Page 98 of 164 FirstFirst ... 488896979899100108148 ... LastLast
Results 1,941 to 1,960 of 3263
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Looking forward to Jason Evans' thoughts on new Thor.
    Ditto. The reviews aren't shining (in fact as they've been coming in, the RT rating has been dropping through the day from mid 70s to at 70 now), but they seem to appreciate the humor.

And I've got no doubt that they could all say it sucks, it would still be giving Top Gun a run for the money.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

I watched a lot of TV over the long weekend. I thought Peaky Blinders final season (6) was entertaining and worthy of a great show. I understand that they turned what, in reality, was a gang of small-time ruffians into an international super ninja crime ring but the show was interesting and entertaining as was the music. Without giving away too much, I was very happy that my favorite recurring character, Alfie, reappeared for the finale.

Mrs. Lotus and I also enjoyed, “Under the Banner of Heaven” on Hulu.

I’ll also echo praise for “The Old Man” and I’m looking forward to the final 3 first season episodes when they drop but I’m disappointed that a season 2 has been approved. The story seems ideal for a limited series and I’m afraid they will just drag it out and make it dumb.

Look, it isn't a disaster or unwatchable, but Thor: Love and Thunder isn't nearly up to the standards of Ragnarok. Here is my 100-word review: https://flixchat.blogspot.com/2022/0...thor-love.html

Waititi is trying too hard and the result is a terribly uneven viewing experience with juvenile jokes alongside deep existential questions.
    thor-love-and-thunder-movie-film-2022-promo.jpg
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Look, it isn't a disaster or unwatchable, but Thor: Love and Thunder isn't nearly up to the standards of Ragnarok. Here is my 100-word review: https://flixchat.blogspot.com/2022/0...thor-love.html

Shame. Until Ragnarok, I didn't give Thor two thoughts. But that movie was nothing but fun. It definitely elevated my expectations for this new movie.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Shame. Until Ragnarok, I didn't give Thor two thoughts. But that movie was nothing but fun. It definitely elevated my expectations for this new movie.
    Waititi was due for a miss. Better with Thor than with Star Wars.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Meanwhile, I dare you to watch the brand new trailer for Amsterdam and not leave with your jaw on the floor from the cast. Like every ten seconds they reveal another member of the troupe and you just go, "who else can be in this film!?!??!"

David O. Russell hasn't done a film since 2015... we missed ya, big fella!
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

I'm interested in hearing from folks as they see it this weekend... maybe I judged it too harshly. It does have many humorous moments and I won't be entirely shocked if audiences like it more than critics did (currently at 68% on rotten tomatoes).

I'm interested in hearing from folks as they see it this weekend... maybe I judged it too harshly. It does have many humorous moments and I won't be entirely shocked if audiences like it more than critics did (currently at 68% on rotten tomatoes).
    So, did none of ya'll go to see it?

See what?

thorloveandthunder.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    Gotta spread comments, but well done.

I'll go. Saw it yesterday and thought it was good. I tend to like the funnier more light hearted Marvel movies such as Ragnarok, Guardians, etc so I may have liked it more than others. It's goofy and predictable but at the end of the day a good time at the movies. I will say I liked Ragnarok better.
    "The future ain't what it used to be."

Italian movies

I spent an enjoyable week traveling Italy by film (and one book). In the spirit of Jason E, here are some mini-reviews:https://subgameperfect.substack.com/...t-flight-italy

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    I enjoyed it. My favorite characters* were

thor joke 3.jpg

*To honor the heritage of the main characters please use local pronunciation for all names
    Coach K on Kyle Singler - "What position does he play? ... He plays winner."

"Duke is never the underdog" - Quinn Cook

Finally saw Top Gun. Theater was full on a Tuesday night. I'm a big fan of the first one though a bit rusty on it - wish I had watched it again more recently. The movie was a lot of fun - if you loved the first one, you will enjoy this one. I'm definitely glad I saw it on the big screen. This was my first time back in a movie theater since Covid.

It is not some brilliant work of cinematic art, but if you want to turn off your brain and just be entertained, you can do a lot worse than the crazy action ride that is Netflix's The Gray Man. It stars Ryan Gosling, Ana de Armas, and Chris Evans and is the first film from Marvel directing superstars Joe and Anthony Russo since they finished Avengers: Endgame. Here is my 100-word review: https://flixchat.blogspot.com/2022/0...-gray-man.html

Ryan Gosling plays a covert CIA assassin code named Sierra Six. He is a legend for his lethality and we see him use fireworks, flashlights, and even water as weapons in this film.

You can see every penny of the $200 million budget on screen here with set pieces so over the top, they force the story to take a bit of a back seat.

I'm very happy that What We Do In The Shadows is back.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    I'm very happy that What We Do In The Shadows is back.
    Agreed. It's a fun show.

Looking forward to Jason’s review of Nope. Very early buzz is quite good.

Quote Originally Posted by dpslaw View Post
    Looking forward to Jason’s review of Nope. Very early buzz is quite good.
    The preview looked awful, IMO. It's going to take a pretty good review to overcome that, but I will read with interest.

Has anyone seen Where The Crawdads Sing? The book was superb (I thought) but I hope the movie version doesn't ruin it. Not sure if I want to see it for that reason. Anyone seen it? Heard anything?