Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jacone21 View Post
    Popcorn. It stinks up the whole building when someone cooks it in the microwave. And when you eat it, you spend the next 8 hours picking it from your teeth. Yuck.
    I never liked it in my youth but I can eat a whole bag now.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    Strongly agree. IMO, like the Beatles, Dylan is the best in his game.

When it was time to name a kid, our boy name was Dylan and girl name was Lennon.
    I could not agree more about both The Beatles and Bob Dylan. Their brilliance has stood, and will continue to stand, the test of time. They are the ones who every pretender to the throne will always be measured against.

P.S. LOVE the names you chose for your kids! Wow

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    I could not agree more about both The Beatles and Bob Dylan. Their brilliance has stood, and will continue to stand, the test of time. They are the ones who every pretender to the throne will always be measured against.

P.S. LOVE the names you chose for your kids! Wow
    Yup.

And Jeffrey, you did a great job with the names. I unfortunately deferred to MrsPK on the kid names, thus my son Captain and my daughter Tennille.

5-hour Energy

Apparently it has a huge following. I can see the meeting where it was pitched: “There’s this pill, see. It costs a few pennies to make. Let’s change it from pill to liquid, put it in a little bottle, change its name from ‘Placebo’ to ‘5-hour Energy’ and market the heck out of it.”
    Last edited by camion; 05-07-2020 at 11:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DUKIECB View Post
    Ha I knew I'd ruffle some feathers. It's not that I can't stand them because I do like some of their music. I guess I just like my music a little more on the rock side of things. I definitely do not hate them, it's just that I don't see what all the fuss is about is a better way of putting it.
    You’ve got to listen to their albums all the way through. Just listening to their songs that are played on the radio or in movies or at a Cirque du Soleil show in Las Vegas (The Beatles LOVE show has been running since 2006 and still going strong) isn’t the best way to get to know and appreciate the music of The Beatles. Many of their best songs never received much, if any, radio play. Plus, The Beatles were the quintessential album band. They are the ones who made the LP a thing.

Additionally, it helps to learn about the many innovations they brought to music, so you understand the fuller picture of their impact. Getting to know the individual bandmembers — John, Paul, George, and Ringo — especially through the eyes of other musicians, adds a great deal as well. Whichever bands or individual artists you like, it is quite likely that The Beatles were a big influence on them. There’s a reason — well, many reasons, actually — that they are the biggest phenomenon in the history of popular music. Give them an objective chance. I think eventually you’ll be very happy you did.

Quote Originally Posted by Stray Gator View Post
    I think the Beatles will forever be admired most by those of us who were contemporaries of their emergence as a musical influence, and who experienced firsthand the cultural phenomenon they created. Context is always important in analyzing the historical impact of personalities and events.

For Boomers, one of our most prominent generation-defining events was the assassination of President Kennedy. If you go back and examine the Billboard Top 50 on the day after that tragedy, you'll see that the state of American popular music was pretty much a wasteland. The Number 1 record -- back then, sales were measured based on the sales of 45 rpm singles -- was "I'm Leaving It Up To You," by Dale and Grace. The Top Ten was populated by such memorable toe-tappers as "She's A Fool" by Leslie Gore, "Bossa Nova Baby" by Elvis Presley, and "Dominique" by The Singing Nun. Seriously; you can look for yourself. Just 10 weeks later, the Beatles reached Number 1 for the first time with "I Want To Hold Your Hand" -- a song that had vaulted 42 spots to #3 the week before. Also on the Billboard chart for February 1, 1964 was "She Loves You," which had jumped an incredible 48 spots to #21 in one week.

The Beatles brought a fresh sound, a fresh look, and a fresh personality to an American youth that was hungry for a new fad. They weren't surfer boys or hot rod racers or hootenanny folkies who happened to pick up instruments and harmonize a two-and-a-half-minute rhythmic rhyme. They were talented musicians, who looked and acted a bit funny, and spoke with charmingly different -- but not too different -- accents. In addition, they produced a seemingly endless series of songs in quick succession that didn't sound alike, but all of which had catchy tunes and easily memorable lyrics. Unlike other artists, their 45 records had no "B" sides; both sides were typically hits. But most importantly -- and this is what I believe ultimately elevated them to a special plateau -- both they and their music continued to evolve, introducing innovations in sound and style that created trends for others to follow. But I digress . . .

