Page 93 of 164 FirstFirst ... 43839192939495103143 ... LastLast
Results 1,841 to 1,860 of 3263
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Key question -- will your girlfriend tolerate some Honk Kong style Kung Fu action cause there is a fair bit of that in EEAAO. That's the reason I did not bother to take my wife to see it, that just isn't her cup of tea.

That said, even if you don't like choreographed martial arts fighting, there is a ton ton ton of fun stuff in this film. The audience score is 91%, so the vast majority of folks who see it really enjoy it.

I adore this!! Wish I had thought of that description.
    I think she'll have a blast. We are both looking forward to seeing a "totally new to us" movie in the theater (with our lunch in our recliner seats). That's pretty rare, since we hardly ever go to the movies anyway. What we see is usually a sequel or a franchise film; in fact I think the last "original" movie we saw out was The Help.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    I think she'll have a blast. We are both looking forward to seeing a "totally new to us" movie in the theater (with our lunch in our recliner seats). That's pretty rare, since we hardly ever go to the movies anyway. What we see is usually a sequel or a franchise film; in fact I think the last "original" movie we saw out was The Help.
    So we went today. (If you have an Alamo Draft House near you, GO! So fun!) Gf did like it, but wasn't enamored. We both agreed that we won't see a weirder movie this year, even if we tried. I laughed lots. And cried. So can't say it doesn't tweak at emotions. And when it's out streaming, I'll be watching it again for sure.

It reminded me A LOT of that one movie, maybe a little too much...what's the name of it...oh yeah. Rattacoonie.

PS...The Alamo did something that I really enjoyed before the movie started. They showed featurettes with a couple of the primary actors (including Yeoh) and both the directors. It was so much better than watching "come drink Coke at our concession stand" ads. And the reclining seats with the table for my draft craft were perfect.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

New Kids in the Hall are back. It’s — something.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    New Kids in the Hall are back. It’s — something.
    Been watching Superstore. Nice stop gap.

Why do I keep giving M Night Shyamalan a chance? Better question: why do studios?

Operation Mincemeat was a very good book, but Netflix made an unfortunate hash of the movie...

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Operation Mincemeat was a very good book, but Netflix made an unfortunate hash of the movie...
    I've always been fond of the 1956 movie, "The Man Who Never Was" for my portion of mincemeat.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Why do I keep giving M Night Shyamalan a chance? Better question: why do studios?
    Did you just watch Old? What brought this on?

Studios don’t give him a chance, he has not used studio money to make a picture in many years. Ever since the disaster that was After Earth he has financed his movies himself (using his own money and also getting investors) and then he gets a studio (Universal) to distribute it. He keeps the sets and effects and stuff to a minimum to ensure the movies don’t cost a lot. All his recent pictures have made a tidy profit, though you can tell the story is beholden to the budget (that’s why Glass had such a low-key, unimpressive ending battle).
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Studios don’t give him a chance, he has not used studio money to make a picture in many years. Ever since the disaster that was After Earth he has financed his movies himself (using his own money and also getting investors) and then he gets a studio (Universal) to distribute it. He keeps the sets and effects and stuff to a minimum to ensure the movies don’t cost a lot. All his recent pictures have made a tidy profit, though you can tell the story is beholden to the budget (that’s why Glass had such a low-key, unimpressive ending battle).
    After Earth - $130 mil budget
    The Visit - $5 mil
    Split - $8 mil
    Glass - $20 mil
    Old - $18 mil
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Yes, we watched Old last night. To be fair, "we" included my Scottish in-laws who have a little So I Married an Axe Murderer parents in them so they were voicing their opinions during the movie loudly and often.

It wasn't great though, IMO. Didn't particularly care about any of the characters involved, clunky dialogue and the twist was probably the least twist-y of his notoriously twist-y movies. The reveal at the end would be an interesting premise for an entire movie. Not directed by M Night though.

It wasn't The Happening though so it does have THAT going for it.

Just went to the theater for the first time since the pandemic. SonPK and I enjoyed The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent.

McD's is picking up their hamburger and going home. (But leaving behind the broken ice cream machine.)
    McDonald’s became the symbol of glasnost in action 30 years ago when it opened its first restaurant in Moscow. But after temporarily shutting down more than 800 restaurants following the invasion of Ukraine, McDonald’s has decided to leave Russia altogether.
    https://www.cnn.com/2022/05/16/busin...xit/index.html

McD's is picking up their hamburger and going home. (But leaving behind the broken ice cream machine.)

Methinks this may be in the wrong thread...

Not if it’s an 8 part miniseries coming to Netflix

Quote Originally Posted by acdevil View Post
    It's not. Yet!

When it is, I hope they remember to thank you for the idea though.

(And yes, oops, wrong thread. Mods please delete.)

Quote Originally Posted by acdevil View Post
    I hear Benedict Cumberbatch is playing Putin.

There's nothing wrong with the new Downton Abbey film. It is perfectly fine. But it also takes zero risks and ends up feeling like it exists largely to provide fan service at every turn.

Here is my 100-word review: https://flixchat.blogspot.com/2022/0...s-downton.html

Yes, we watched Old last night. To be fair, "we" included my Scottish in-laws who have a little So I Married an Axe Murderer parents in them so they were voicing their opinions during the movie loudly and often.

It wasn't great though, IMO. Didn't particularly care about any of the characters involved, clunky dialogue and the twist was probably the least twist-y of his notoriously twist-y movies. The reveal at the end would be an interesting premise for an entire movie. Not directed by M Night though.

It wasn't The Happening though so it does have THAT going for it.
    “Look at the size of that boys heeded! It’s like an orange on a toothpick! It’s a virtual planetoid! Has its own weather system! That boys head is like Sputnik!”

Love that movie.

Not something that most anyone here can take advantage of, but this will be fun. (Ironically, the weather needs to behave and be rain free.)

New Bern is kicking off their Movies in the Park series again, which is so much fun. They haul out a massive blow up movie screen to one of our local parks, and have drive ins at it. $5 per car load.
    My girlfriend has long told me that her fav movie (long told as in I knew on our very first date) is Twister. And VOILA! It's finally on the docket this year!

So I got us tix for this Friday. Now here's the fun part. Obviously in Twister a tornado hits the drive in. Guess what?

Literally two weeks ago, a tornado touched down on that very spot where the movie is being shown. (And it went over our house and broke lots of stuff on our porch that we'll miss forever.)

I mean, how many times has Twister been shown at a Drive In that actually got Twisted too?!

Not something that most anyone here can take advantage of, but this will be fun. (Ironically, the weather needs to behave and be rain free.)

New Bern is kicking off their Movies in the Park series again, which is so much fun. They haul out a massive blow up movie screen to one of our local parks, and have drive ins at it. $5 per car load.
    My girlfriend has long told me that her fav movie (long told as in I knew on our very first date) is Twister. And VOILA! It's finally on the docket this year!

So I got us tix for this Friday. Now here's the fun part. Obviously in Twister a tornado hits the drive in. Guess what?

Literally two weeks ago, a tornado touched down on that very spot where the movie is being shown. (And it went over our house and broke lots of stuff on our porch that we'll miss forever.)

I mean, how many times has Twister been shown at a Drive In that actually got Twisted too?!
    Inception level thinking detected...