Page 10 of 164 FirstFirst ... 891011122060110 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    Hang in, it gets even better. I get mine at the local library. Guess I'm old school. Very.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomJoad View Post
    It's on BritBox, which I assume is available in the US. Well worth the small monthly cost with lots of British drama and comedy. Try the free trial.
    Quote Originally Posted by WV_Iron_Duke View Post
    I recommended Line of Duty earlier. The seasons 1-4 are on Amazon. S5 is on Acorn.On Britbox am watching Sherlock Holmes , Death in Paradise and Poirot.
    Thank you all.
    Kudos to you dudog84 for taking the smart, thrifty old school route. Sadly thats not me.
    Amazon lists it but won’t let me play without a Britbox subscription. Guess I’ll be adding Britbox to DTV, Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, ESPN+ and Disney. I think I may have a problem.

Season one was great but big thumbs down for new season of "Hanna" (Prime). Latest season of "Killing Eve" (BBC/AMC?) not as good as previous but still enjoyed it. Halfway through "For All Mankind" (Apple TV) and it's pretty good. Latest "Bosch" (Prime) was up to par but can't say the same for "Billions" (ShowTime). Thinking about starting "Veep" from the beginning but political shows affect my blood pressure. Might do same for "The Sopranos." Wonder what the future has in store re new stuff, "Succession" season 3 in late summer...?

Quote Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
    Thank you all.
    Kudos to you dudog84 for taking the smart, thrifty old school route. Sadly thats not me.
    Amazon lists it but won’t let me play without a Britbox subscription. Guess I’ll be adding Britbox to DTV, Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, ESPN+ and Disney. I think I may have a problem.
    The first season is also on hoopladigital.com, which I get free with my library card. Seasons 2-5 do not appear to be, but 1 will get you hooked.

EDIT!: Check that, all 5 seasons are there. Don't know how to sign up to hoopladigital without going through my library though. Worth a shot.

Do not watch Jezebel with Betty Davis. It is set during the plague in Louisiana. My wife and I had job offers in Louisiana in the late 80s. We needed a night off before deciding whether to move from the mid Atlantic to the Deep South. So I rented Jezebel. I no longer get to pick movies

Quote Originally Posted by jimmymax View Post
    Season one was great but big thumbs down for new season of "Hanna" (Prime). Latest season of "Killing Eve" (BBC/AMC?) not as good as previous but still enjoyed it. Halfway through "For All Mankind" (Apple TV) and it's pretty good. Latest "Bosch" (Prime) was up to par but can't say the same for "Billions" (ShowTime). Thinking about starting "Veep" from the beginning but political shows affect my blood pressure. Might do same for "The Sopranos." Wonder what the future has in store re new stuff, "Succession" season 3 in late summer...?
    Veep isn't very political. At least in the traditional sense. It's wildly funny.

"Succession" season 3 in late summer...?
    I think there is little chance we see "Succession" again until 2021. They had written some scripts and done some pre-production when COVID shut things down, but my understanding is that they had not shot anything yet. Like much of the film and TV business, Succession is likely on hold until we can relax social distancing.

Great show though. Anyone who has not seen it, you are really in for a treat.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I think there is little chance we see "Succession" again until 2021. They had written some scripts and done some pre-production when COVID shut things down, but my understanding is that they had not shot anything yet. Like much of the film and TV business, Succession is likely on hold...
    This sucks. Obviously we are still benefiting right now from a backlog of content but soon fresh programming will disappear. Wonder how the media conglomerates will weather the shut down? Pump up the animation I guess but what else can they do? Make documentaries from archival film?

Quote Originally Posted by WV_Iron_Duke View Post
    I recommended Line of Duty earlier. The seasons 1-4 are on Amazon. S5 is on Acorn.On Britbox am watching Sherlock Holmes , Death in Paradise and Poirot.
    I’m on the finale of season 2. The show is complex - it draws you in with its great writing and acting and then it stresses you out with sudden and often unpleasant plot turns. It’s bopping along with a great procedural rhythm and then suddenly veers into unwatchable torture. You emotionally invest in a character and they suddenly go splat. Or the victim becomes the victimizer, no wait they really are the victim. Oh damn it they *are* evil...I think? Who knows? I’m exhausted just watching it. Thoroughly engaged, but exhausted.

I’m on the finale of season 2. The show is complex - it draws you in with its great writing and acting and then it stresses you out with sudden and often unpleasant plot turns. It’s bopping along with a great procedural rhythm and then suddenly veers into unwatchable torture. You emotionally invest in a character and they suddenly go splat. Or the victim becomes the victimizer, no wait they really are the victim. Oh damn it they *are* evil...I think? Who knows? I’m exhausted just watching it. Thoroughly engaged, but exhausted.
    Line of Duty? I like the show but don't want to pay for Acorn. Paying $245.00 monthly as it is.

