Page 16 of 164 FirstFirst ... 614151617182666116 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by gumbomoop View Post
    Old business. I meant to ask you about Orlando PBS not offering Doc Martin. Huh? Do you mean they aren’t showing reruns these days, just waiting for the next new series. Or do you mean they’ve never shown it? I’d be puzzled, shocked even, if the latter were the case, as PBS viewers love, love, love Britcoms, and Doc M is famously among the most popular, beloved of all time.

A total of 9 series/70 episodes have been shown. Supposedly we’ll get one final series, whenever filming can resume.
    We moved to Orlando 18 months ago, and so far as I can tell there have been no episodes of Doc Martin aired on either the Orlando (WUCF) or Daytona Beach (WDSC) PBS stations available on Spectrum cable service, even though they regularly broadcast the other British (and Australian) programs that we enjoy watching. It's puzzling, because we were able to get Doc Martin on Spectrum cable in Durham. We can stream it on Prime Video, but only by paying for a subscription to Acorn or purchasing it by the season or episode.

If you haven't, check our Teenage Bounty Hunters on Netflix. I found it incredibly amusing. Definitely borders on raunchy in some spots, but also quite witty.

(If you hate it, don't judge me)

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    If you haven't, check our Teenage Bounty Hunters on Netflix. I found it incredibly amusing. Definitely borders on raunchy in some spots, but also quite witty.

I enjoyed it. It’s not prestige TV but it was light, fun, and witty and provided a nice break from doom and gloom TV and life.

PS - Original title was Slutty Teenager Bounty Hunters before someone came to their senses and changed it. It is only slightly raunchy - very tame by today’s standards. The 1st ep where one of the girls was trying to get her HS bf to do the deed in a car by quoting Bible verses was probably the raunchiest scene of the series but I thought it was hilarious.
    Last edited by Skydog; 09-23-2020 at 03:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
    I enjoyed it. It’s not prestige TV but it was light, fun, and witty and provided a nice break from doom and gloom TV and life.
    Agreed. Sometimes escapism is just fine.

Agreed. Sometimes escapism is just fine.
    Exactly.

Weird, but also strangely compelling, I think that if you come into it with the right mindset, you might really enjoy Kajillionaire.

Here is my 100-word-review: https://flixchat.blogspot.com/2020/0...d-reviews.html

The acting here is fabulous, especially Evan Rachel Wood, who leaves behind the glamour of Westworld for an emotionally resonant and human performance.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Well, there is a new "best movie of the year" for this accursed year. I got a chance to see Aaron Sorkin's The Trial of the Chicago 7 and it was fabulous as well as being absolutely essential for our current times. With an absurd cast that includes Yahya Abdul-Mateen II, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Michael Keaton, Frank Langella, Michael Keaton, Eddie Redmayne, Mark Rylance, and Jeremy Strong, it is actually Sacha Baron Cohen who stands out the most with a stirring performance as Abbie Hoffman.

See it...

And here is the podcast I did along with my reviewing partner, Josh, on the film. We basically spend 15 minutes gushing nonstop: https://flixchat.blogspot.com/2020/0...-trial-of.html

Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Gave this a try. We have watched the first 2 episodes. I see the potential. So far, I feel like about 1/3 of the jokes are forced / not landing. Will watch #3. Thanks for the rec.

Quote Originally Posted by freshmanjs View Post
    Gave this a try. We have watched the first 2 episodes. I see the potential. So far, I feel like about 1/3 of the jokes are forced / not landing. Will watch #3. Thanks for the rec.
    I feel it finds itself in episodes four through six. Let me know what you think.

Ted Lasso. Atv+

The Boys. (Season 2). Prime video.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Well, there is a new "best movie of the year" for this accursed year. I got a chance to see Aaron Sorkin's The Trial of the Chicago 7 and it was fabulous as well as being absolutely essential for our current times. With an absurd cast that includes Yahya Abdul-Mateen II, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Michael Keaton, Frank Langella, Michael Keaton, Eddie Redmayne, Mark Rylance, and Jeremy Strong, it is actually Sacha Baron Cohen who stands out the most with a stirring performance as Abbie Hoffman.

