Page 44 of 164 FirstFirst ... 3442434445465494144 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by gumbomoop View Post
    Mystery Road — Although I found the Season 1 storyline a bit easier to follow, I have to say the Season 2 underlying theme of archeological theft of Aboriginal ancestral bones is pretty compelling.

Des — I have no streaming service (Netflix, etc.), so I visit my local public library, which has a very good DVD (and CD) collection, old and recent films, American and British series, some foreign. I suppose for many, CDs and DVDs may be old technology, too much trouble, even quaint or soon outmoded?

Anyhow, if you can access “Des” by any method, I recommend it to you and others on this thread, with the caveat that it’s a real-life grim story. Only 3 episodes, 2-2.5 hours total. The 3 main characters are brilliantly acted. I have read some criticism that David Tennant makes the serial killer almost likable — or at least interesting rather than utterly despicable — in his portrayal of a quixotic, strange combo of matter-of-fact honesty and self-deception. Neither the lead detective nor Des’s biographer — nor the viewer — can quite believe what the admitted killer tells them, or rather the manner in which he remembers his murderousness.

One finds oneself, occasionally, laughing and immediately regretting any such response to how Tennant portrays this ghastly madman. Tennant’s Scottish accent is difficult, and he speaks at a normal, conversational clip. Yet even when I couldn’t catch every word, I thought I caught his often astounding meaning.
    Thank you for this info ^. David Tennant is one of my favorite actors. Loved him in Broadchurch. I'll be on the lookout for "Des". Some Brit tv shows I've like on Acorn TV are: George Gently, Foyle's War, Mystery Road, Midsomer Murders, Endeavour and Line of Duty. As you can tell, I love mystery/crime shows.

Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    I like Australian humor and drama so I’ll have to check out “Mystery Road”. Outside of “Veep”, “Rake” is the funniest show I’ve seen in years. Also enjoyed watching “Offspring” with Mrs. Lotus.
    Thanks for tip re Rake and Offspring. I’ll hope to find them.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    I thought Booksmart was almost TOO much like Superbad. The leads were charming enough, the story was fine. I just felt like it was almost a retelling of Superbad.
    Yes. I know what that pitch meeting was like.

The storyline is pretty familiar going WAY back... last party of HS but I still liked the people so it was fun to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    I thought Booksmart was almost TOO much like Superbad. The leads were charming enough, the story was fine. I just felt like it was almost a retelling of Superbad.
    I guess then that you're not overly excited about rumors that Supersmart and Bookbad movies are in the works.

Thanks for tip re Rake and Offspring. I’ll hope to find them.
    I second the Australian Rake recommendation. Great show - many times better than American remake.

Was flicking through Netflix offerings & ended up watching 30 minutes of The Baker & The Beauty but quit because I found it trite and boring. But I happened to read a comment that said to check out the much better Israeli version on Prime. I did and ended up bingeing both seasons.

It’s a bit tropey and not ‘great’ tv. But if you like good writing and character driven stories and are ok with subtitles it is a quite entertaining bonbon. The crazed girlfriend character alone is worth the price of admission. (Of course the show is free.)

Planning to check out Mortal Kombat. Looks cool from the trailers and intro.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey Osmond View Post
    Planning to check out Mortal Kombat. Looks cool from the trailers and intro.
    It’s okay. Not as good as the original.

For anyone watching Mare of Eastown...SNL's take, which I found to be very funny (though I live in SE PA):

Quote Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
    I second the Australian Rake recommendation. Great show - many times better than American remake.
    This comment made me remember a superb British crime series that had a much inferior American remake. Mid-1990s, Cracker, starring a brilliant Robbie Coltrane as a criminal psychologist. Powerful story lines, several memorable characters, especially a chilling Robert Carlyle in a story called “To Be a Somebody,” the important context of which was the Hillsborough disaster.

Don’t know whether/how it could be accessed now, save maybe purchased DVDs??

This comment made me remember a superb British crime series that had a much inferior American remake. Mid-1990s, Cracker, starring a brilliant Robbie Coltrane as a criminal psychologist. Powerful story lines, several memorable characters, especially a chilling Robert Carlyle in a story called “To Be a Somebody,” the important context of which was the Hillsborough disaster.

Don’t know whether/how it could be accessed now, save maybe purchased DVDs??
    Not on Britbox?

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    For anyone watching Mare of Eastown...SNL's take, which I found to be very funny (though I live in SE PA):

I agree. It was a very well done spoof, down to the details. I was amazed that they could pull that together in a week.

Quote Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
    I agree. It was a very well done spoof, down to the details. I was amazed that they could pull that together in a week.
    We are looking forward to watch the latest episode of murder durder tonight. Hoping we get one step closer to identifying the durder murderer.

In other news, NBC is dumping the Golden Globes and Tom Cruise is giving back his awards.

Award shows need to figure a few things out if they're going to survive.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    In other news, NBC is dumping the Golden Globes and Tom Cruise is giving back his awards.

Award shows need to figure a few things out if they're going to survive.
    Tom Cruise won awards? For acting?

Quote Originally Posted by Duke79UNLV77 View Post
    Tom Cruise won awards? For acting?
    I don't know about his chops lately but he was part of perhaps the greatest scene in cinematic history:

Les Grossman is one of the best bit movie characters in the last 25 years. Fight me.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Les Grossman is one of the best bit movie characters in the last 25 years. Fight me.
    Turn your audio down if you don't want anyone to hear a stream of curse words coming from your computer:

At the 3:45 mark:
    MM: "They are going to kill him!"
    TC: "And we will weep for him... in the press."

-Jason "shouts to Bill Hader for some fine backup work to Cruise in these scenes" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Turn your audio down if you don't want anyone to hear a stream of curse words coming from your computer:

-Jason "shouts to Bill Hader for some fine backup work to Cruise in these scenes" Evans
    And to finish it (NSFW) (alt. Version):

Sad to say, I really didn’t realize it was Tom Cruise until they showed his name in these end credits!

And totally agree about Bill “nutless monkey” Hader.
    Last edited by OldPhiKap; 05-10-2021 at 11:12 PM.

I’ve heard there was talk of a spin-off movie about Les Grossman but it never came together. Anyone have better info than that?