Page 29 of 164 FirstFirst ... 1927282930313979129 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Gooch View Post
    Anybody watch the first two episodes of Wandavision on Disney+? I absolutely loved it. The concept is so crazy but so fun. I would call myself a moderate Marvel fan, so I can’t imagine all the Easter eggs and inside symbols that super fans would be able to find. If the whole season were available I would have watched it tonight.
    I plan on diving in tonight. Huge marvel fan here!

Tiger doc

Anyone else catch the Tiger Woods documentary on HBO? It was split into 2 parts, and as a huge Tiger fan, I enjoyed it. If you've followed him closely, there's not a ton of new material. But for whatever reason, Tiger's life fascinates me. I could never imagine being raised by Earl Woods. The expectations he placed on his son were unlike anything I've ever seen. Not just to be a golfer, but to be the greatest of all time. And not JUST the greatest golfer of all time, but Earl also expected Tiger to become something like a human god. No exagerration. The doc included some great footage and interviews/stories from former caddies and players. Also some horrible footage of Tiger's fall from grace--man, I had forgotten how hard that fall was. Tiger is lucky to be alive. Anyway, a fun watch if you like Tiger!

Quote Originally Posted by dukebluesincebirth View Post
    Anyone else catch the Tiger Woods documentary on HBO? It was split into 2 parts, and as a huge Tiger fan, I enjoyed it. If you've followed him closely, there's not a ton of new material. But for whatever reason, Tiger's life fascinates me. I could never imagine being raised by Earl Woods. The expectations he placed on his son were unlike anything I've ever seen. Not just to be a golfer, but to be the greatest of all time. And not JUST the greatest golfer of all time, but Earl also expected Tiger to become something like a human god. No exagerration. The doc included some great footage and interviews/stories from former caddies and players. Also some horrible footage of Tiger's fall from grace--man, I had forgotten how hard that fall was. Tiger is lucky to be alive. Anyway, a fun watch if you like Tiger!
    Yes, we watched it. Hell of an ascent, descent, and comeback story.

My parents never really pushed me toward anything so I have no conception of what a childhood like Tiger’s must have been like. Strikes me as sad but then you need some severity and relentlessness to be truly great at something.

I wrote 100 words on the new Casey Affleck, Dakota Johnson, Jason Segel film Our Friend: http://flixchat.blogspot.com/2021/01...ur-friend.html

It seems like tear-jerker films are Casey Affleck’s specialty, but it is both Johnson and Segel who really shine with deeply real and emotional performances.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I wrote 100 words on the new Casey Affleck, Dakota Johnson, Jason Segel film Our Friend: http://flixchat.blogspot.com/2021/01...ur-friend.html
    This review was very helpful. I love the cast, and sounds like they absolutely crushed it.

And this is a movie I'll likely never watch, so you saved me some time.

Quote Originally Posted by richardjackson199 View Post
    This review was very helpful. I love the cast, and sounds like they absolutely crushed it.

And this is a movie I'll likely never watch, so you saved me some time.
    I'm confused... did I convince you to see it or not? My review was sorta lukewarm... strong performances but a bit of an unnecessarily confusing story that will make you sad.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

I'm confused... did I convince you to see it or not? My review was sorta lukewarm... strong performances but a bit of an unnecessarily confusing story that will make you sad.
    Haha sorry. You told me exactly what I wanted to know. You convinced me not to watch it. But that's just because a sad drama is not my type of movie. I usually just want a good time with a movie. The confusing timeline of the movie would probably annoy me too. But someone else could read your review, and if this was their type of movie they would enjoy the strong performances and poignant themes.

I really like those actors and actresses, and I figured they would crush it. I'm glad they did. But I'll skip that one. Thanks!

Godzilla vs Kong looks epic!

https://youtu.be/odM92ap8_c0

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDukie View Post

https://youtu.be/odM92ap8_c0
    I've always had a very hard time watching Kong movies. I love the original. And I loathe the Peter Jackson recreation for the same reason that I have a hard time watching the original again.

Pity. It is the overbearing emotion any film showcasing the "monster".
    It was beauty that killed the beast.

No it wasn't. It was the frailty and fear of man. And in every movie since the first, it's the same. Long story short, "Man wins, Big Ape dies." Or if he doesn't die, he is shot at. A lot. Simply for being.
    I DGAF about Godzilla. Whatever...nukes are bad, so he exists.
    But King Kong, who predated the Japanese iguana, is different.

Not saying that I hope that one wins over the other, or that there is a merciful tie, just saying that I find Kong to be the most tragic character in cinematic history, and for that, I'm very leery of watching his downfall again.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDukie View Post

So did Godzilla: King of Monsters and that sucker turned out to be a hot mess of a film.

Thankfully, KoM was so bad it has lowered my expectations for this film so much that if it is anything but a train wreck, I will probably be at least somewhat pleased. But I ain't expecting the story to make any sense at all.

So did Godzilla: King of Monsters and that sucker turned out to be a hot mess of a film.

Thankfully, KoM was so bad it has lowered my expectations for this film so much that if it is anything but a train wreck, I will probably be at least somewhat pleased. But I ain't expecting the story to make any sense at all.
    Read in your best Allen Iverson voice - "Story!? We talkin' 'bout Story!?"
    "That young man has an extra step on his ladder the rest of us just don't have."