See it...

And here is the podcast I did along with my reviewing partner, Josh, on the film. We basically spend 15 minutes gushing nonstop: https://flixchat.blogspot.com/2020/0...-trial-of.html

I didn't think the trailer came off all that well (I get what they were trying to do with the "all of us are watching" drum beat but it didn't really work for me) but I am extremely interested in watching it when it comes out.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    I didn't think the trailer came off all that well (I get what they were trying to do with the "all of us are watching" drum beat but it didn't really work for me) but I am extremely interested in watching it when it comes out.
    93% so far on Rotten Tomatoes. When Josh and I recorded the podcast, the embargo prevented us from knowing what other folks would think of the film so I was afraid that all of our award talk might have been premature. It is a relief when you think something is great and then find out that almost everyone else agrees with you.

Quote Originally Posted by LasVegas View Post
    Ted Lasso. Atv+

The Boys. (Season 2). Prime video.
    I really want to see Ted Lasso but refuse to add ATV to my list of paid subscriptions. Nothing against ATV but my subscription list is getting too long:

Worth it:
    Netflix (well worth it)
    Hulu (worth it about 6 mos a year)
    Prime (the free shipping pays for it)
    ESPN+ (worth it to watch certain soccer games and NBA games)

Not so sure worth it. For these I signed up for a particular show but should have cancelled after:
    Britbox (Line of Duty, excellent show but I haven't watched much else. I know they have other good shows, just haven't been in the mood)
    Disney+ (they hooked me with Hamilton but not watching much else)

I really want to see Ted Lasso but refuse to add ATV to my list of paid subscriptions. Nothing against ATV but my subscription list is getting too long:

Worth it:
    Netflix (well worth it)

Not so sure worth it. For these I signed up for a particular show but should have cancelled after:
    Britbox (Line of Duty, excellent show but I haven't watched much else. I know they have other good shows, just haven't been in the mood)

HBO is worth it for us. Good content updated regularly but they've got some shows that are also imminently re-watchable every few years (Sopranos, The Wire, GoT, etc).

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    HBO is worth it for us. Good content updated regularly but they've got some shows that are also imminently re-watchable every few years (Sopranos, The Wire, GoT, etc).
    HBO is my extra. I have Disney+ through sometime in November as a freebie (from when I switched to Fios for the ACCN), but I don't think I'll pay for it.

-jk

Worth it:
    Netflix (well worth it)

I hear ya. If you binge it, Ted Lasso is well worth the $5 for a month. Did you bundle the Hulu/Disney/ESPN+?

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    I was recommended to watch Away.
    After the first episode or two, I was hoping that at least a couple of the characters got spaced, including at least one of the people still on Earth.

I couldn't stop watching though, and binged 8 episodes. I started at 10pm, so I didn't get much sleep that night. And, most of the space worthy characters redeemed themselves. I've been very pleasantly surprised at the series, and am not looking forward to the last two episodes, knowing they will be good and probably end in a cliffhanger making me suffer for months waiting for season two.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

We just started The Vow on HBO. It’s a docuseries on the NXIVM cult. We just finished the first episode. Seems like a great club so far! Thinking it might start changing in future episodes...

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    We just started The Vow on HBO. It’s a docuseries on the NXIVM cult. We just finished the first episode. Seems like a great club so far! Thinking it might start changing in future episodes...
    We have watched two episodes and will watch all of them. I assume the former and current long-term members have signed NDAs. What I’d really like to know, which it appears nobody will share, is the fear elimination technique taught to the senior members. Seems like a really valuable technique, if used in a positive manner. I really wish somebody would write a detailed book on the technique.

“I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.”

-jk