Page 33 of 164 FirstFirst ... 2331323334354383133 ... LastLast
    So, obviously I'm rather excited about The Muppet Show.
    Answering a question from upthread: Seasons 1-3 were released in their entirety on DVD in 2005/6, but then they just never released Seasons 4 & 5.
    They used to rerun them on Nickelodeon back in the early aughts, so I've already seen almost every episode, but some of them only via crappy YouTube uploads (the Johnny Cash episode for example), and there are a handful I've never seen (such as the Debbie Harry episode).
    I'm nearly finished with Season 1 now...working my way through in chronological order. It's funnier than I remembered, and should honestly be studied as a modern(ish) version of the traditional variety show...that sort of thing just doesn't exist anymore, and for my money is the very best employment of the Muppets as originally conceived.

My 100 word review of The United States Versus Billie Holliday, which features a truly stunning lead performance but has some real directing/story problems.

https://flixchat.blogspot.com/2021/0...ws-united.html

Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    My 100 word review of The United States Versus Billie Holliday, which features a truly stunning lead performance but has some real directing/story problems.

https://flixchat.blogspot.com/2021/0...ws-united.html
    I was kind of surprised that you did not add a disclaimer to this particular review, seeing as how you've previously said on DBR that your family has a working/fiduciary connection to Andra Day. I had an eyebrow-raising level of skepticism before I read the 100 words, which turned into head-shaking disappointment when I was finished. You praise her courageous performance and seamless transition into acting, but then conclude it with the line "sign me up for whatever Andra Day does next". That's practically a business sentiment.

The average reader of Flixchat would not know your family connection. With a disclaimer, they can choose to gauge the level of your praise given the vague conflict of interest. Without the disclaimer, they are forced to take your words at face value.

I don't know enough about the journalistic ethics of movie criticism (if any) to call you out, but there should at least have been some personal ethics factoring in here.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    I was kind of surprised that you did not add a disclaimer to this particular review, seeing as how you've previously said on DBR that your family has a working/fiduciary connection to Andra Day.
    I'm seriously impressed at your memory. That referenced post was from over 5 years ago.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    I'm seriously impressed at your memory. That referenced post was from over 5 years ago.
    I think Brevity is probably recollecting a mention on the Podcast recently. Sometime within the past couple weeks.
    "That young man has an extra step on his ladder the rest of us just don't have."

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    I was kind of surprised that you did not add a disclaimer to this particular review, seeing as how you've previously said on DBR that your family has a working/fiduciary connection to Andra Day. I had an eyebrow-raising level of skepticism before I read the 100 words, which turned into head-shaking disappointment when I was finished. You praise her courageous performance and seamless transition into acting, but then conclude it with the line "sign me up for whatever Andra Day does next". That's practically a business sentiment.

The average reader of Flixchat would not know your family connection. With a disclaimer, they can choose to gauge the level of your praise given the vague conflict of interest. Without the disclaimer, they are forced to take your words at face value.

I don't know enough about the journalistic ethics of movie criticism (if any) to call you out, but there should at least have been some personal ethics factoring in here.
    I was completely honest in my assessment of the film -- and it should be noted that many other critics are in full agreement with me that Day delivers a stunning performance, in what is otherwise a "messy movie." I mean, she has earned a ton of awards recognition so it ain't like I am going out on a limb to praise her.

That said, you make an excellent point about full disclosure so I added a line saying: "In the interest of disclosure it should be note that Film critic Jason Evans has a family connection to the singer/actress Andra Day. Nonetheless, his review here reflects his honest feelings about the film."

If she had sucked, I would have said it. But she is remarkable in this role.
    Last edited by JasonEvans; 02-25-2021 at 07:21 AM.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

WSJ has a review of a new Netflix documentary series called “Age of Samurai: Battle For Japan” that looks quite interesting. May need to start this over the weekend.

Holy ]%{¥[}>, Andra Day just won a Golden Globe. My brother was the goofy looking dude behind her crying when she won. His phone is gonna light up with folks who want her for their movies. Wow... can’t even tell you how insane my whole family is going right now.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    So, obviously I'm rather excited about The Muppet Show.
    Answering a question from upthread: Seasons 1-3 were released in their entirety on DVD in 2005/6, but then they just never released Seasons 4 & 5.
    They used to rerun them on Nickelodeon back in the early aughts, so I've already seen almost every episode, but some of them only via crappy YouTube uploads (the Johnny Cash episode for example), and there are a handful I've never seen (such as the Debbie Harry episode).
    I'm nearly finished with Season 1 now...working my way through in chronological order. It's funnier than I remembered, and should honestly be studied as a modern(ish) version of the traditional variety show...that sort of thing just doesn't exist anymore, and for my money is the very best employment of the Muppets as originally conceived.
    I have those seasons on DVD, but I also have a set of about 11(?) dvds each with three episodes. Plus a Time Life set of four, which repeated one that I had. I am only missing a few episodes total. I used to have a list of the ones that were missing.

