Page 1 of 146 1231151101 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Movies/TV worth watching (or at least discussing)

So, I thought we could have a place where we can let each other know if we saw something really good (or really bad) on VOD or streaming or whatever.

I'll start with my review of a film that is hitting VOD this weekend, How to Build a Girl. It stars Beanie Feldstein, Jonah Hill's sister and the star of Booksmart.
    https://flixchat.blogspot.com/2020/0...ws-how-to.html

Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Outer Banks on Netflix.

No.

Just so much No.

Quote Originally Posted by PSurprise View Post
    Outer Banks on Netflix.

No.

Just so much No.
    Agreed. I was interested, just because. It's bad.

Quote Originally Posted by PSurprise View Post
    Outer Banks on Netflix.

No.

Just so much No.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Agreed. I was interested, just because. It's bad.

Hah, hah! So, if you have spent ANY time on either Carolina coast, this show pisses you off. It is definitely not the Outer Banks, it's South Carolina. We have family a bit north of Charleston and it just annoys the crap out of us that it's called OBX but nowhere close to Duck or Wilmington or wherever it's based on.

Also, the dudes in the show are NOT southern coastal boys. Not even close. They should be in San Diego.

Other than that, the show also sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Hah, hah! So, if you have spent ANY time on either Carolina coast, this show pisses you off. It is definitely not the Outer Banks, it's South Carolina. We have family a bit north of Charleston and it just annoys the crap out of us that it's called OBX but nowhere close to Duck or Wilmington or wherever it's based on.

Also, the dudes in the show are NOT southern coastal boys. Not even close. They should be in San Diego.

I mean, it’s a teen drama that’s not meant for adults to love. That’s like saying you dislike paw patrol.

Quote Originally Posted by LasVegas View Post
    I mean, it’s a teen drama that’s not meant for adults to love. That’s like saying you dislike paw patrol.
    Whoa, shots fired! How dare you imply I dislike Paw Patrol!

Eh, most of my Outerbanks complaints are related to it completely whiffing on capturing the people and places of its namesake. It would be like if Paw Patrol were about a band of police parrots.

It would be like if Paw Patrol were about a band of police parrots.
    Wouldn't that be Caw Patrol?

Whoa, shots fired! How dare you imply I dislike Paw Patrol!

Eh, most of my Outerbanks complaints are related to it completely whiffing on capturing the people and places of its namesake. It would be like if Paw Patrol were about a band of police parrots.
    If you like Paw Patrol, you will need to get your brain examined because that show is about as bad as it gets. My kids love it and I just can’t wait till they are too old to want to watch it!

Quote Originally Posted by LasVegas View Post
    If you like Paw Patrol, you will need to get your brain examined because that show is about as bad as it gets. My kids love it and I just can’t wait till they are too old to want to watch it!
    My son is 4 months old so I'm mentally psyching myself up to go all in on Paw Patrol in a few years. Figured best to start now. Maybe you're doing the same thing with Outerbanks for when your children hit their teenage years? There is some appealing teenage eye candy and the lead always wears a scarf around his neck, which is cool, and really sets him apart as a rebel.

My son is 4 months old so I'm mentally psyching myself up to go all in on Paw Patrol in a few years. Figured best to start now. Maybe you're doing the same thing with Outerbanks for when your children hit their teenage years? There is some appealing teenage eye candy and the lead always wears a scarf around his neck, which is cool, and really sets him apart as a rebel.
    You're going to get yourself all prepared for Paw Patrol, and then the hot show for kids in a few years will be something totally different and all that preparation will be for nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    Wouldn't that be Caw Patrol?
    Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    You're going to get yourself all prepared for Paw Patrol, and then the hot show for kids in a few years will be something totally different and all that preparation will be for nothing.
    Hopefully it's Brevity's new show. I'm intrigued by this crime-fighting band of parrots.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Exactly. My kids are finally leaving this stage. Paw Patrol was fairly tolerable. Daniel Tiger (a Mr. Rogers spin-off) was my favorite as they were teaching something (though the fact that Daniel wears pants to sleep but not the rest of the time always got me!). We went through some long Thomas phases which were challenging. Most shows on regular TV try to have at least some redeeming educational value, though on some shows it is easier to find than on others.

