Page 76 of 164 FirstFirst ... 2666747576777886126 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,520 of 3263
    Quote Originally Posted by DU82 View Post
    I'm enjoying Ghosts, Thursdays at 9 on CBS.
    Ghosts and B Positive make a (DVR delayed) hate-watch pair for me. I'm fine with the premise of Ghosts, but its execution defies the TV rules of common sense. There are too many ghosts stuck in one house, which means too many characters who have nowhere else to be. Literature tells us that ghosts linger after death because they have unfinished business, and so it looked like the show could progress as Sam helped the ghosts move on. But then they blew it when Sam provided closure for the Viking, and then he stuck around. (Except in the last 2 episodes, where he and the colonial woman were curiously nowhere to be found.) Because Sam can see ghosts everywhere, but the ghosts never leave, the bloated cast can only get bigger. Where is this show going?

I hope someone eventually writes a book or a longform article about the giant mess that is B Positive, the only laughtrack comedy I watch, and only because I'm morbidly fascinated by the constant backstage tinkering of the show. Something changes every damn week. Cast members added, cast members disappear, the premise is revamped, the showrunner leaves, the opening credits go from animated singing kidneys to a Broadway number, etc. And they still refuse to get rid of the sad-sack, uncharismatic, real-life-problematic leading man. Maybe. It's terrible and I can't look away.

Quote Originally Posted by Kdogg View Post
    There are so many things wrong with this show but I can’t look away. It’s actually a hit for a new network show in this day and age.

They are back in time not hollow earth.
    Ah. Never mind... I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Kdogg View Post
    There are so many things wrong with this show but I can’t look away. It’s actually a hit for a new network show in this day and age.

They are back in time not hollow earth.
    Ah. Never mind.

My son and I just binged season 1 of Norsemen (six episodes, only about 3 hours). Fantastic.

Great recommendation from the community!!!! Not for everyone — but great if it’s for you.

Just started Peaky Blinders, sad I am late to this. Only saw two episodes so no spoilers please, but a fun start.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Just started Peaky Blinders, sad I am late to this. Only saw two episodes so no spoilers please, but a fun start.
    Let us know if you're able to watch without captions. You'd be the first person I know.
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Great show. One of my favorites . Alfie is my favorite character but you won’t meet him until S2.

Now Peaky Blinders, that’s NOT a Christmas-y show!

I just couldn't wait any longer... I saw this more than a week ago and it does not open in my market for a couple more weeks. I don't care, I had to put my review out.

Here is my 100-word review of what will almost certainly be the best film of 2021, Licorice Pizza: https://flixchat.blogspot.com/2021/1...-licorice.html

A funny and revealing film that will hit your heart and your head. My face hurt from smiling so much.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

My son and I just binged season 1 of Norsemen (six episodes, only about 3 hours). Fantastic.

Great recommendation from the community!!!! Not for everyone — but great if it’s for you.
    Thanks for this recommendation - a really fun show to watch (and easy to watch). It felt very Monty-Pythony!
    My Quick Smells Like French Toast.

Quote Originally Posted by Channing View Post
    Thanks for this recommendation - a really fun show to watch (and easy to watch). It felt very Monty-Pythony!
    Agreed on the Python.

And I owe the recommendation to someone on this thread or someone over at Deeber — I only heard of it within the last month. It is well-done.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Recently I finished The Last Kingdom, which I decided to check out after watching all of Vikings. I really enjoyed both shows (I liked Vikings more), and it was interesting to see the same historic characters appear or at least get mentioned.

Plus, I enjoy the history of that era. There is lots that is truly unknown about Viking culture, so the shows get to play with a bit of freedom.
    That being said, two nights ago I started Norsemen on Netflix. It is HILARIOUS!
    Think "The Office" in late 8th century Norway. Having watched the afore mentioned shows probably helps me enjoy it more, but even if you haven't you'd likely have fun.
    We seem to have similar taste in TV shows because I loved Vikings and the Last Kingdom and also just watched Norsemen per a suggestion on this thread. If you enjoy those period-style shows, a couple to consider:

1. Hell on Wheels (the trans-continental railroad);
    2. Frontier (the fur trade in colonial America);
    3. Poldark (Redcoat returning to England after fighting in the Revolutionary War)
    My Quick Smells Like French Toast.

Clearly not enough Paloma time. Assuming she'll be the new Felix Leiter going forward.

WGA lists the greatest screenplays of the 21st century.
    So far, obviously...

Top 10

10. Memento
    9. Almost Famous
    8. Inglorious Bastards (Meh...)
    7. There Will Be Blood
    6. Moonlight
    5. No Country for Old Men (Love this choice)
    4. Parasite
    3. Social Network (Mixed emotions)
    2. Eternal Sunshine for the Spotless Mind (Love this choice)
    1. Get Out

Other notables in Top 20
    Bridesmaids (I love this choice), Brokeback Mountain (arguable for top 10), Sideways, Royal Tenenbaums, Her (I hate this choice), Lost in Translation...

Discuss.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    WGA lists the greatest screenplays of the 21st century.
    So far, obviously...

Top 10

10. Memento
    9. Almost Famous
    8. Inglorious Bastards (Meh...)
    7. There Will Be Blood
    6. Moonlight
    5. No Country for Old Men (Love this choice)
    4. Parasite
    3. Social Network (Mixed emotions)
    2. Eternal Sunshine for the Spotless Mind (Love this choice)
    1. Get Out

Other notables in Top 20
    Bridesmaids (I love this choice), Brokeback Mountain (arguable for top 10), Sideways, Royal Tenenbaums, Her (I hate this choice), Lost in Translation...

Discuss.
    Other than Almost Famous, which was incredible, several of these movies have the same tone to them. The few I have seen I hated - Royal Tenenbaums was one of the only movies I have walked out of and Sideways was insufferable.

I don’t watch movies as much anymore but I don’t think this is a very accurate list. Though I struggle to think of alternatives off the top of my head.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Other than Almost Famous, which was incredible, several of these movies have the same tone to them. The few I have seen I hated - Royal Tenenbaums was one of the only movies I have walked out of and Sideways was insufferable.

I don’t watch movies as much anymore but I don’t think this is a very accurate list. Though I struggle to think of alternatives off the top of my head.
    I continue to believe that we are multiple personalities of the same person.

Couldn’t agree more on Tenenbaums and Sideways.

I’m surprised how many on the list I haven’t seen at all.

Some people apparently like Merlot….

(Yeah, not terribly inspiring list)

Some people apparently like Merlot….

(Yeah, not terribly inspiring list)
    What are the better scripts of the 21st century in your opinion?

Quote Originally Posted by acdevil View Post
    I continue to believe that we are multiple personalities of the same person.

Couldn’t agree more on Tenenbaums and Sideways.

I’m surprised how many on the list I haven’t seen at all.
    I got a kick out of sideways but not sure the script is top 20 for the 21st century.

I’m not a big Anderson film fan but they’re certainly written in a particular style and I can appreciate its unique genius even if it’s not for me.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    What are the better scripts of the 21st century in your opinion?
    I’ll give it some thought tonight.