Quote Originally Posted by Nrrrrvous View Post
    Read in your best Allen Iverson voice - "Story!? We talkin' 'bout Story!?"
    My 9 year old is always intrigued by the Pacific Rim scenes they have playing on the big screen TVs at BJs Wholesale. He always asks me what that movie is about. I tell him giant robots fighting giant monsters. He tells me that he can see that, "but why?" I always reply, "Do you need a reason to have giant robots fight giant monsters?"

LOL!

Who expects Oscare awards for movies like this? Enjoy them for the over the top action.

I dunno, that trailer is pretty much what I had in mind with my Mahomes versus Brady post.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    I've always had a very hard time watching Kong movies. I love the original. And I loathe the Peter Jackson recreation for the same reason that I have a hard time watching the original again.

Pity. It is the overbearing emotion any film showcasing the "monster".
    It was beauty that killed the beast.

No it wasn't. It was the frailty and fear of man. And in every movie since the first, it's the same. Long story short, "Man wins, Big Ape dies." Or if he doesn't die, he is shot at. A lot. Simply for being.
    I DGAF about Godzilla. Whatever...nukes are bad, so he exists.
    But King Kong, who predated the Japanese iguana, is different.

Not saying that I hope that one wins over the other, or that there is a merciful tie, just saying that I find Kong to be the most tragic character in cinematic history, and for that, I'm very leery of watching his downfall again.
    Well there is the orginal...

Spoiler for a 50 year old movie
    Spoiler!

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    My 9 year old is always intrigued by the Pacific Rim scenes they have playing on the big screen TVs at BJs Wholesale. He always asks me what that movie is about. I tell him giant robots fighting giant monsters. He tells me that he can see that, "but why?" I always reply, "Do you need a reason to have giant robots fight giant monsters?"

LOL!

Who expects Oscare awards for movies like this? Enjoy them for the over the top action.
    I mean, if you're still interested after seeing Kong throw that wicked right cross, then it's probably your kinda movie. (What, did someone show him some old Tyson fights while he was in captivity? Actually, that would be hilarious!)
    "That young man has an extra step on his ladder the rest of us just don't have."

We watched One Night in Miami last night. Loved it. Absolutely recommend. I might still give the edge to The Trial of the Chicago Seven as best movie I've watched in the last month, but not by much. Have to think about that for a few.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    I dunno, that trailer is pretty much what I had in mind with my Mahomes versus Brady post.
    Ha-ha-ha! Very good. But must spread sporks.

Quote Originally Posted by Nrrrrvous View Post
    We watched One Night in Miami last night. Loved it. Absolutely recommend. I might still give the edge to The Trial of the Chicago Seven as best movie I've watched in the last month, but not by much. Have to think about that for a few.
    I am in the process of putting together my top ten, the Atlanta Film Critics are voting this week, and I can tell you that both of these will be in there (Chicago 7 in the top half, One Night around the middle). When I am done with my ballot, I'll post it here for ya'll to see.

Pre-COVID and pre-baby, my wife and I tried to get out of the country once a year, at least. I've really started to have some zugunruhe lately and one way we've scratched that itch is by watching movies not set in the U.S.

Enjoyed 2 recently.

The Hundred-Foot Journey is about a family of Indian cooks who are forced to flee India. They relocate in the French countryside and open an Indian restaurant opposite a fine Michelin-rated restaurant. As it turns out, one of the Indian sons is a wunderkind chef and so he rises up the ranks of European fine dining. It's a fun, feel good movie that takes you through India and parts of Europe.

Beneath a Sea of Lights takes place in Dubai and features Barkhad Abdi (I am the captain now) as a migrant worker who repairs billboards on the Sheik Zayed Highway. He becomes infatuated with the trappings of luxury he maintains on the billboard and gets himself into some trouble as a result. Interesting look at the working class in Dubai. It's perhaps too nice in its portrayal; many of the migrants brought in from Africa and SE Asia to service the needs of the wealthy Emirati do not have a great life but this still gives you enough sense of the social strata in the city.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Pre-COVID and pre-baby, my wife and I tried to get out of the country once a year, at least. I've really started to have some zugunruhe lately and one way we've scratched that itch is by watching movies not set in the U.S.

Enjoyed 2 recently.

The Hundred-Foot Journey is about a family of Indian cooks who are forced to flee India. They relocate in the French countryside and open an Indian restaurant opposite a fine Michelin-rated restaurant. As it turns out, one of the Indian sons is a wunderkind chef and so he rises up the ranks of European fine dining. It's a fun, feel good movie that takes you through India and parts of Europe.

Beneath a Sea of Lights takes place in Dubai and features Barkhad Abdi (I am the captain now) as a migrant worker who repairs billboards on the Sheik Zayed Highway. He becomes infatuated with the trappings of luxury he maintains on the billboard and gets himself into some trouble as a result. Interesting look at the working class in Dubai. It's perhaps too nice in its portrayal; many of the migrants brought in from Africa and SE Asia to service the needs of the wealthy Emirati do not have a great life but this still gives you enough sense of the social strata in the city.
    I just looked on Netflix and HundredFoot Journey is available only through 01/31/2021. Just a few more days.

Glad I checked.