Page 80 of 166 FirstFirst ... 3070787980818290130 ... LastLast
Results 1,581 to 1,600 of 3310
    If you’ve never watched “A Face in the Crowd” I highly recommend it. You’ll never see Andy Griffith the same way again. Powerful film that was decades ahead of its predictive time.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    We just finished a mini-series on netflix called "Don't F*ck with Cats: Hunting an Internet Serial Killer". I have no idea how we missed this story when it was in the headlines but it's an absolutely wild true crime documentary.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt11318602/

The story starts with a group of internet randos banding together to try and track down the person who posted a very sick animal abuse video. The story goes in some amazing, unexpected and disturbing directions.
    Yeah, this is a great little series to dive into. We loved it. Pretty crazy stuff.

Anyone get into Yellowjackets?

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Anyone get into Yellowjackets?
    Yes. Great stuff but probably need it’s own thread to avoid spoilers (cough, Lottie, uncough).

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Yes. Great stuff but probably need it’s own thread to avoid spoilers (cough, Lottie, uncough).
    Right. Was wondering if we needed a thread, or if there's not enough folks watching. I enjoyed it immensely. The acting is quite good

Right. Was wondering if we needed a thread, or if there's not enough folks watching. I enjoyed it immensely. The acting is quite good
    It is decent and does have a lot of great actors. Apparently not all of those actors are happy about the shows production — unhappy enough to go public about it while the show is ongoing. Both Christina Ricci and Melanie Lynskey (Rose on Two and a Half Men) have complained about how they were treated by production staff. “Rose’s” complaint sounded legitimate - comments made by a set producer about her weight. Can’t say same for Ricci - her gripe is that when she puts on the ugly wig and glasses the crew doesn’t give her the respect due an actor who is “third on the call sheet” (her words, not mine). And no, she wasn’t laughing about it.

And yes, I AM embarrassed that I know this!

Quote Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
    It is decent and does have a lot of great actors. Apparently not all of those actors are happy about the shows production — unhappy enough to go public about it while the show is ongoing. Both Christina Ricci and Melanie Lynskey (Rose on Two and a Half Men) have complained about how they were treated by production staff. “Rose’s” complaint sounded legitimate - comments made by a set producer about her weight. Can’t say same for Ricci - her gripe is that when she puts on the ugly wig and glasses the crew doesn’t give her the respect due an actor who is “third on the call sheet” (her words, not mine). And no, she wasn’t laughing about it.

And yes, I AM embarrassed that I know this!
    I read those articles as well, but I saw them differently:

Lynskey's role is a victory for women who aren't rail skinny. She looks like actually human females you see in the universe rather than a supermodel (I think she's quite attractive, but I suspect she doesn't care one whit). She doesn't fit the Hollywood mold of "if you aren't drop dead gorgeous, you are 'fat' and exist for comic relief." She's breaking stereotypes in very good ways.

As for Ricci, I understood her to be saying that her character she played was so intentionally awkward that it affected how people treated her in general on the set. That seems a success in terms of her acting and the costume/wardrobe. Her character is supposed to make you feel oogy and weird.

Anyway, might be my rose-tinted glasses (I actually literally had rose-tinted glasses unironically for a few years after college), but I saw both of those commentaries as positives.

I saw it in theaters (remember when?) in 2019 when it came out. It’s now on regular TV, well, regularly. But in these times, covid, so decisive….I watched again with awe “A Beautiful Day In The Neighborhood” with Tom Hanks. I wish Mr. Rogers was around now and wonder what he would have to say about how folks are behaving.

I read those articles as well, but I saw them differently:

Lynskey's role is a victory for women who aren't rail skinny. She looks like actually human females you see in the universe rather than a supermodel (I think she's quite attractive, but I suspect she doesn't care one whit). She doesn't fit the Hollywood mold of "if you aren't drop dead gorgeous, you are 'fat' and exist for comic relief." She's breaking stereotypes in very good ways.

As for Ricci, I understood her to be saying that her character she played was so intentionally awkward that it affected how people treated her in general on the set. That seems a success in terms of her acting and the costume/wardrobe. Her character is supposed to make you feel oogy and weird.

Anyway, might be my rose-tinted glasses (I actually literally had rose-tinted glasses unironically for a few years after college), but I saw both of those commentaries as positives.
    I had 100% same take on Lynskey. She can do no wrong in my book.

At first I thought Ricci’s observation about being treated differently because of the way she looked even though everyone knew it was still her was interesting from a sociological point of view. I expected her takeaway would be to appreciate the advantages attractive people have in how they are treated compared to unattractive people. But to me she went in opposite direction when she brought up her position on the call sheet. Sounded like she was complaining they started treating her like the plebes, not giving her the deference she deserves.

Not that I care whether Ricci is nice or stuck up. My only real takeaway was that the Yellowjackets set might not have the best work environment. Actors don’t normally go public with complaints mid-shoot. Lots of disincentives to do so.

Anyone watching Peacemaker on HBO Max? Typical James Gunn fun and I love how they are showing the good and bad sides of John Cena's character. The dialogue is very quippy, like everything Gunn does. Lots of interesting stuff to explore here with Robert Patrick playing some kind of White Supremacist leader who is also Peacemaker's dad.

