Page 40 of 164 FirstFirst ... 3038394041425090140 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    The plot does not matter.
    I think you meant to type that in another thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Nrrrrvous View Post
    There, in all it's glory, was Hot *** Babes #10 in full color and sound! There were maybe a dozen people eating lunch at the time. The bartender's eyes were pretty wide as I ran back around the corner and hit stop.
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    That series had pretty much jumped the shark by then. Anything after #6 they were just phoning it in.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    For those that have seen it and are sharing (lots), feel free to make a spoilers thread for those of us who haven't.
    Watch the film like a kid would sit down with some popcorn and a Dr Pepper at the local Saturday Matinee in the 60’s and you’ll love it. Go in expecting deep stuff and you’ll be disappointed. I found it to be a refreshing and fun change of pace after the last dreary year.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    I think you meant to type that in another thread.
    Must spread sporks...
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Last night my wife and I happened upon The Ten Commandments...whoa, the sheer scope of the set, the costumes, the whole production is mindboggling. Some pretty funny stuff, too. Cecil B. DeMille didn't hold anything back...

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    You bet on the pretty big monkey versus the giant actual nuclear reactor lizard?
    My thought was there would be a sequel so Kong wins round 1. But I usually pay for dinner anyway. I just want to give him a hard time.

Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    My thought was there would be a sequel so Kong wins round 1. But I usually pay for dinner anyway. I just want to give him a hard time.
    So did you watch the movie yet?

We watched it tonight. A good time was had by all. It was also fun seeing Ricky Baker from the Hunt for the Wilder People in something else. Nancy Botwin's ex-drug lord beau wasn't great as the CEO baddie.

Fun monster fights. Not sure what's out there so I won't say more than that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    I'm 3/4 through this movie and have no earthly idea what is happening.
    Oh, yeah. We turned that part of our brains off. The reason to watch is in the title.
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDukie View Post
    I loved the film and felt like it flew by at two hours. And while I understand the director wanted to keep human actors’ screen time to a minimum I do believe the film could’ve stood another 20 minutes or so to help explain things.
    Agreed. Everything the humans did was rushed, storytelling wise.
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    It is Gozilla vs Kong with some good humans and some bad ones... there's almost nothing that could be spoiled that would change your outlook on the film. I can't recall a single moment of not knowing what would come next... and not caring either. The plot does not matter.

And when Harry Potter makes a hologram of Bilbo Baggins appears... I was blown away.
    All of the above and more! I just watched with my two older teens. We laughed, we cheered, we groaned (a lot), we booed, we laughed some more.

Just check your brain at the door and you'll be fine!
    "That young man has an extra step on his ladder the rest of us just don't have."

I am also interested in the answer to this question. Someone upthread made a statement I want to ask them the defend.

Maybe I was too quick to say "why bother with a spoiler thread?"

Ted Lasso and team on the SAG Awards (language NSFW):

https://twitter.com/appletv/status/1...489937409?s=21

No not yet. I’m not worried about spoilers. If Kong loses I’ll just Twerp and say he wuz robbed

I think this is like the 4th or 5th movie in this universe so, yeah, we’re way past sequels!

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    I am also interested in the answer to this question. Someone upthread made a statement I want to ask them the defend.

Maybe I was too quick to say "why bother with a spoiler thread?"
    This has me curious. Was it a statement about Godzilla or Ted Lasso or the Octopus?

Anyone watching “Tell Me Your Secrets” on Amazon prime? We are on episode 6 and we are really enjoying it.
    Kyle gets BUCKETS!
    https://youtu.be/NJWPASQZqLc

Quote Originally Posted by Furniture View Post
    Anyone watching “Tell Me Your Secrets” on Amazon prime? We are on episode 6 and we are really enjoying it.
    I watch and enjoyed. It’s like a number of suspense shows - sitting on the verge of jumping the shark. I prefer a limited series for that genre so I know the ending was decided at the beginning.

My wife and I finished the first 3 episodes of “Made for Love” on HBOMax and we like it a lot so far

I watched it and was pleased. Not much to add.

TCM is apparently having an "It Happened..." marathon today.

Up now: "It Happened on 5th Avenue" - a pleasant Christmas movie overshadowed by "Miracle on 34th Street"
    Then: "It Happened One Night" - a classic Clark Gable, Claudette Colbert movie
    Third: "It Happened Tomorrow" - I haven't seen that one.
    Last: "It Should Happen to You" - Judy Holliday and Jack Lemmon, what's not to like.

I'm all stove up with with a bad leg at the moment, so these should present some good diversions.

Really late to the party

Just finished (at last) Ken Burns' Baseball - and read a Jackie Robinson biography concurrently with it.

By and large I loved it, but:

I am tired of the National Anthem! Played at the start of each of the 9 parts. Can't imagine how ballplayers feel. Maybe they're numb to it.

it appears that he accepted uncritically some rather serious accusations about Ty Cobb written by Al Stump, which I understand is now discredited or dismissed as largely fictional. Not that revisionist history now has Cobb pegged for sainthood, but the worst things said about him are largely unsupported by contemporaneous accounts.

Interestingly, there's also the story of Pee Wee Reese and putting his arm around Robinson's shoulder. Not likely to have occurred in 1947, and maybe not Cincinnati either. If it occurred, more likely 1948, and might have been in Boston. Still quite a moment, but a later date does suggest Robinson having to shoulder the untamed jeers of the crowd alone, for longer.

I can't say enough positive things, though, about the quality of the commentary and storytelling by all interviewees in the project. Though one of my favorites, Okrent, seemed to go all-in with Stump's claims about Cobb. But Burns' documentary appears to pre-date the questioning of Stump's reliability by many years. Still ... aren't journalists (and by extension, documentarians) supposed to use multiple sources when possible? Fact check?

Kind of cool to hear John Chancellor's voice again.

I watch and enjoyed. It’s like a number of suspense shows - sitting on the verge of jumping the shark. I prefer a limited series for that genre so I know the ending was decided at the beginning.
    Started last night. First episode started a bit slow and dark, some production issues like choppy sound editing, but I was into it by the second episode and binged four. Agree it often seems on verge of going off rails but then picks up steam again (did I just mix metaphors - or not?) Overall I’m enjoying it - thanks for recs!

I hate zombie stories, am allergic to Netflix, and don't really care for Zack Snyder, but when he makes a trailer, I watch it.