Holy ]%{¥[}>, Andra Day just won a Golden Globe. My brother was the goofy looking dude behind her crying when she won. His phone is gonna light up with folks who want her for their movies. Wow... can’t even tell you how insane my whole family is going right now.
    Cool. Congrats to your brother! Hope The United States vs BH received high marks in your reviews; could make for an awkward family reunion if not.

Jason, I’m eager to hear your thoughts about ‘Raya and the Last Dragon’. Seen it yet?
    I’m wondering if I should feel urgency about ponying up the $20 to watch it soon, or whether I should just wait out the 30 days or whatever.

The Social Dilemma

This may have been discussed and I missed it, but has anyone else watched the documentary/drama The Social Dilemma on Netflix? I highly recommend it, especially if you have teens or pre-teens. It's enlightening and absolutely frightening.

The Social Dilemma is a powerful exploration of the disproportionate impact that a relatively small number of engineers in Silicon Valley have over the way we think, act, and live our lives. The film deftly tackles an underlying cause of our viral conspiracy theories, teenage mental health issues, rampant misinformation and political polarization, and makes these issues visceral, understandable, and urgent.
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

In & Of Itself

OK, time to ask a pro, Jason - or anyone who can fill me in a little on what I watched yesterday. I heard part of an interview yesterday on NPR talking about "In & Of Itself" by Derek Delgaudio. I'm not going to try and describe it other than to say you'll see card tricks, sleight of hand, and hear a life story. It's amazing, funny and dead serious. And that doesn't really begin to describe it.

I think it's been a while since I've spent two hours being so thoughtful and intent while watching a movie, and I certainly noticed that the audience members they showed in the movie seemed deeply thoughtful and intense as they watched and listened to what Derek had to say.

I've done a little Googling this morning, but I'm still not sure if I saw an actual compilation of his stage plays, a movie meant to represent his stage plays, or the entire thing was made up. I did notice that Frank Oz directed it, so I expected something a little different.

But it went way past a little different. I think I might have been a little better prepared if the program had begun with John Cleese saying, "And now for something completely different". But only a little better prepared.

So Jason, are you or anyone familiar with what Delgaudio does or what this movie was really about??

Oh, and I do recommend this if you're looking for something different. It's on Hulu.

Quote Originally Posted by Ggallagher View Post
    OK, time to ask a pro, Jason - or anyone who can fill me in a little on what I watched yesterday. I heard part of an interview yesterday on NPR talking about "In & Of Itself" by Derek Delgaudio. I'm not going to try and describe it other than to say you'll see card tricks, sleight of hand, and hear a life story. It's amazing, funny and dead serious. And that doesn't really begin to describe it.

I think it's been a while since I've spent two hours being so thoughtful and intent while watching a movie, and I certainly noticed that the audience members they showed in the movie seemed deeply thoughtful and intense as they watched and listened to what Derek had to say.

I've done a little Googling this morning, but I'm still not sure if I saw an actual compilation of his stage plays, a movie meant to represent his stage plays, or the entire thing was made up. I did notice that Frank Oz directed it, so I expected something a little different.

But it went way past a little different. I think I might have been a little better prepared if the program had begun with John Cleese saying, "And now for something completely different". But only a little better prepared.

So Jason, are you or anyone familiar with what Delgaudio does or what this movie was really about??

Oh, and I do recommend this if you're looking for something different. It's on Hulu.
    I have not seen it, but after reading what you wrote and watching this trailer, I plan to check it out!

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    Jason, I’m eager to hear your thoughts about ‘Raya and the Last Dragon’. Seen it yet?
    I’m wondering if I should feel urgency about ponying up the $20 to watch it soon, or whether I should just wait out the 30 days or whatever.
    I've got a screener and am planning to watch it in the next day or so... will let you know as soon as I am done.

I have not seen it, but after reading what you wrote and watching this trailer, I plan to check it out!

Great. And all I can say is, "Stick with it" For maybe the first 20 or 25 minutes, I was just thinking "What the heck is going on here?" And then it grabbed me.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    This may have been discussed and I missed it, but has anyone else watched the documentary/drama The Social Dilemma on Netflix? I highly recommend it, especially if you have teens or pre-teens. It's enlightening and absolutely frightening.

It is frightening and is the most important topic of the 21st century. I highly recommend the "Rabbit Hole" podcast series by the NY Times as well.

https://www.nytimes.com/column/rabbit-hole

Quote Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
    It is frightening and is the most important topic of the 21st century. I highly recommend the "Rabbit Hole" podcast series by the NY Times as well.

https://www.nytimes.com/column/rabbit-hole
    Well, that's horrifying.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post

Just watched on your recommendation. I agree that this problem has enormous implications on our children, our society, our democracy and also our individual lives. It is not an exaggeration to say this might be the single most important issue we need to solve in this and the upcoming generation. The problem is how?

Raya and the Last Dragon

It may be a little simplistic, but Raya and the Last Dragon has enough story to keep audiences of all ages engaged. And the animation is really gorgeous. Here is my 100-word review: https://flixchat.blogspot.com/2021/0...-raya-and.html