Include me in the group that never found Bruce Springsteen's music to be particularly notable or enjoyable. As for country music, I don't care for the commercially successful Nashville sound or Bakersfield sound; but I really like a lot of the older country and bluegrass music -- for example, I consider my copy of "Will The Circle Be Unbroken" by the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band, with a star-studded cast of country and bluegrass artists, to be a treasure. Regarding Dylan, I have similar mixed feelings -- I certainly admire his songwriting throughout his career, and I rate "Blood On The Tracks" as one of my Top Ten albums; but other than that album and occasionally "Nashville Skyline," I don't really much enjoy listening to his records.

Finally, since this thread seems to invite expressions of opinion about favorite musicians or, more broadly perhaps, most respected musical artists, allow me to cast a vote for a singer/songwriter/guitarist who, I believe, has demonstrated extraordinary versatility by succeeding as a songwriter and performer across multiple genres, both solo and with a number of well-known groups, over a period of six decades: Neil Young.
    Stray Gator repping Neil and the Beatles is seriously the best part of my day. Gorgeous sunset with the kids excluded.

I get how Springsteen is cropping up here. I never understood the deep reverence for the boss, but so many people who really love music really love him, I have tried sincerely to understand.

My takeaway:

Nebraska is a masterpiece. If Bruce Springsteen had only recorded that one album and then drowned in the Mississippi like Jeff Buckley I wonder if I would think of them the same way?

I can get into Tenth Avenue Freeze Out as a nice day anthem.

Dancing in the Dark is hot.

That does it for my Bruce fix.
    Carolina delenda est

Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    CS&N — It’s like if the BeeGees were hippies.
    You really got me with that one!

Quote Originally Posted by left_hook_lacey View Post
    I'm super weird on this one. I love eggs. Scrambled, sunny side up, over easy, you name it. And eggs over medium mixed in my grandma's homemade grits is probably my favorite meal of all time.

But I absolutely hate omelets and I cant understand why. I want to love them. I've tried them every way known to man, and I just don't like them. And more often than not, they give me a stomach ache. Maybe its mental
    Yeah, eggs are the best. I could eat them anytime of the day or night. Omelettes are my least favorite form of them, though, and it’s because they usually cook the egg too long and it ends up rubbery.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    Yeah, eggs are the best. I could eat them anytime of the day or night. Omelettes are my least favorite form of them, though, and it’s because they usually cook the egg too long and it ends up rubbery.
    I subscribe to this newsletter. My wife gets annoyed that I say "just put an egg on it" every time we talk about dressing up leftovers. I agree about omelettes. They are my least favorite egg form. I'd much prefer the same ingredients scrambled. I've tried making omelettes at home but I usually get pissed and just start scrambling in my pan. At those Mother's Day Brunch omelette stations, the chef's use god knows what to make the omelettes..

...I effing hate that those omelette station dudes where chef hats. I hate to be a snob but, no, we're just encouraging the spread of food dumb assery with those sorts of accouterments. I guess what I'm saying is that I feel the same way about unearned chef's hats as Dwight Schrute does about unearned karate belts.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    I subscribe to this newsletter. My wife gets annoyed that I say "just put an egg on it" every time we talk about dressing up leftovers. I agree about omelettes. They are my least favorite egg form. I'd much prefer the same ingredients scrambled. I've tried making omelettes at home but I usually get pissed and just start scrambling in my pan. At those Mother's Day Brunch omelette stations, the chef's use god knows what to make the omelettes..

...I effing hate that those omelette station dudes where chef hats. I hate to be a snob but, no, we're just encouraging the spread of food dumb assery with those sorts of accouterments. I guess what I'm saying is that I feel the same way about unearned chef's hats as Dwight Schrute does about unearned karate belts.
    You people are insane...omelettes are comfortably the best form of egg (there is a case to be made for French Toast, but I don't really consider that a type of egg, its a food with egg as an ingredient). Someone needs to take you folks to Brigs or something.