Some of the new Youtube crap is what really gets me. This kid Ryan and his insufferable parents make tens of millions of dollars and are totally moronic.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Exactly. My kids are finally leaving this stage. Paw Patrol was fairly tolerable. Daniel Tiger (a Mr. Rogers spin-off) was my favorite as they were teaching something (though the fact that Daniel wears pants to sleep but not the rest of the time always got me!). We went through some long Thomas phases which were challenging. Most shows on regular TV try to have at least some redeeming educational value, though on some shows it is easier to find than on others.

Some of the new Youtube crap is what really gets me. This kid Ryan and his insufferable parents make tens of millions of dollars and are totally moronic.
    Sounds like that last paragraph warrants a post in the "Everyone loves it but I hate it" thread.

Partly Orlando, FL partly heard Sandpoint, ID
    Quote Originally Posted by left_hook_lacey View Post
    Sounds like that last paragraph warrants a post in the "Everyone loves it but I hate it" thread.
    My daughter has left the Paw Patrol stage... now we have 9 seasons of My Little Pony + a movie to work through. The only non animated movies I’ve seen of late would be the live action Disney movies...

Quote Originally Posted by Deslok View Post
    My daughter has left the Paw Patrol stage... now we have 9 seasons of My Little Pony + a movie to work through. The only non animated movies I’ve seen of late would be the live action Disney movies...
    Ah yes, the my little pony and cartoon movie days.

I loathed it at the time, but now that my daughter is a very mature 11 year old, I miss the days of her never getting out of her my little pony pajamas on Saturdays and asking me to watch Frozen with her for the nth time. Now, she comes downstairs, fixes her breakfast, says "hi", then disappears back into her lair never to be seen again until lunch.

Coming 2 America

Anyone see it? Heidi (wife) and I saw it last night. She liked it more than I did. Some clever parts (cameo singer roles), but predictable.

Thoughts?

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Quote Originally Posted by duke74 View Post
    Anyone see it? Heidi (wife) and I saw it last night. She liked it more than I did. Some clever parts (cameo singer roles), but predictable.

Thoughts?
    Eh. Tried too hard to duplicate the original without the charm. It’s hard to duplicate Eddie Murphy of 1988. As you mentioned, very predictable.

(Doesn’t help that I’m not a fan of Leslie Jones’s loud brand of humor.)

Ok, for those like me into (sappy) RomComs, try Lovehard on Netflix.

Cute, appealing characters - and without trying to spoil, pays homage to my favorite RomCom, Love Actually.

And by the way, it is also set during the Christmas season.

We enjoyed it.but I live near Charleston and have family in real outer banks.
    I see them everywhere I fish and gig flounder so I get a laugh out of it.
    I know that water very well.
    Where they show that large boat sunk
    Isn't that deep 12 ft or so had a terrible tragedy boating accident right there. I won't fish there out of respect for the woman whom lost her life.
    New boat owners riding the bow dead center.thats a big no no.
    All thier props are in a warehouse off of clements ferry road.
    Met some of the cast main actors at blue
    Iguana restaurant 8n goose creek.
    My daughter has a picture with Madison Bailey both with thier girlfriends ironically both are named Madison.
    Really nice actors actresses.
    1st two seasons were good but it sort of jumped the shark.

Sorry if this has been posted before. Has anyone watched The Bear on Hulu? It’s pretty good and one of the main characters is reading Leading with the Heart. Coach K is mentioned several times so much so that K sent a signed copy to the actress who is featured reading it (Ayo Edebiri).

https://variety.com/2023/tv/news/coa...ri-1235763175/
    Kyle gets BUCKETS!
    https://youtu.be/NJWPASQZqLc