Page 41 of 166 FirstFirst ... 3139404142435191141 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    I watch and enjoyed. It’s like a number of suspense shows - sitting on the verge of jumping the shark. I prefer a limited series for that genre so I know the ending was decided at the beginning.
    I’m confused. Is this a limited series so it’s what you preferred or disappointed that it isn’t?

After a bunch of false starts through the years with suspense shows (Flash Forward, The Nine, etc) I’m pretty tired of series that don’t end and vastly prefer the limited run. And don’t get me started on those that didn’t seem to have the ending mapped out ahead of time (Lost, GoT).

Netflix Caliphate (IMDb 8.2) 8 episodes length 6hrs 15min Swedish. Caliphate is a series about the development of a fictional Muslim terrorist plot around Stockholm. I watched the series in English with subtitles. The subtitles are recommended for the unfamiliar names. Most of the lead character are females. The drama switches frequently between Sweden and a Syrian city. Just remember that Pervin is always in Syria and Fatima is in Stockholm. I have some issues with the characters; but these issues create a constant tension that reminds me of the constant tension in Breaking Bad. There is no Hollywood ending to this short series. So treat it like a war drama and don't get attached to any of the characters. This series, hard to find on Netflix and recommended by a friend, stuck with me for awhile afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by acdevil View Post
    I’m confused. Is this a limited series so it’s what you preferred or disappointed that it isn’t?

After a bunch of false starts through the years with suspense shows (Flash Forward, The Nine, etc) I’m pretty tired of series that don’t end and vastly prefer the limited run. And don’t get me started on those that didn’t seem to have the ending mapped out ahead of time (Lost, GoT).
    So many ways to fail with multiple season shows. As you point out many are great at launching a promising tale but don't know how to bring it home. Also the show-runner(s) and writers who create the season or two that we fall for often leave mid-series for other projects (American Gods, soooo many others). Usually the replacement writers/showrunners are a step down, sometimes a big step down, to sweatshop level talents. Even if they hold onto great writers it's still a tough task to keep a long-running show fresh and interesting. Book series based shows have the best chance. But most of the time the plot starts going in circles, chasing its own tail. Or the mediocre writers come in and just drop character development and resort to churning out formulaic plots and action.

There are a few multi-year shows that kept their quality throughout, or close to it - The Sopranos, The Wire (although it petered out a bit as well) and they become classics. But most are like Billions, Homeland, ..., they start great and at some point you realize they are no longer worth watching.

tldr vers: yep, limited series have a lot better chance of being good start to finish

And now, for something completely different ...

Monty Python: Almost the Truth

Hard to believe this was done 12 yrs ago. Since then we've lost Terry Jones.

This was an enjoyable and informative retrospective - even if you have done a deep dive on Python's origins and dynamics before, you can still learn new stuff and gain insights from this 6 part series (about 5 hrs total).

You don't have to be a huge Python fan to enjoy this, either.

Nick Drake`

For those into Nick Drake, I just discovered a documentary on his life and music on Amazon Prime View - "Under Review". Well done; explores his talent and frailties.

Another we lost too young to his demons. Appreciated way more after his death than during his life.

I didn’t want to spoil the ending so skip if you don’t want to know..,

There is no ending. S1 finale sets up S2 . Yeah I’m a fan of a limited series.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley

One of my favorite Sci-Fi series was done with all 5 seasons mapped out ahead of time, which always amazed me. Literally, in the very first episode of Babylon 5, there are scenes that won't show up again until the finale.

Having worked on a number of television science fiction shows which had regularly gone over budget, Straczynski concluded that a lack of long-term planning was to blame, and set about looking at ways in which a series could be done responsibly. Taking note of the lessons of mainstream television, which brought stories to a centralized location such as a hospital, police station, or law office, he decided that instead of "[going] in search of new worlds, building them anew each week", a fixed space station setting would keep costs at a reasonable level. A fan of sagas such as the Foundation series, Childhood's End, The Lord of the Rings, Dune and the Lensman series, Straczynski wondered why no one had done a television series with the same epic sweep, and concurrently with the first idea started developing the concept for a vastly ambitious epic covering massive battles and other universe-changing events. Realizing that both the fixed-locale series and the epic could be done in a single series, he began to sketch the initial outline of what would become Babylon 5.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Babylon_5
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

I mean, if you think you will like the Mortal Kombat movie, you probably will. It is all action and not much story (or character development)... but we are talking about a movie based on a video game. I mean, it is pretty much what you would expect in that regard.