I know who you mean by "splat". I have also felt manipulated, but realize that is what makes it so great. I really don't know what's coming.

Here are some Netflix tips from me.

The English Game.
    Hanna
    Peaky Blinders.

the latter is shot in my home town. The Peaky Blinders were a gang from Birmingham (UK) in the 1920’s. It’s set in Small Heath where I was born. I used to frequent The Garrison Pub which is one of the main pubs of the Peakys. Also, according to my father, my Grandad was a “pop” man for them. Anyway it’s great and the music is brilliant too. Caution. You made need captions Switched on to fully catch the Brummie accents even if they are not as strong as the real thing.
    Kyle gets BUCKETS!
    https://youtu.be/NJWPASQZqLc

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    Line of Duty? I like the show but don't want to pay for Acorn. Paying $245.00 monthly as it is.
    Tell me about it. DTV, Netflix, Hulu and now Britbox. I so want to get rid of DTV because of the price. In the old days I could call and ask for customer retention and get $40/mo or so knocked off for 6 mos. Rinse and repeat. But now they just screw me.

My wife and I both enjoyed the second season of "Hanna". It was definitely different from the first season, though.
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

Apparently several movies and tv shows are now finalizing plans to start or restart production using the iso-pod approach — all talent and production staff quarantined together for months at a time. This will be extremely challenging to pull off. Soooo many people involved in making a tv show or movie. MLS & NBA are pulling it off — can actors, cameramen, gaffers and set designers do the same? Hard to imagine getting a catering crew to isolate for months at a time. They will have to - can’t have all those those big-time actors and directors living for months on take-out.

Apparently several movies and tv shows are now finalizing plans to start or restart production using the iso-pod approach — all talent and production staff quarantined together for months at a time. This will be extremely challenging to pull off. Soooo many people involved in making a tv show or movie. MLS & NBA are pulling it off — can actors, cameramen, gaffers and set designers do the same? Hard to imagine getting a catering crew to isolate for months at a time. They will have to - can’t have all those those big-time actors and directors living for months on take-out.
    Well, the NBA has cameramen too (and other auxillary staff).

The biggest challenge (to me) is that it means nobody can work on more than one project at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post

The biggest challenge (to me) is that it means nobody can work on more than one project at a time.
    I just found out that a family member (obviously not one I'm close to) has been in the NBA bubble for the past month. He does technical work, mainly setting up lights and/or sound, for large events (concerts, awards shows, major corporate events, sporting events, etc.) so was hired to work there. I'm not sure if he has to stay until the end or not. I'm fairly sure he was subject to all of the protocols. Given the lack of major events, I'm guessing there has not been a lot of demand for his services lately so though it was probably hard to be away from home for so long (though that is the nature of his job so he is fairly used to it), he was probably thrilled to have the work.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    I just found out that a family member (obviously not one I'm close to) has been in the NBA bubble for the past month. He does technical work, mainly setting up lights and/or sound, for large events (concerts, awards shows, major corporate events, sporting events, etc.) so was hired to work there. I'm not sure if he has to stay until the end or not. I'm fairly sure he was subject to all of the protocols. Given the lack of major events, I'm guessing there has not been a lot of demand for his services lately so though it was probably hard to be away from home for so long (though that is the nature of his job so he is fairly used to it), he was probably thrilled to have the work.
    ...plus that'll (maybe?) make for kind of a cool story someday.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    ...plus that'll (maybe?) make for kind of a cool story someday.
    Yeah. He is a very humble guy who doesn't get too star struck. I believe he has worked the Super Bowl, NBA All-Star game, Country Music Awards, etc. but doesn't really talk about it much. He has two girls in college and a son in high school so I assume that is cool street cred for them, though it is offset by the fact that he is constantly on the road. All of his work is largely done ahead of time so I think that by the time of the actual events, he is usually exhausted. But one would think he couldn't have helped but to bump into all of the NBA guys in Orlando, unless they were trying to keep non-basketball people away from them.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post

In normal times a movie can have hundreds involved. NBA doesn’t have makeup, wardrobe, set designers, electricians, carpenters and so on. Google says average of 588 people credited in top 1000 films from ‘94-‘13. And many who help aren’t credited - like individual caterers. Now a lot of these people will be pre-production and post-production but you probably still have a 100+ who have to be in the pod for a single movie. And as you point out all these workers are limited to a single project for however many months the shooting takes. These will be expensive and logistically massive undertakings. But worth it since until vaccine it is only way for film and tv industry to survive, other than animation and Ken Burns docs.

Been in a Gregory Peck mood lately. Watched Pork Chop Hill, Moby Dick, On The Beach, and To Kill A Mockingbird over and over..