostly average. If anyone has earned room to figure things out though, it’s Carrell. His Michael Scott was completely different the first season of the The Office than subsequent seasons. I hope Netflix gives them a chance to find a POV and figure out their characters, a lot of talent in the show.
    Jean Ralphio found a new gig but I still think his energy is funny.

Space Monkey just had me howling with laughter the whole time.

Episode 3 (I think) where they go to congress is pretty good. After that you get a few episodes that really fall off the cliff where it just cannot decide what it is and the laughs are few and far between. It picks up again at the end.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Solid (virtual) music festival going on!

I posted this in the "Not Classic Rock" thread, but thought people looking for something on TV might be interested as well:

Pretty cool all-day virtual music festival going on right now. A lot of really good bands/artists, definitely not classic rock. They are taking donations, and already have raised almost $100k just a couple hours in! I was tempted to make a top level thread, but wasn't sure it was warranted.

Big Something is an excellent North Carolina based band coming up sometime in the next hour or so, and there's a bunch of other great stuff in the lineup (a lot of funk, jazz, and bluegrass), John Cleary is on now.

I also highly recommend:
    Nth Power (really good funk band doing a Nirvana set should yield solid results)
    The New Mastersounds
    Dumpstaphunk
    Dopapod
    Lettuce
    John Medeski
    But really there are too many to list (Greensky Bluegrass and Infamous Stringdusters are also strong). Just thought this might be something fun that would interest some of the folks on this board, and for a good cause!

Donate (and see the full lineup/schedule) here:
    https://www.quarantinecomesalive.com/

Watch here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIiduv_SxEs

Attachment 10835

Space Monkey just had me howling with laughter the whole time.
    Episode 3 (I think) where they go to congress is pretty good. After that you get a few episodes that really fall off the cliff where it just cannot decide what it is and the laughs are few and far between. It picks up again at the end.
    Yeah, when Carrell/Naird made the comment about exposed nips instead of exposed nubs I got pretty tickled and it continued through the entire space monkey scene. Coincidentally, my wife and I watched Ad Astra a week or so ago, which has a surprisingly similar space monkey scene. And both made me laugh.

I did enjoy the congressional episode but I'm not a fan of the choice to make all political figures a few letters removed from real politicians. Congresswoman Pitosi? The AOC clone? The first woman fashionista? It's pretty weak sauce and gives them the ability to lean into easy caricature rather than develop interesting political characters. I don't know, if they wanted it to be political satire they should put more bite into the jokes and politicians rather than just ape them ever so slightly.

Space Monkey’s been done:

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    I've been re-watching select episodes of The Crown. Just an exceptionally well done series (clearly the money spent on cinematography has been well worth it, as well as casting, of course.)

The episode about Aberfan, the Wales Coal Disaster, was as moving the second time as it was the first. As with almost all "recreations" some liberties were taken with specifics, but the overall tone was proper, and it appears the production spent time with survivors who lived through the disaster to get it right. They included as many as they could (and wanted to) as extras in some scenes, and according to some notes, were the first in over 50 years to offer counseling assistance.

I also have enjoyed the episodes with the Duke Of Windsor and the contrast between his manner and the Queen's. (He really comes off as quite a jerk, to put it kindly.) While she would have likely wound up as Queen (assuming the Duke and Wallis still never had children even as King and consort) I think the preparation she had in the years her father was King was exceptionally helpful.

The episode about the Great Smog of London had some eerie parallels to today's situation. Interesting to watch. (If only ours ended after 4-5 days...sigh...)

So, has anyone taken my advice and watched The Vast of Night yet? It is only at 95% on Rotten Tomatoes.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

So, has anyone taken my advice and watched The Vast of Night yet? It is only at 95% on Rotten Tomatoes.
    Any way to watch it without amazon prime?

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    Any way to watch it without amazon prime?

-jk
    Not legally

Ok I took the bait and watched it last night. I thought it was good but not great. It's a very simple premise and for me it just lacked depth. What it did well it did really well which was to build the suspense and anticipation in a short amount of time. What it did not do well was make me feel much of anything for the characters. I'm not knocking it because as I said I thought it was good but I wasn't blown away by it.

Shiny new Samsung 55" TV came thru the door yesterday so I can watch all the great sports events that aren't on TV. I must say, technology has changed (much brighter colors) since I bought my last HD TV about ten years ago.

I was on the radio here in Atlanta this morning, on 680/93.7, to talk about The Vast of Night, Upload, and Space Force. And, as usual, the conversation began with Duke basketball stuff. I keep trying to convince local sportstalk personality Steak Shapiro that Cam Reddish was a good draft pick by the Hawks.

You can have a listen here: https://flixchat.blogspot.com/2020/0...bout-vast.html

Recently re-watched Snatch for probably the 10th time. (But first time in a few years...) I must recommend it to anyone who possibly hasn't seen it. You've got to! One of my all time faves! And, not quite in the same stratosphere but close - Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels. Guy Ritchie was the man...
    "That young man has an extra step on his ladder the rest of us just don't have."

Vast of Night

Quote Originally Posted by DUKIECB View Post
    Ok I took the bait and watched it last night. I thought it was good but not great. It's a very simple premise and for me it just lacked depth. What it did well it did really well which was to build the suspense and anticipation in a short amount of time. What it did not do well was make me feel much of anything for the characters. I'm not knocking it because as I said I thought it was good but I wasn't blown away by it.
    We watched it and I think this sums it up for me. I also think the critics loved it because so much was done on what was obviously a very low budget. Lotta dialogue and I never felt much for the characters.

SoCal