Here is my 100-word review: https://flixchat.blogspot.com/2021/0...ws-mortal.html

Last edited by JasonEvans; 04-22-2021 at 09:53 PM.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by duke74 View Post
    For those into Nick Drake, I just discovered a documentary on his life and music on Amazon Prime View - "Under Review". Well done; explores his talent and frailties.

Another we lost too young to his demons. Appreciated way more after his death than during his life.
    Wow, thanks for the heads up. Love Nick Drake.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Sasquatch. (Hulu)

We watched the 1st episode tonight, and it is just as crazy and bizarre as we expected it to be. Also, beyond being about a murderous bigfoot, it's also a fascinating history of weed farming in California.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Started watching a little show I found called Game of Thrones. Yeah I'm late to the party. I'm 3 episodes into season 2 and can't stop watching. I had read the books but this may be one of those rare occurrences when the TV/movie is better.

Anybody else lost various DirecTV channels tonight?

Beginning maybe 10:30ish tonight (Thurs) here in western NC mts, my DirecTV has lost quite a variety of channels — including but not limited to CNN, ESPN, NBA TV, CSPAN2, MSNBC, NBCSN, random others, quite a few.

Anybody have same problem?

Quote Originally Posted by gumbomoop View Post
    Beginning maybe 10:30ish tonight (Thurs) here in western NC mts, my DirecTV has lost quite a variety of channels — including but not limited to CNN, ESPN, NBA TV, CSPAN2, MSNBC, NBCSN, random others, quite a few.

Anybody have same problem?
    I bet QVC works perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by DUKIECB View Post
    Started watching a little show I found called Game of Thrones. Yeah I'm late to the party. I'm 3 episodes into season 2 and can't stop watching. I had read the books but this may be one of those rare occurrences when the TV/movie is better.
    Just so you know, despite what you may see online, there are only six seasons. Don't endeavor to watch seven or eight.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    I bet QVC works perfectly.
    Nope, it’s off. But ... QVC2 is on air, so I’ll probably be spending big bucks on moisturizer.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Just so you know, despite what you may see online, there are only six seasons. Don't endeavor to watch seven or eight.
    Listen to this man!!

How many seasons of Lost were there? What season featured Charlie writing “not Penny’s boat” on his hand? That was the final scene of the entire series, if memory serves.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by DUKIECB View Post
    I would advise staying away from the DBR GoT thread!

I envy you. You know what’s coming (mostly) but the first time was so much fun.

We started watching Mare of Easttown, a drama miniseries on HBO. Has a great first episode with what I found to be really compelling character development. There are some tropes but we are in for the lot.

I added Acorn TV to my cable subscription a couple of month ago and I'm well pleased. Midsomer Murders began filming again(Covid) October, 2020 and Acorn has season 22 up. Episodes 1 & 2 are available now and a total of 6 for season 22. Other Brit shows on Acorn are; Brokenwood, George Gently, Foyles Army and Line of Duty to name a few that I've watched.

Friendly reminder: only a week left to catch ‘Godzilla vs Kong’ on HBOMax. I assume it’ll be at theaters for a while longer.

I’ve watched several classic films, some of them not widely known, over the last week. I thoroughly enjoyed each one of them, albeit for different reasons. Some were just B films that had that Saturday matinee vibe. Just easy-going enjoyment. Others were of higher quality, with more drama and suspense. But I didn’t regret watching any of them.

Gaslight (1944)
    Arabian Nights (1942)
    Return of the Bad Men (1948)
    The Hidden Eye (1945)
    Curse of the Undead (1959)
    Reap the Wild Wind (1942)
    The Virginian (1946)