Also, are Mothers Day Brunch Omelette Stations a thing? I've literally never seen that before, but I guess I also haven't looked for them.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    I think he only hates Crosby.

To be fair, I think both Stills and Nash only hate Crosby too.

(Crosby is a great follow on Twitter btw, very interactive and open about why they all hate him).
    I thought we all agreed that Crosby was a creep now?

Oh... I'm thinking Cosby

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    I thought we all agreed that Crosby was a creep now?

Oh... I'm thinking Cosby
    Different felon. Err, fellow.

I like a pretty wide variety of music but I could never understand what the big deal was with Michael Jackson. Whatever he had was lost on me.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    You people are insane...omelettes are comfortably the best form of egg (there is a case to be made for French Toast, but I don't really consider that a type of egg, its a food with egg as an ingredient). Someone needs to take you folks to Brigs or something.
    I have to agree that a good omelette is a wonderful form of egg. However, if you don't cook the veggies in/with the egg then don't even serve it to me. I can't stand when they cook the omelette and throw some cold veggies into the fold. It's lazy and tastes awful!

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Also, are Mothers Day Brunch Omelette Stations a thing? I've literally never seen that before, but I guess I also haven't looked for them.
    Omelette stations are great and can be found in many hotel breakfasts and brunches, not just for Mother's Day.
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    I have to agree that a good omelette is a wonderful form of egg. However, if you don't cook the veggies in/with the egg then don't even serve it to me. I can't stand when they cook the omelette and throw some cold veggies into the fold. It's lazy and tastes awful!
    I wouldn't even call that an omelette. What you described sounds awful, I wouldn't want that either.

Omelette stations are great and can be found in many hotel breakfasts and brunches, not just for Mother's Day.
    Oh, I'm familiar with omelette stations (we had one in the cafeteria at college!), I just didn't know it was a big Mother's Day thing.

Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post
    5-hour Energy

Apparently it has a huge following. I can see the meeting where it was pitched: “There’s this pill, see. It costs a few pennies to make. Let’s change it from pill to liquid, put it in a little bottle, change its name from ‘Placebo’ to ‘5-hour Energy’ and market the heck out of it.”
    I'd like to add all energy drinks to this. I know they're not exactly the same, but the thought process of the consumer is the same.

And why is it that IT guys seem to chug these things religiously?

And gamers too. They wear the hats and everything.

Quote Originally Posted by left_hook_lacey View Post
    I agree with the part about the crap out today. But as far as nobody liking it, that's not true.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/cbs-new...e-music-genre/
    I didn't believe the one poll so I looked up some others and yes, people do still like country music. I stand corrected. I guess I have shrunk my personal circle of friends to exclude anyone who listens to country music.
    "That young man has an extra step on his ladder the rest of us just don't have."

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Same thing happened to me with Pepe Lopez tequila.
    I just spat my tea all over my keyboard. For some reason, I went straight to a 6 year old OldPhiKap doing tequila shots at a birthday party and running around like crazy.
    "That young man has an extra step on his ladder the rest of us just don't have."

Nobody likes a rubbery omelet or one with cold, raw veggies inside.

I renew my call for all people on the fence about omelets to check out Charlie's in Norfolk, VA. Eat an omelet there at least once before you decide omelets aren't good. You know y'all want to come visit Tidewater at some point anyway, right? Or you could stop at Charlie's on your way to the Outer Banks of North Carolina, if you are coming from up north or from the midwest.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    Nobody likes a rubbery omelet or one with cold, raw veggies inside.

I renew my call for all people on the fence about omelets to check out Charlie's in Norfolk, VA. Eat an omelet there at least once before you decide omelets aren't good. You know y'all want to come visit Tidewater at some point anyway, right? Or you could stop at Charlie's on your way to the Outer Banks of North Carolina, if you are coming from up north or from the midwest.
    Sounds delicious.

Bob Green's treating, amirite?

[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.