I kinda can't believe that a writer/director like Gunn took the time to write 8 episodes and direct 5 of them for a streaming TV show... but we have moved into the era of streaming content being just as important and lucrative as theatrical. Gunn is now a major driving force in both the Marvel and DC universes while cranking out award-quality stuff. Pretty darn impressive. Can't wait for Guardians 3!
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Anybody else been watching Cobra Kai? As a fan of the original series of films, I have to say this series is fantastic. They do a great job with the finales each season, and this year's ending is no exception.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDukie View Post
    Anybody else been watching Cobra Kai? As a fan of the original series of films, I have to say this series is fantastic. They do a great job with the finales each season, and this year's ending is no exception.
    I watch it while I'm on the elliptical and put it in the category of mindless fun. I get somewhat annoyed at the importance these men (not the women!) put on running a dojo and the All Valley Tournament (Get a life, people!), but whatevs. It passes the time.

If you haven't watched The Great, about Catherine the Great, on Hulu then do yourself a favor and check it out. It's very quirky but loads of fun.
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    I watch it while I'm on the elliptical and put it in the category of mindless fun. I get somewhat annoyed at the importance these men (not the women!) put on running a dojo and the All Valley Tournament (Get a life, people!), but whatevs. It passes the time.
    I probably give it higher marks purely for the nostalgia. They do such a good job incorporating different characters from the 80's films.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDukie View Post
    I very much enjoyed the first season. Need to dig back in.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post

If you haven't watched The Great, about Catherine the Great, on Hulu then do yourself a favor and check it out. It's very quirky but loads of fun.
    Are there … equestrian sports?

Quote Originally Posted by A-Tex Devil View Post
    Highly recommend Station Eleven on HBO Max. I didn’t read the book. But it’s excellent. If you liked the last two seasons of Leftovers, similar vibes.
    Second the strong recommendation of Station Eleven. This is one of my favorite drama series in a long time. It may seem odd that a TV series about a global pandemic and the aftermath could be moving and uplifting during a global pandemic. But it is.

I did read the book but I only had vague recollections (it was released in 2014) of the main characters and plot points. I went back and re-read it after finishing the TV series. The main characters and plot points are the same as the book but the TV series changes some of the connections between the main characters. This creates new material that I think works really well.

You know how the book is nearly always better than the movie/TV adaptation? I think the Station Eleven TV series is better than the book and the book was pretty darn good.

A-Tex Devil: You posted your recommendation before the finale aired. What did you think of the finale?
    Coach K on Kyle Singler - "What position does he play? ... He plays winner."

"Duke is never the underdog" - Quinn Cook

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Are there … equestrian sports?
    No, but the topic does come up! Very humorously so. Great show.

Neilsen has released their list of top streaming TV and movies for the past year. They measure by number of minutes streamed, so a TV series that has dozens of episodes is going to score a lot higher than a movie with a 2 hour run time.

Anyway, the lists are really interesting --

Movies: Wow, Disney really dominates here in a big way. The house of mouse really knows how to make movies and market them!

Original TV Shows: Netflix takes command. That Squid Game number is really impressive considering it only has 9 episodes. You can also see why Handmaid's Tale is so important to Hulu. I bet they will find the money to convince everyone to make another season (or two).

Non-original TV Shows: Still a ton of Netflix. You can also see on this list why those "legacy" programs are such a huge driver of revenue for the streamers.

Considering how much they have invested into Prime, it has to be frustrating to Amazon to barely show up on these lists. I suspect we will see them pour more money into stars who bring eyeballs. The Tomorrow War was a mediocre sci-fi film but having Chris Pratt made it a hit.
    Last edited by JasonEvans; 01-21-2022 at 01:12 PM.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

I am amazed how much my taste differs from the general public and probably from most of this board. I tend to watch non-recurring shows/movies. Of the listed movies I may have watched two. I haven't watched more than one streamed episode of any of the series.

What do I watch? As I said, mostly special non-recurring shows or movies. The main series I watch are science shows, NOVA and such.

Here's a sampling from various streaming services of shows I have watched at least a good portion of. They're in reverse order of release date.

Netflix
    Five Feet Apart - 2019
    Brain on Fire - 2016
    Mr Right - 2015
    Begin Again - 2013

Amazon Prime
    Alienated - 2021
    The Map of Tiny Perfect Things - 2021
    Yesterday - 2019
    Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day - 2007
    Garden State - 2004
    Little Big Man - 1970
    We’re No Angels - 1955 (THE Christmas Movie)

Apple TV +
    Coda - 2021
    Finch - 2021

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Neilsen has released their list of top streaming TV and movies for the past year. They measure by number of minutes streamed, so a TV series that has dozens of episodes is going to score a lot higher than a movie with a 2 hour run time.

Anyway, the lists are really interesting --

Movies: Wow, Disney really dominates here in a big way. The house of mouse really knows how to make movies and market them!

Original TV Shows: Netflix takes command. That Squid Game number is really impressive considering it only has 9 episodes. You can also see why Handmaid's Tale is so important to Hulu. I bet they will find the money to convince everyone to make another season (or two).

Non-original TV Shows: Still a ton of Netflix. You can also see on this list why those "legacy" programs are such a huge driver of revenue for the streamers.

Considering how much they have invested into Prime, it has to be frustrating to Amazon to barely show up on these lists. I suspect we will see them pour more money into stars who bring eyeballs. The Tomorrow War was a mediocre sci-fi film but having Chris Pratt made it a hit.
    Something tells me that their LOTR series will put them on these lists pretty easily.